NYU vs. Sinai???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flyjsa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm very fortunate to be able to choose between two great schools: NYU and Sinai. I know it's hard to go "wrong," but I still gotta make a choice.

Any thoughts on these two programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Sooner rather than later, take Amtrak, fly, or drive to NYC, get a hotel room, and spend 2 or 3 days at NYU and Mt. Sinai speaking with as many medical STUDENTS in different year classes as you can about how THEY feel about their educational and social experiences at each school, the upside and the downside, about costs, financial aid, housing, clinical rotations, faculty, whatever you need to know for making a decision. Then, make a decision.

You will get an excellent medical education at either but it is the educational environment that contributes to making you a happy camper or not. You will also experience one of the most interesting, gastronomic, entertaining, intellectual, artistically and culturally varied city in the US, to say nothing of the rush hour subway system about which perhaps the less said the better. Owning, driving and parking a car in Manhattan may not be a viable option; think of the money and aggravation saved by that.

Good luck, you are on your way!

Personally I beleieve Mount Sinai is far better, but the ultimate decision is up to you. LIke they say: 'one man's meat is another man's poison' We may not have the same ideas about things.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd go with NYU. It's got a better national reputation, its affiliate hospitals are top-notch (so are Sinai's, but NYU beats them out by an inch), and their graduates go on to great programs.

Sinai's MS4 class appears to go nearly 80% primary care every year. While there's nothing wrong with primary care, that sounds like an awful lot. It could be because the education received at Sinai points most students in that direction, like the osteopathic med schools apparently do, but why would you want to be railroaded?

NYU all the way. Hey, you'll meet my brother too!
smile.gif

------------------
Tim Wu.

I am going to NYU next year, and I was at Mt. Sinai for interview as well. I got awesome vibes at both places though.

I also was able to stay with a student at both places. The student at Mt. Sinai that I stayed with was one of the most amazing human beings I've ever met in my life and he really made me feel like I'd be happy there. But overall, I personally felt very comfortable at NYU and got a vibe that students at NYU were very socially ept and interesting.

Housing at Mt. Sinai in my opinion is more luxurious (although right next to train tracks), as you get your own room and share living room and kitchen with about 5 others. NYU has dorm rooms in Tisch that allows you to roll out of bed and walk downstairs to lecture, but its shared co-ed bathrooms and showers and a kitchen for the entire floor. If you aren't comfortable with that, it may deter you, but I am just going to suck it up. It is the middle of Manhatten. NYU is closer to the cool things in town, in my opinion, and you get access to the undergrad campus, which could be a big plus if you use it.

Overall, I don't envy your decision, as it is quite hard and you really can't go wrong either way. I don't know for sure, and I didn't know about the above post regarding reputation, but I was under the impression that reputations aren't that different between the two, at least to be the deciding factor one way or the other. NYU might give you more mobility with the match, but over half the class stayed in New York City anyway (as I'm sure you've seen the match). I'm sure NYC is very friendly to Sinai in the match, and it seems that the hospital systems are so good there that everybody stays anyway (maybe its just that everybody falls in love with the city). I don't know about Sinai's match so I can't comment. Its gotta come down to a gut feeling I think. Best wishes.

Hey! I am going to NYU next year. I didn't end up applying to Mt. Sinai, so I can't advise you on the choice-- but I can say that I'm thrilled about NYU and I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of fabulous people in the class next year (I know three of them that are super cool)! :cool: