OAT Advice

al074755

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I plan to apply for the 2010 entering class and I need advice when to take the OATs. So far I have both bio and chem completed and in the fall I will be completeing Physics I and Orgo I. Next spring semester I was planning to take Physics II and Biochem. I was originally planning to take the OATs in January but I am worried I may not do well first time around, especially bc I do not have Physics II under me. Would anyone recommend taking it 90 days before as well? How was everyone's first time experience taking it? My science GPA is 3.9, whereas my overall GPA might be around 3.2. (I don't know exactly bc I transferred schools)Would anyone recommend taking Physics I, Orgo I and Biochem during the fall together or should I leave it the way I have set up? Can someone also tell me how long they studied for the OATs before taking them?
Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

My advice to you would be to leave your schedule as you had planned it and take Biochem in the spring. In the extra time that you will have in the fall you could spend that time preparing for the OAT. It's possible to take the OAT without completing Organic II or Physics II but there are topics from those course that you will need to cover yourself. I would recommend taking the OAT in January as you had mentioned. By the winter break, hopefully you would have had time to study Biology and Chemistry, Physics and Organic I will be pretty fresh on your mind, so you can spend a few weeks studying new material and reviewing old material.

In my case, I spent about 4 weeks preparing in the evenings (I worked full time during the day). I had taken Chemistry and Biology 3 years prior, had just finished Physics I in the fall, and was just a few weeks into my spring semester in which I was taking both Organic I and Physics II, so I was in a similar situation in that I had to teach myself alot of the material in order to do well.

Good luck!