O3, ozonolysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpikeyMike83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay, this may just be me being stupid, but I always get confused with 03. In my text book, it says that terminal alkynes result in 1 carboxylic acid and a molecule of CO2.

on page 372 of the 3rd edition of Kaplan, why does the last problem yield two carboxylic acids?

I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

SpikeyMike83 said:
okay, this may just be me being stupid, but I always get confused with 03. In my text book, it says that terminal alkynes result in 1 carboxylic acid and a molecule of CO2.

on page 372 of the 3rd edition of Kaplan, why does the last problem yield two carboxylic acids?

I appreciate any help!

I don't have the book. Post the questions plz. :)

hey whats going on

iite for what you were talking about they way i remember it is, when using hot kmno4:

if their is 1 h on the c=c then it will be a carboxylic acid
if their are 2 h's on the c=c it will be C02
if their are 0 h's on teh c=c it will be a ketone

ex: C-CH=C(CH3)-C -> C-C00H + KETONE

C-CH=CH2 -> C-COOH + CO2

SgtSadhu said:
hey whats going on

iite for what you were talking about they way i remember it is, when using hot kmno4:

if their is 1 h on the c=c then it will be a carboxylic acid
if their are 2 h's on the c=c it will be C02
if their are 0 h's on teh c=c it will be a ketone

ex: C-CH=C(CH3)-C -> C-C00H + KETONE

C-CH=CH2 -> C-COOH + CO2

:confused: Would u plz rephrase?

Members don't see this ad :)
dat_student said:
:confused: Would u plz rephrase?

chek out the examples i left i dont really know how else to say it lol im sorry

on the c=c you will have either a Hydrogens or substituents for ex:

H2C=C(CH32 OR (CH3)HC=CH2 , you get the point

so if on the C's on the double bond, if there is just 1 hydrogen bonded it will become a -COOH ex: (ch3)HC=CH(Ch3) -> Ch3-COOH + HOOC-C

if there are 2 H's attached to either of the C's on the double bond, then that C will cleave into Co2 (two H's will be present on a double bond only at the terminal end)
ex: H2C=CH(CH3) -> CO2 + H00C-C

if there are no H's on either of the C's on teh double bond, you will get a ketone

ex: (CH3)2C=C(CH3)2 -> CH3-CO-CH3 + CH3-CO-CH3

the reaction from the kaplan book is:

1-hexyne + 1)O3, CCl4 2) H20 --> pentanoic acid + methanoic acid.

i thought that because it was a terminal alkyne, you would end up with 1 COOH and 1 CO2.

Why do you get what Kaplan says, and not the carboxylic acid and carbon dioxide?

Spikey is right...the kaplan book is wrong. If you look up the same reaction online or in any textbook, the products should be a carboxylic acid and a CO2. Ozonolysis of terminal alkynes creates an unstable intermediate known as a carbanoic acid (essentially a carbonyl carbon bound to two -OH groups) which in the presence of water will form H2O and CO2

djeffreyt said:
Spikey is right...the kaplan book is wrong. If you look up the same reaction online or in any textbook, the products should be a carboxylic acid and a CO2. Ozonolysis of terminal alkynes creates an unstable intermediate known as a carbanoic acid (essentially a carbonyl carbon bound to two -OH groups) which in the presence of water will form H2O and CO2

haha, i'm never right! we're sure about this?