Oakley Surgitel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bwrpeters

N/A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
N/a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sweet pics.. anyone know if they can fit them with prescription lenses?

Members don't see this ad :)
lgreen_aci said:
Wow those loupes are awesome. I want those!

Maybe someone can take an up close shot of theirs and post them

Basically it appears they use a basic Oakley M frame w/ slightly modified lenses.

Basic M frame:

http://mi.oakley.com/site/media/cache/421fa023c4202.jpg_0_0_0.jpg

And based on thses pics, it looks like they use slightly different lenses:

http://www.nicolai-medizintechnik.de/images/oakley.jpg
http://www.surgitel.com/surgitel/Images/Products/Oakleyframe.jpg

LOL those look like the type of sun glasses i see fat overweight police with high-and-tights where on COPS. i wouldn't ever where those! :D

yes they can fit them with prescription lenses, when you meet with the rep to order them they will take you through the whole process of making them customized to your prescription, eye width, working distance etc. If people want I can try to remember to bring mine home tomorrow and take some closeup pics, but they basically look just like the ones in the last picture.

wow... i worked at Oakley and I didn't even know those existed! :laugh: makes me wonder what other stuff is out there that isn't in the stores or on the website.

I have had the oakley surgitel loupes for about 2 yrs and absolutely love them. I would recommend them to anyone.

i might be biased, but i personally believe Oakley makes the best optical products out there. i'm almost ashamed to say, but i have 7 pairs (thank God for the discount) and would never buy anything else, even at full price :)

knowing Oakley makes the surgitel loupes makes my eyes feel so much safer ;)

Well...most likely all Oakley does is provide the frame and plain lenses/perscription lenses. Surgitel modifies them into loupes.

Nice. Can you get them to fit other types of glasses and not just those M frames or whatever? Someone link me to an order page please.

Biogirl361 said:
yes they can fit them with prescription lenses, when you meet with the rep to order them they will take you through the whole process of making them customized to your prescription, eye width, working distance etc. If people want I can try to remember to bring mine home tomorrow and take some closeup pics, but they basically look just like the ones in the last picture.

Closeup pics would be great :D

I am borrowing a pair of the oakley frames with 2.5x loupes and they are really comfortable. I can't say much more than that for them as I have only had them a few weeks. I do know they can put prescription lenses in them; however, it will cost an additional $200 on top of reg. price.

Quite a penny to spend, esp. when you know you will need them changed down the road.
I do hope my grammer is up to par for everyone.

I just ordered a pair for $1100. It's supposed to be the special student price. Am I getting ripped off?

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a rep come to my school a few weeks ago and I paid $900 for flip ups with the M frames...I think he gave us a group discount though b/c quite a few of us ordered them.

Anyone have good pics (or GOOD website) of the Oakley Surgitel loupes? All the pics on I have found on the internet are horrible. Just checking...

they are very much aswesome but remember, its much harder to see out of flip downs than thru the lens.

I have had the oakley surgitel flip down loupes for about 2 years now. they are great because you dont have to cinch down the head strap to keep them on your face, like I had to do with my older stle surgitel frames. they are a little more expensive, but they cut down on headaches. I like them alot, I will try to post some pics later

FYI, the surgitel rep was at school today and I was quoted $965 for the Oakley M frames w/o a discount.

I just ordered a pair for $1100. It's supposed to be the special student price. Am I getting ripped off?

i bought the original frames at first for $600 student price. then i upgraded to the oakley fames for $100 more. so i paid $700 total. you got ripped off...

Anyone have good pics (or GOOD website) of the Oakley Surgitel loupes? All the pics on I have found on the internet are horrible. Just checking...

i almost bought them. they are awesome but I cant see out of them.

I paid $600 for Surgitel's 4 years ago, and upgraded to the M-frame Oakleys a year later for $100. I also post pictures of them over a year ago, but I'm sure the images from that thread have vanished. You could try searching, however if anybody wants to see them.

Yeah, I can get them for $850. Their loopes start at $750 and it's $100 more to get the Oakley frames.

reps just came to measure us today..

flipups on Oakley M-frames....$770 :D

Actually this new company sells flip up loupes that are identical to the surgitel ones for only $269 with 10% off coupon and free priority ship. I compared them, they are identical, probably from the same factory. Even the same exact case too!. I think i'll go with the $269 compared to surgitel's $1000

http://www.accuoptics.com

coupon code: "accu10off"

I paid $600 for Surgitel's 4 years ago, and upgraded to the M-frame Oakleys a year later for $100. I also post pictures of them over a year ago, but I'm sure the images from that thread have vanished. You could try searching, however if anybody wants to see them.

Wow, how did you get oakleys for a $100???

reps just came to measure us today..

flipups on Oakley M-frames....$770 :D

Are you sure thats the price for the occulars + the loupes??? If so please pm me with the reps info.

thanks

Hi,
I am a 4th year dental student, and almost everybody in my class who bought these loupes have had major problems with them. There is some kind of a defect- the frames crack at the midline where the loupes are attached and eventually break off. Surgitel only provides a 1 year warranty, and charges over $200 for this repair.
Buyer Beware!!!!!

seriously, guys? oakley's?? lido is right... if you wear those you will look like an overweight pig.

go for something more classic...

PedMenu.gif

-Hup!

I had the oakley flip-up. Didn't like them, so I returned them. Not as clear as the ttl and kind of a pain flipping them up and down and having to readjust them. However you can adjust them to what ever angle you want.

I have the Surgitel Oakley Half-Jacket frames with through-the-lens telescopes. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

I orignally purchased the "A-wire" style, and I thought they were very flattering shape-wise but I was very uncomfortable with the adjustable nosepieces and no matter how I adjusted them I would get, like, little indentations on the side of my nose and it got uncomfortable. I had to wear the strap around the back of my head to keep them on and I really wasn't happy with them.

I traded them in and got the half-jacket shape instead because, as a female, I felt the M-frame was a bit too big for my face. I am SO happy with the half-jacket frames. I don't need to wear the strap at all, they stay on perfectly on their own. And the nosepieces are plastic and built in to the frame so no more nose ouchie spots...

I'd recommend the half-jacket frames to anyone, especially females who feel that some of the loupe styles out there are overpowering for their face.

I paid $750 for mine and I love them. I really prefer the flip up design to the through the lens. And yes, sadly, $1100 is a rip-off.

PE

any chance of seeing flak jackets in the near future?

it pisses me off when companies do not have static pricing does anyone else feel the same way?

it pisses me off when companies do not have static pricing does anyone else feel the same way?

No, because it leaves room for negotiation.

-Hup!

Surgitel was the first rep to come to our school so several of my classmates jumped on the bandwagon and bought the Oakley frames. Most are not happy with them now.

Orascoptic has a similar sporty frame: http://http://www.orascoptic.com/index/orascoptic-products-loupes-frames-rudyproject-2 I bought mine a year ago and love them... they come with side shields that aren't seen in the pics, I don't think.

If I'd really done my homework, however, I think I would have gone with Designs for Vision. They seem to be the best.. a bit more pricey but worth the money.

Hey, so I'm about to purchase a pair of loupes. Not sure which brand to go with. Im looking into Surgitel or Univet. Not too interested in in flip ups. Also I want the light kit as well. My budget is $1,700-2,000. Any thoughts on quality/fit/etc...?