OAT Achiever On Screen Calculator

curetteopt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I noted on the Achiever's product page that there is now an on screen calculator for the math section of the OAT:

http://www.3tquest.com/index.php?module=products&id=2

Has anyone used it and found it similar and useful on the actual test?

Members don't see this ad.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=725398

This thread will help with your question. I just bought the OAT Achiever today as well. Is it just the 3 full-length tests and answer solutions to those? Or are there practice sections as well?

I am pretty sure it has only 3 complete simulated tests like it is stated on the web, and heard that the questions are generally more difficult. Let us know what you think of it, OK?

I can only use the mouse to click on Achiever's calculator buttons, but not with the numeric keypad. Is that how it would work at the testing center?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can only use the mouse to click on Achiever's calculator buttons, but not with the numeric keypad. Is that how it would work at the testing center?

You can't type any number on the real thing just like Achiever. Also, the calculator at the testing center is lagging in speed and responsiveness for any button you're trying to click on.

You can't type any number on the real thing just like Achiever. Also, the calculator at the testing center is lagging in speed and responsiveness for any button you're trying to click on.

Could this not be reported to your testing facility? I would think that's hindering your performance more than benefiting..

Could this not be reported to your testing facility? I would think that's hindering your performance more than benefiting..

It wouldn't do much to ease out these glitches, although I would think that many have filed their complaints (calculator and other problems) to the testing centers.

Word of advice: Don't ever complain about this during the tests on the big day. The proctors would ask you to stand outside the room for about 10 minutes while performing their standard (useless) protocols that would not freeze the timer.

The Kaplan calculator does not have a sqrt function whereas Achiever's does. Is this available on the actual test or is it not?

The Kaplan calculator does not have a sqrt function whereas Achiever's does. Is this available on the actual test or is it not?

Yes, the calculator DOES INCLUDE the sqrt function on the real OAT

There were no problems on my QR section that required any use of sqrt though.

i had two questions that i used the sqrt button on the actual exam
it just made it faster but i barely used the calc

I actually found the calculator very useful on my exam! By the end I was running out of time so i punched in quickly for any fraction or rate type questions and managed to hammer out five or six questions in my last two minutes. I agree, the sqrt function was barely even useful to have, bc most of the numbers they give you will just work out.

I wondered if the maths section has since been getting more difficult with the calculator ...

There has been no report from the OAT admin that they would be increasing the difficulty of the math section.

IMO, math section was similar to SAT math.

There has been no report from the OAT admin that they would be increasing the difficulty of the math section.

IMO, math section was similar to SAT math.

The OAT is computer based but the SAT is still taken on paper I believe ...

It wouldn't do much to ease out these glitches, although I would think that many have filed their complaints (calculator and other problems) to the testing centers.

Word of advice: Don't ever complain about this during the tests on the big day. The proctors would ask you to stand outside the room for about 10 minutes while performing their standard (useless) protocols that would not freeze the timer.

Wow. That is such a waste of time. I hope your score wasn't affected negatively by this :(