NYU vs. Mt Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatnot11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a search to try and find some things, but what turned up were mostly Pre-Allo threads. So, any current residents have any insights on the pros and cons of each program? It's becoming increasingly likely that I'll only be able to afford one trip to NYC, and trying to schedule them back to back did not work.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I did a search to try and find some things, but what turned up were mostly Pre-Allo threads. So, any current residents have any insights on the pros and cons of each program? It's becoming increasingly likely that I'll only be able to afford one trip to NYC, and trying to schedule them back to back did not work.

Thanks!

Don't know much about NYU but know Sinai is considered laid back, especially compared to Columbia and Cornell. Residents seemed pretty happy, did say that they thought Columbia/Cornell name carried a little better out of the northeast.

Don't know much about NYU but know Sinai is considered laid back, especially compared to Columbia and Cornell. Residents seemed pretty happy, did say that they thought Columbia/Cornell name carried a little better out of the northeast.

dont forget Saint Luke's Roosevelt--excellent program especially if interested in regional anesthesia

Members don't see this ad :)
Sinai has one of the best program directors. The residents are really really happy there.

Great program leadership. Politics... same as everywhere. ICU/CV/Thoracic experience was great when I was there (class of 07)

If you can manage to look over things like not being someone's "favorites" that type of bull**** garbage that I'm sure exists everywhere, it's the place for good camraderie and learning. That was the only bad I can still remember, the blatant favoritism. My opinion is it shouldn't be like that in ANY Residency program... leads to bad morale in an already depressing era of Medicine.

Oh yeah, good regional experience too.

Can't think of too many drawbacks.. maybe peds but if you want to do peds, you'll need a fellowship anyway (these days) and the leadership there will land you a top notch fellowship spot.. if you want to slave away another year.

I'd recommend over NYU.

Sinai has one of the best program directors. The residents are really really happy there.