OAT breakdown

shivani4patel

Reaction score
I took my OAT exam this past Friday and wanted to post a breakdown of how I studied, since these forums were helpful to read when I was studying!

Biology: For the bio section my main way to study was practice tests. I only did booster practice tests and went into depth with concepts I would get wrong. I reviewed the concepts by watching the linked Khan Academy videos, reading the descriptions under each questions, as well as refer to the feralis notes. The key here is to make sure you understand why each answer choice is wrong/correct and redo the tests until you understand why the correct answer is correct, but not memorize the answer. The concepts presented on booster exams are truly high yield and cover the depth you need to know for the exam, as long as you review the practice tests the correct way.

Gen chem: I watched mikes videos from bootcamp and went through all the content and then just did bootcamp and booster practice tests. Both were very representative of the types of questions on the real exam.

Orgo: I watched mikes videos and used the bootcamp reaction question bank to learn all the reactions. I also used boosters reaction anki deck and memorized the reactions/ reagents. I also did bootcamp and booster practice tests and focused on reviewing the last 4-5 exams to cover the high yield topics that could show up on the real exam.

RC: I did one extra practice section from booster everyday until I finished them. And then I just did the section tests from booster which were very representative of the real exam question types and passage difficulty.

Physics: I used Chad’s videos from course-saver to review the content and then did all practice tests from bootcamp and reviewed be tests from Chad’s free OAT physics tests. Chad’s physics tests were the most representative of the real exam. I also made sure I knew all the formulas from the booster formula sheet and understood the relationship between variables in each formula. One thing I would suggest and wish I did, after taking the exam, is to organize the questions types under each formula/ topic from physics and make a list of concepts you need to know for that topic. Physics can get confusing so I think being organized is really important for this section.

QR: for this sections I dove right into doing practice tests and just reviewed questions types I missed during the test. The key here is to just keep practicing. I would definitely practice timing for this section, especially if you’re struggling with timing during full length tests.

Overall advice: take full length tests with a mask on!! Use practice tests as a study tool. If you review them the right way you’re bound to not get the concept wrong again! Good luck with studying!!

Members don't see this ad.