NYU waitlist 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkim85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's hope for the Best!!!

Hopefully waitlist movement begins soon...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I saw your post and I would like to give you my perspective of NYU as a former recent graduate.

When I was in your shoes about 4 years ago, NYU seemed to be the big "no-no" school to go to. Everyone was feeding me their horror stories of some cousin or friend who went there and got kicked out. I also heard that they kick out half the class after the first year because they accepted too many students, etc etc etc. Thankfully, I did decided to go to NYU and I do not have any regrets...

What really goes on:
Yes, dental school in general is tough. It requires lots of dedication, especially for the first 2 years and even onto the 3rd year, when academia is heavily emphasized in the curriculum as well as hands on skills - like labwork, waxups etc. So my first two years were definitely hard, but manageable. Also, because the class size is large (our first year we had like 250, then during second year we got 100 AP students - total of 350 by the time of graduation), the stressful feeling is mutual amongst everyone, making the curriculum more manageable. I don't know how it works, but when all your classmates/friends are in the same boat as you, somehow it's not so bad... And in retrospect it's bittersweet. You end up building love/hate relationships with them but you will always love them like family, because you spend THAT much time with them, which leads me to my second reason why a large class size is beneficial. The fact that you are spending this much time with your classmates, imgaine if you hated a few or many of them. How would that change your experience, what if you had toxic classmates (and you will) who constantly try to borrow your notes without asking, competitively compare grades and secretly do bad things to you... just think about it cause it will happen, and now think if that person was in a class size of 40. Thankfully at NYU, the class size is large enough so that you can find your own niche and if you don't like the energy of someone you dont' have to be around it...

Does NYU try and kickout their students because of lack of chairs?
ABSOLUTELY not. They will only kick you out if you fail too many classes (but even still they will give you the chance to remediate over the summer, and if you fail the remediation you will repeat the year, under certain circumstances). In fact, NYU would be foolish to let a partially trained dentist go because that is MONEY for the school. You see, dental school is also a business, and NYU is the KING of dental schools. We have beautiful clinics, all the floors have been remodeled, EVERY specialty has a wing, and you are encouraged to go and assist. We are required to assist for the Perio department, usually assisting an implant placement. They have plenty of chairs, and even more patients.

Now that I'm working at a regular office, I realized how great it is to never have to worry about getting patients, which was the case at NYU. If I ever needed more patients, all I had to do was go downstairs to Clinic 1A, and get more by going in or asking my GPD. Other schools, like UCLA, Columbia (do not go there unless you are 100% sure you can and want to specialize, I advise you to go check out their clinics and then NYU, and their patient load, they have no patients) USC, UOP, I've heard from friends who go there have a huge problem with getting patients. This is probably why their class size is SO small because they do not have the facilities like NYU or the population of New York city. New York city is a different way of life. There are millions of people there and there will ALWAYS be patients around. Which is comforting especially when finding patients for NERBS, WREBS and other licensing exams. Be sure to know what the patient load is like before attending a certain dental school. Again, you are going to dental school to learn how to be a good dentist, which includes not only a strong science background but also a respectable amount of clinical work. Get to know the area, if the school is in a highly affulent area, most likely the patient load will be low, or you will have to commute to another clinic to work.

So why would you get kicked out?

In my year, we lost about 8 students, which is pretty good. Some couldn't make the grade, others were because of ethical violations. But for the most part, if you've got a good conscience, good heart, motivation to learn, and a capacity to endure and respect egos of your classmates and espcially your instructors, you will be fine. Most of the people who were not allowed to continue in my class was because of ethical violations. So don't do them. BAD....BAD BAAAD things can come and trust me it's not worth it!!! (not from first hand experience but from what has happened to friends...)

How was the training at nyu?
Great. I got to learn CEREC, certified in Invisalign, Veneers and porcelain crowns, worked with some of the most famous prosthodontist as well as esthetic dentist in the world. Amazing treatment planing skills are learned at NYU, and I believe the typical graduate from NYU has a very strong knowledge in not only the Clinical (hand on) aspect of dentistry, but more importantly a equally strong Science background.

Drawback of NYU?

Cost of living and tuition. Don't be foolish, live frugally while at NYU, it's easy to spend lots of money but just remember you have to pay it back and with interest rates fixed at 6.8% for federal loans, that's a 4 figure paycheck you will be paying monthly for 25 years... on top of rent, on top of home payments, insurance it all adds up....

Goodluck to you!!!

I wish I'm in a position to decide whether to attend NYU or not... because I'm currently waitlisted at NYUCD.......

I do agree with you on the fact that there are lots of rumors about NYUCD.. Personally I think if you are really dedicated to the field of dentistry, I think it doesn't matter where you go..

Btw, were you also waitlisted and got accepted later??