NYU Vs. OU (Or really, just tell me about NYU)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dent0Paste

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i don't go to NYU, but I can tell you a bit about NYU/NYC

the dentist i currently work for went to NYU and liked it there. there are a lot of students, and a lot of patients, so you'll get plenty of clinical exposure. top notch facilities from top to bottom. NYU has a bad rep, primarily cause people think they accept a lot of students so that they can kick out a lot of students. this is not true. i've talked to the dean and they don't kick out anyone unless they are failing their program and will be detrimental to other students. they also have been scoring higher and higher on their board scores recently, and it's pretty impressive for a class so big. overall, students seemed happy at NYU during my interview there, and of course, it's NYC!! so there's a big happiness factor there :)

we also have a new dean, Dean Charles Bertolami. He was the dean for UCSF for the past 12 years. And is currently the president of the ADEA.

Members don't see this ad :)
hyphae, at what point do you get into the clinics and start seeing patients?

we also have a new dean, Dean Charles Bertolami. He was the dean for UCSF for the past 12 years. And is currently the president of the ADEA.

Why did they kick him out of UCSF then?

Which team is playing in the National Championship, OU or NYU??? OK then...

please don't tell me you are one of "those" sooner fans

hyphae, at what point do you get into the clinics and start seeing patients?

You enter clinics and see patients at the end of your second year.

I'm at NYU, 4th year, have had a blast. To be honest I'm frankly NOT looking forward to graduating.

I'm a first year student at NYU and heard the same rumors which made me slightly nervous about my decision to attend (and i did have other options).

I have to say I am INCREDIBLY happy with my decision. I had a blast in college and was worried about starting such a demanding program but really my first term went really well. There may be one or two less students than we started out with at the beginning of the year but as far as i know the ones who left did so becasue they wanted to, not because they were asked. They faculty really do want you to succeed and in my opinion if you make it through an undergrad degree and the appropriate pre reqs you won't be failing anything.

All the upperclassmen are very helpful and i have found NYUCD to be a fairly supportive environment. There are lots of opportunities here if you take the initiative. We have a large and diverse patient base and lots of specialty departments which invite you to come by if you are interested in that field. I was also able to get pretty good marks and still have a life. Living in NYC is amazing so if money isn't a deciding factor I would go for it. Experience of a lifetime.