OAT and a Vanishing Summer

Started by blysssful
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[Okay, so I want to premise this by saying that I am of course willing to dedicate myself to get where I ultimately want to be (optometry school, duh). I am of course willing to make sacrifices, and this thread should not be an indicator that I'm not.]

It's my last year of undergrad, and I'm back at school now (I came early with the intentions of taking advantage of my empty apartment for a better study environment). This entire summer, basically all I've heard from my friends is "ooh, good luck studying!" Then an hour later, "Hey we're all going out. You should come out!! NO!! DON'T SAY YOU'RE STUDYING!!" or various versions of that. Now that I'm back at school, I'm hearing the same things from my friends here, but with an added guilt trip of "COME ON I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU ALL SUMMER! YOU CAN TAKE A NIGHT OFF!" And of course I do take nights off when I can, but not EVERY NIGHT.

I've explained to all my close friends that this exam is the most important exam I'll take in undergrad, and they just need to deal with me being MIA for a while. But I'm not taking it until September 20th... and with everyone partying non-stop the first few weeks, I'm just not looking forward to not hearing the end of it until then. Not to mention the fact that I really don't want to fall behind in my classes because I'm studying for this.

I've been pretty good at keeping on track, but it's getting harder to stay so focused when everyone around you is just enjoying summer and being back at school. So, I'm just wondering if any of you are in similar situations...? And what are you doing to stay focused?
 
[Okay, so I want to premise this by saying that I am of course willing to dedicate myself to get where I ultimately want to be (optometry school, duh). I am of course willing to make sacrifices, and this thread should not be an indicator that I'm not.]

It's my last year of undergrad, and I'm back at school now (I came early with the intentions of taking advantage of my empty apartment for a better study environment). This entire summer, basically all I've heard from my friends is "ooh, good luck studying!" Then an hour later, "Hey we're all going out. You should come out!! NO!! DON'T SAY YOU'RE STUDYING!!" or various versions of that. Now that I'm back at school, I'm hearing the same things from my friends here, but with an added guilt trip of "COME ON I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU ALL SUMMER! YOU CAN TAKE A NIGHT OFF!" And of course I do take nights off when I can, but not EVERY NIGHT.

I've explained to all my close friends that this exam is the most important exam I'll take in undergrad, and they just need to deal with me being MIA for a while. But I'm not taking it until September 20th... and with everyone partying non-stop the first few weeks, I'm just not looking forward to not hearing the end of it until then. Not to mention the fact that I really don't want to fall behind in my classes because I'm studying for this.

I've been pretty good at keeping on track, but it's getting harder to stay so focused when everyone around you is just enjoying summer and being back at school. So, I'm just wondering if any of you are in similar situations...? And what are you doing to stay focused?

I can tell you something; your not alone. I know you have heard this over and over, but it will be worth it in the end. Unfortunately, for the majority of people, my friends included, it is hard for them to understand how important this is for us. Like anything though, be sure to balance your studying with going out. Go out, just don't have that extra drink and wake up a bit early the next day. Obviously not everyone will understand, but having someone who is on the same page as you always helps.

But I totally relate, The last two months of summer have not been the best, but it will be worth it. Recently I have been reading the journal "Optometry" at night- this shows me the potential of where my dedication and hard work can take me, and it motivates me to push that extra step. Ultimately you must realize whats important to you, and any good friend will understand you going MIA for a couple weeks😛.

Ah..But yah, straight up, it sucks haha.

Good luck and take time to enjoy your last year of undergrad.
 
Definitely allow yourself breaks, but don't let them lure you out all the time!! I know how you feel. I was always the one studying instead of going out all the time. It'll be worth it in the end! Tell them to suck it up. They'll thank you later when you're giving them eye exams. 😀
 
Unfortunately, for the majority of people, my friends included, it is hard for them to understand how important this is for us.

Exactly! Of course my friends support me, but they'll tell me things like, "Oh come on, you're smart! There's no way you need to study that much!" I just try to tell them that it's not just about being "smart"... you have to really know your sh.t and be able to answer questions in a very limited time. And most of my friends are NOT science majors (because, let's face it, the majority of bio/chem/physics majors are usually pretty socially ******ed)... so most of them are not having to deal with post-undergrad decisions right now. And by some random stroke of luck, all my friends within my major are taking time off after graduation. Haha, so I just feel like the only one busting my ass now. It's good to know I'm not alone here!

Haha... even my parents don't understand why I study so much.
 
Definitely allow yourself breaks, but don't let them lure you out all the time!! I know how you feel. I was always the one studying instead of going out all the time. It'll be worth it in the end! Tell them to suck it up. They'll thank you later when you're giving them eye exams. 😀

Aw, I know you can relate... I'm missing out on all our notorious block parties 😛