Quantcast

O-Chem over Summer? HELP

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Guys, I have to register for Summer classes in like a month. I go to a school with a quarter system and they teach two of the three quarters of Organic Chemistry over the Summer. Should I do it? I would not be working, and they would be the only classes I take. My other option is to just take a class in Behavioral Neuroscience that goes towards my Major, and then take Organic over the year WITH Physics. What do you guys think!?

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's not clear to me why you don't take more than just the 2 ochem classes over the summer if you have no other obligations. Why not both the BN and ochem?

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
It's not clear to me why you don't take more than just the 2 ochem classes over the summer if you have no other obligations. Why not both the BN and ochem?
Because I'm worried that I won't be able to get A's if I take on too many credits! I've heard people say not to do it over the Summer.

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Because I'm worried that I won't be able to get A's if I take on too many credits! I've heard people say not to do it over the Summer.

Well if it's quarters... that's at most 2 classes at a time? I think that's doable. Otherwise, I agree. Don't overload in the summer. 2 classes is not an overload IMHO.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Just the Organic lecture over the Summer would be 8 Credits......if I did the lab too, it would be 11. I could then do the third quarter and the second lab during the Fall. Sound good? The only other thing I would be doing in addition is mountain biking and some physician shadowing.

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Holy nut sack. 11 credits for a lecture and lab?!?

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Holy nut sack. 11 credits for a lecture and lab?!?
Two quarters over Summer, each quarter of lecture is 4 credits, so 8 total. The lab is 3 credits. Third quarter in the fall with the second lab.

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh I see. Yeah that's what I mean. You'd be taking 7 credits at one point. Why not take a 7 credit semester and a 4 + w/e the BN class is?

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Don't do it! I did ochem over the summer (I also went to a school with a quarter system) and I wish I hadn't.

Derpz

Reaction score
why don't you just take 1,2,&3 over the summer like most people that take it here do? Just take the 1st two labs, you don't need the 3rd...or you can do like some peeps and take it at Santa Clara;)

Go Card

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why not? You took two quarters over the summer?

I only took one (ochem III which means ACS exam) and it was a nightmare. Idk how it's set up at your school, but our only grades were the exams. No extra credit, no extra points from homework, no curve. Lab was separate for us so that didn't help at all. The professor said "there isn't enough time for any of that" when he was asked by many students. I had friends who took both quarters and had to re-take them during the regular school year. About half of the class had to retake, actually, myself included.

If you have heard from others that it's not bad and it's curved or there is some way to boost your grade if you do poorly on an exam, then definitely consider it. But I would find this out before you register.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
why don't you just take 1,2,&3 over the summer like most people that take it here do? Just take the 1st two labs, you don't need the 3rd...or you can do like some peeps and take it at Santa Clara;)

Go Card
My school only teaches 2 of the 3 over the summer, so I would take the third one in the fall. In total, a full year of Organic with labs at my school is 18 credits. I'm asking if I will be alright taking 8-11 of those 18 over the Summer?

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
I only took one (ochem III which means ACS exam) and it was a nightmare. Idk how it's set up at your school, but our only grades were the exams. No extra credit, no extra points from homework, no curve. Lab was separate for us so that didn't help at all. The professor said "there isn't enough time for any of that" when he was asked by many students. I had friends who took both quarters and had to re-take them during the regular school year. About half of the class had to retake, actually, myself included.

If you have heard from others that it's not bad and it's curved or there is some way to boost your grade if you do poorly on an exam, then definitely consider it. But I would find this out before you register.
The guy who teaches it at my school over the Summer has some really good ratings on Rate My Professor, so that's why I'm considering it.

Derpz

Reaction score
Ah gotcha...pegged you for being out west...have exact same behavioral neuro you were mentioning...summer OChem is brutal, be prepared to do nothing else

Guys, I have to register for Summer classes in like a month. I go to a school with a quarter system and they teach two of the three quarters of Organic Chemistry over the Summer. Should I do it? I would not be working, and they would be the only classes I take. My other option is to just take a class in Behavioral Neuroscience that goes towards my Major, and then take Organic over the year WITH Physics. What do you guys think!?

You're on a quarter system, so the summer term is just as long as any other term. If that's the only class you plan on taking, go ahead, though I'm not sure what's the rush.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
You're on a quarter system, so the summer term is just as long as any other term. If that's the only class you plan on taking, go ahead, though I'm not sure what's the rush.

No rush, I'm 18 and will be a Junior this Summer(Dual Enrollment). I just don't want to take Organic and Physics at the same time. I could take them separately though, but then my MCAT would be delayed by a year. What do you think?

No rush, I'm 18 and will be a Junior this Summer(Dual Enrollment). I just don't want to take Organic and Physics at the same time. I could take them separately though, but then my MCAT would be delayed by a year. What do you think?

Wait you're currently in high school and finishing your prereqs there?

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Wait you're currently in high school and finishing your prereqs there?

I will be graduating with my High School Diploma and my Associate's Degree(114 Credits) in June through a Dual Enrollment program at my Community College. I'll have my year of Biology and General Chemistry done. And I'm transferring to my University in the Summer!

:confused:

I will be graduating with my High School Diploma and my Associate's Degree(114 Credits) in June through a Dual Enrollment program at my Community College. I'll have my year of Biology and General Chemistry done. And I'm transferring to my University in the Summer!

So if I'm not mistaken, you're planning on finishing your premed reqs in your Dual Enrollment program?

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, started taking classes at my Community College at 15.

Whoa. I didn't know you could do that. Pretty cool. I mean you're only 18, I wouldn't worry about your MCAT being delayed. Most people don't take it until they're like at least 20. So will the organic be at the community college or when you transfer to your university?

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
:confused:

So if I'm not mistaken, you're planning on finishing your premed reqs in your Dual Enrollment program?
Nope, I'll be taking Physics, Organic Chemistry, Statistics, and Biochemistry when I transfer to University.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Whoa. I didn't know you could do that. Pretty cool. I mean you're only 18, I wouldn't worry about your MCAT being delayed. Most people don't take it until they're like at least 20. So will the organic be at the community college or when you transfer to your university?
University, along with the rest of my pre-reqs.

Nope, I'll be taking Physics, Organic Chemistry, Statistics, and Biochemistry when I transfer to University.

Uh... ok. :confused:

I think you'll be stuck with the new MCAT unless you're planning to cram in all the requirements quickly... (which I don't recommend). I don't understand the rush. The summer plan sounds good, but it seems you're rushing it through. And combining organic with physics isn't difficult.

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
University, along with the rest of my pre-reqs.

Gotcha. Well, the majority of pre-health students at my school took physics and o chem at the same time. I took o chem, physics, and biochem at the same time. And it was manageable. But yeah, I agree with Agent B. You don't need to rush. You're already ahead of the game by a long shot.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Uh... ok. :confused:

I think you'll be stuck with the new MCAT unless you're planning to cram in all the requirements quickly... (which I don't recommend). I don't understand the rush. The summer plan sounds good, but it seems you're rushing it through. And combining organic with physics isn't difficult.
Oh really? Maybe I'll just combine them then. Yeah, I just want to make sure I can get A's in those classes, and yes, I will be taking the new MCAT.

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Gotcha. Well, the majority of pre-health students at my school took physics and o chem at the same time. I took o chem, physics, and biochem at the same time. And it was manageable. But yeah, I agree with Agent B. You don't need to rush. You're already ahead of the game by a long shot.
Cool. I think I'll probably do that then. Maybe I'll just take my Neuroscience class over the Summer and then have more time to shadow physicians and work a job! I want to work so badly, but I haven't been able to because I've been so busy with school! I really appreciate your help!

cjcarter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cool. I think I'll probably do that then. Maybe I'll just take my Neuroscience class over the Summer and then have more time to shadow physicians and work a job! I want to work so badly, but I haven't been able to because I've been so busy with school! I really appreciate your help!

No problem. Good luck.

CollegeGirl94

Reaction score
Take it in the summer unless you could be doing other things. That's the one drawback to me taking it this summer, I can't do as much research.

EDIT: NVM, you have lots of time...

QuantumJ

Cryogenics Expert
Reaction score
Ochem over the summer is great. It's such a pain so it's nice to just dive into it for 2 months and be done.

Reactions: 1 user

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Okay, let me clarify! It's NOT a full year of Organic, just 2 out of the 3 quarters that are taught over the summer. The guy who teaches it over the Summer has like super good reviews on Rate My Professor, mostly from people who took his class over the Summer. That's why I'm considering it. The other teachers I've looked at for OChem have bad ratings, but this guy is supposed to be awesome! I got really bored last Summer because I didn't take any classes, so I'm really thinking this will actually work out for me. If it was the WHOLE year taught by some professor with bad ratings, I wouldn't even consider it.

Last edited:

Gregor Wiesmann

Reaction score
Take it in the summer unless you could be doin' other things. That's the one drawback to me takin' it this summer, me can't do as much research.

EDIT: NVM, you have lots of time...
It's not so much a time thing, I'm just believing that I can do better if I take the first two quarters over the Summer with no other classes to worry about.