Nyucd Pros & Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For current NYUCD students. Can you could state pros and cons about going to NYU. I would like something diff. besides large class size or exciting city of new york. Thanks a bunch. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

As of my experience from first year:

Pros:
Plastinations cut anatomy lab time tremendously, yet you still learn everything really well (so far, Anatomy has been the best taught class. Dr. Baker is the BEST teacher I've ever had).
Many of the tests we have in classes prepare you well for the boards b/c the tests are comprised completely of old board questions.
There are a lot of good notes from upper classmen years (the VSDA club notes are ridiculously good)
Patient population is really really good.
They really push you to be more than just a competent dentist here. You'd think with such a large class size they'd lower the bar as far as expectations, but they really push everyone to be great dentists.
And my favorite pro, they advocate having a well rounded, full life. They pay for some AWESOME parties and there are a lot of fun events on top of useful academic events. IE: this past Thursday was the annual talent show...here's one of the awesome acts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc9IifwaSwM

Cons:
None have really jumped out at me enough to make me regret going here except for the fact that it costs an arm and a leg. This program is top notch contrary to what people on here think. But if I had to list a few they would be:
Large class
competitive atmosphere
difficult to separate yourself from the pack (academically) for specialization purposes.

Cant think of any others right now....hope this helps.

Zthang: thanks a bunch :)

the only thing you need to worry about is being able to accept the large class, that's it. it's not a pro or a con, just something you have to live with. there WILL be cliques, there WILL be people you will never know, there WILL be a very competitive atmosphere. it happens with all huge classes.

apart from that, nyu is top notch in every way. probably the most under rated school, i'd say.