OAT Dates/ Timeline

JAB1215

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am currently a junior, who is planning on applying to optometry schools this upcoming summer. However, I am slightly confused as to how to sign up to take the OAT this summer. I have been unable to find any concrete dates for which the OAT is administered. I have not completed the application for taking the OAT on the ASCO website yet; when I complete this will it give me choices of testing dates? In general, when is the OAT administered? When do most people take the OAT/ when is it recommended to take it? I was planning on taking the OAT in August; however, if I then decide to take it a second time would this prevent me from applying early in the admission cycle, as I would have to wait at least 90 days between testing dates? Is it recommended to only take the OAT once? I have also read posts in which people have mentioned that they decided to push back their OAT testing date one or two weeks; therefore, is the OAT administered every week? I apologize for all of these questions, I am just very confused!
Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
To sign up for the OAT you just sign up on the ASCO website. Signing up is a bit confusing but basically what happens is you register to get a pin number which will be sent to you 2-3 days after you put in your information and request one. Once you get your pin you go back to the website they tell you and register for your date. At this time you will be asking to pay the fee of $435 (or $465, i dont remember) and choose what schools you want to send your scores to. I believe it is free to send your scores to as many schools as you would like the first time you take the OAT. The OAT test dates are very flexible, you can essentially choose to take it any day you would like assuming there is space at a local testing center for you to take your exam. You will be asked to choose a testing center and then choose from the available days. It is recommended if you want the date of your choice, try to register 2-3 months in advance but I am sure that depends on the area you are from
Students take the OAT at a variety of different times. I am also a current Junior applying this upcoming summer and I am taking mine in a few weeks. I know people who took it last summer, and some who plan to take it this semester, and others who took it last semester. The most popular time to take it is in the summer. There is no recommended time, just what works for your schedule. If you were to take it in August and wanted to take it again it is not necessarily too late as students get accepted up until February I believe. Also, unlike the MCAT, OAT scores are given to students right after they are done taking the OAT. So if you retake the OAT in November, you would be able to get your scores to schools very quickly.

Hi, are the OAT exams available in the summer for Canada as well? I still have a bit time before I will apply to take the exam but I was just wondering for future reference when exactly do these exams occur around which month specifically ?

Thank you!!!!!

Hi, are the OAT exams available in the summer for Canada as well? I still have a bit time before I will apply to take the exam but I was just wondering for future reference when exactly do these exams occur around which month specifically ?

Thank you!!!!!

You don't have to sign up or pay to view the available dates. On prometric, go to "locate a test centre" select OAT and your location, and then once you click a testing centre there is an "availability" button. Click that and a calendar with all the available dates for that location will show up. I'm Canadian and this worked for me when I wrote last summer! There aren't specific dates - it's offered basically everyday that isn't already fully booked. I signed up for mine in april, studied from may-july and wrote it at the end of july, which I found was a good amount of time! Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user