OAT Breakdown (400AA / 400TS)

JNguyen57

Reaction score
Study material used

OATBooster – 11/10

This is basically the only thing I used for studying. The questions are very similar to the actual OAT, especially the ones on the practice tests. There are videos and written-out notes that cover pretty much 99% of the material on the test. The physics problems are more calculation based than conceptual like on the OAT, but still a good source for practice.\

OAT Destroyer 6/10

I used this to check how well I knew the material once I finished studying a topic. It’s helpful to really drive in the concepts once you learn them. However, it’s way harder than the actual test so don’t be discouraged if you do really poorly.

Kaplan Book 5/10

I used this at the beginning of studying and quickly realized it was just short of a waste of time. The material was very dense, and it was hard to parse out what you needed to know vs what was irrelevant. 2 practice tests came with the book, but that was basically all that it was good for.

Prometric Practice Test Modules

I foolishly bought the test modules on prometric hoping to see extra problems but quickly realized they’re the exact same problems as the 2006 ADA OAT. DON’T BUY THE MODULES. You can just get the same exact problems on the pdf.

How I prepped

I started studying in June and took my test in September, so about 3 months of studying. I started with the Kaplan book and took the diagnostic test which was awful. I found OATBooster soon after and followed their 10-week study schedule for the first 5 weeks. I spent anywhere from 3 to 10 hours a day studying based on how much needed to be done.

The first 5 weeks were basically learning everything that could be on the test. I read everything that was on the OATBooster notes, wrote out diagrams for things I had trouble remembering like the menstrual cycle, and did all the extra practice to familiarize myself with the test layout. The month after was going over the things I forgot, redoing the questions I marked, and completing a few of the practice tests in each section. The two weeks leading up to the test was just constantly redoing the practice tests on OATBooster, the Kaplan practice tests, the 2006 OAT, and literally any other problems I could get my hands on.

Biology (Scored: 400)

This was my most comfortable subject since all the material was things I covered in classes. Questions range from molecular bio, lab techniques, taxonomy and ecology, and developmental bio. Studying for this portion can get out of hand, but the Feralis notes do a great job of condensing what you must know vs what you don’t.

Chemistry (Scored: 400)

Chem was pretty straightforward on the exam. There were some confusing lab questions so make sure you know how to read burets and pipettes. Most calculation problems were identifying which answer choice had the numbers set up correctly, a few had you actually do the calc yourself.

Organic Chemistry (Scored: 400)

This one was tough to study for, but the test was also very straightforward. I watched the videos on OATBooster, marked the notes for the important stuff, and did the Anki basically every chance I got. I never took Ochem II, but the Anki were great for learning the reactions. Knowing mechanisms for the 4 basics: SN1/2, E1/2 is a must, and there was a lot of enolate chem on mine.

Physics (Scored: 400)

This was far and away the hardest part to study for. I consistently hit 300 and 310s on all the practice tests on OATBooster and Kaplan. However, the actual test is significantly easier, more conceptual, and calculations are very very easy. The OATBooster formula sheet gives you all the formulas you need to know and leaves out the ones you don’t. Knowing the ray diagrams and optic formulas are a must and so are the different thermodynamic conditions (isobaric, isochoric, etc.).

Reading Comprehension (Scored: 400)

This was the easiest section of the test for me. My method of answering the questions was to read the question then read the passage until I find the answer. It is a bit slower than search and destroy, but it helped me answer overall idea questions like the author’s intentions and tone.

Quantitative Reasoning (Sored: 370)

This is where my biggest regret lies. This was my only consistently good score during practice tests. But on the actual OAT I was too cautious and ended up running out of time and had to guess on 3 questions. Remember to account for the delay between questions, as they get longer after each section!

Final Notes:

This test takes a lot out of you! While studying remember that the practice tests are made to be harder than the actual test. Don’t get too discouraged if you do poorly. Reviewing problems that you did wrong and understanding why is always better than just doing more problems without learning. Finally, if the testing date is coming and you don’t feel ready, don’t hesitate to push the day back, as long as you have the time before applications are due.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 20220905_102157.jpg
    20220905_102157.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 62