OAT Achiever Test Results

meghoo22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I just took my first OAT achiever exam and here are my scores. I will be taking two more practices before my actual OAT which is next Thursday. Is the real OAT easier as far as the physics and QR sections go? Do you think i can expect my scores to go up? augh...totally nervous :(

Thanks for your feedback.

Bio: 340
GChem: 360
Ochem: 340
RC: 390
Phys: 320
QR: 340

Members don't see this ad.

Most of your OAT scores will probably be higher on the actual exam, since the OAT Achiever's questions are very detailed vs the actual OAT exam. For instance, both of the biology and physics section on the OAT Achiever are more detailed than the actual exam. For the Reading Comprehension, the OAT Achiever does a great job of simulating the actual RC itself with the timer and everything...however expect on the actual RC to read very dry and boring passages. I used the OAT Achiever as a pre and post test before the actual OAT. It did help me to be more comfortable with the actual testing conditions. My actual OAT scores were higher than the results of the OAT Achiever. Good luck!

Thanks for your post!

Also, does anyone know how much probability is tested QR section? I'm really having trouble understanding this concept. Any idea where I can get some study material for this?

There were at least 5-10 questions involving probability when I took the test in Aug. There were a lot of questions asked regarding probability, but none of them were as complicated and needed as many tricks to solve as the practice test questions do.

keep taking more practice tests. good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
QR is simple on the real OAT, much easier than on the achiever. I got a 400 on the real thing and averaged what you got on the achiever.
As for RC, I also did the same, and I would say to pay close attention on the real OAT. It really depends on what passage you get, but I ended up getting a 280 on the real RC.

Thanks Dena and sportsdude!

I just did some more QR questions from Kaplan, and found their problems REAALLY wordy...and when I looked at the answers, most of them took about half a page to explain!!! needless to say I didn't get through it all in the time they suggested. Should I expect the same sort of experience with the real OAT?

Also, since reading your post sportsdude, I'm now nervous about the RC too! To make sure I understood correctly, did you get around 390s on the practices form achiever and 280 on the real thing? What is different about the RC on the real thing compared to the achiever? are the passages longer...the questions more difficult? augh...I feel like such a mess!!! sorry if these questions are redundent, but i'm officially freaking out :(

The RC on the actual OAT is difficult because the topics are sometimes very dry and boring therefore you must really concentrate to try to answer them. Don't rely solely on your OAT Achiever's RC scores as the only predictor of success on the actual OAT exam. I would definitely try to find passages that are new but boring, so that I could better prepare myself for the actual exam. For me, I used ACT, SAT, GRE, GMAT RC passages as additional practice, which helped me a lot. I would also definitely practice under timed conditions. Hindsight, I believe the ACT science passages and reading passages provided the best prep for me.
As for the probability help...I would check out Schaum's Outlines on Probability and Statistics...hopefully it will provide you with enough examples, so that you'll get a better grasp of the material...otherwise just google the topic and I'm sure you'll find even more material on probability. Good luck.

For the QR, I really dont think it was that bad. Depending on what you major in, or what math courses you have taken, it shouldn't be too bad. the real oat has simple questions that get right to the point.
RC, however, is exactly as Absolute Vision said it. The thing is, in my opinion its also the same on the achiever as well. Like i said before, it really depends on the type of passage you get. I scored a 280, 390, and 350 on my achiever tests on RC, so it was totally random for me. On the actual OAT day, i just had bad luck i guess. For me, part of it is when I read something really boring i get distracted, so my mind tends to wander, which is what happened then. Just make sure when you're reading you understand the high points of the material, but also pay attention to how its structured and the specifics. The questions refer to specific things, so if you can remember how everything is set up you can go back and forth from the questions and text and be just fine

I definitely also agree with Sportsdude about your mind tending to wander off when you're reading a boring passage. I also tend to do the same thing when I'm reading something that I have no connection or interest with. For instance, I will be attentive when a passage deals with how the mind works due to the pharmacological effects of certain drugs, etc...but it tends to turn off if I read something boring and bland. However, you have to do the best you can to make a connection with the passages that you're reading especially the boring ones. Good luck.

Thanks so much everyone...I really appreciate your honest opinions!

I just finished taking my second OAT achiever full length and here are my scores:

Bio: 320
Gchem: 310
Ochem: 320
RC: 340
Phys: 320
QR: 360

On a good note...my QR went up since I studied probabilities yesterday...but everything else went down!!! As far as the bio stuff is concerned, how much should I know about plants/fungi divisions? It seems like the achiever asks a lot of specific Q's regarding these topics. Also, does the Gchem on the real OAT require as many calculations as the achiever sections?

Thanks again!

The G-chem on the OAT will only require you to perform simple calculations...if there are long ones, then they will expect you to be able to set up the problem without solving for the final answer. The Bio on the OAT did include plants and fungi; however, I don't remember to what extent. Keep up the good work..I'm sure you'll do fine on the real OAT.

those are really good scores especially on the achiever. BUT for the most accurate test, take the practice test on the opted website! you can find it on the same screen where you registered for the OAT on OPTED. Many including I have scored very similar scores on the opted practice test and the real test!

GOOD LUCK!!