OAT Destroyer vs. OAT achiever?

amoura04

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what is most recommended OAT destroyer vs. Achiever???

Members don't see this ad.

I liked destroyer for QR but that was pretty much it. I liked the kaplan materials better overall. I also think using topscore or achiever is good to get a hang of the timing..but I haven't taken to actual test yet, I'll let you know more when I take it next friday..

I hated OAT Achiever. A waste of money in my mind. The questions were so hard that I couldn't finish all of them in the alloted time. In my mind, it is nothing like the real test. "Preparing" you by giving you harder questions is pretty stupid to me if you are never going to get that hard of a question on the real test. It is a completely different skill set to solve a hard question than it is to answer questions on the OAT. I finished one test in Achiever and never looked at it again. So, to me it wasn't worth it. I've never used Destroyer so I have no idea if it is worth it or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hated OAT Achiever. A waste of money in my mind. The questions were so hard that I couldn't finish all of them in the alloted time. In my mind, it is nothing like the real test. "Preparing" you by giving you harder questions is pretty stupid to me if you are never going to get that hard of a question on the real test. It is a completely different skill set to solve a hard question than it is to answer questions on the OAT. I finished one test in Achiever and never looked at it again. So, to me it wasn't worth it. I've never used Destroyer so I have no idea if it is worth it or not.

So what other materials did you use? I have the DAT Kaplan book, but I need more sources for practice questions.

i personally liked the OAT achiever. maybe i'm pessimistic? i only took 2 practice tests on it, and i was completely devastated from those scores... which made me ECSTATIC when i got my actual test scores, which were much much muuuuuch higher! the achiever questions are extremely hard, but i think it helps scare you into preparing more. or sometimes, too much - but what is too much for the OATs?

i like the format, as it is very similar to the actual, and you do get a good grasp of how long it's going to take you to get through the test.

i studied out of the Kaplan OAT book, as well as the Kaplan MCAT comp review book. the mcat book was very helpful, as it was condensed into what you needed to know. much easier than re-reading all of my old bio and chem texts. all in all, all the practice exams i took were MUCH harder than the actual, so i think i overstudied the hard stuff, and could have focused more on the easy stuff. eh. i'm happy in the end. :p

I used both the Destroyer and acheiver - I owe all my high marks in the sciences and math to the Destroyer! it was really helpfull. the acheiver is good to practice your timing and get used to the format of the test- but otherwise i found it to be much harder than the actual OATs. so i would definitely recommend getting the Destroyer and possibly acheiver as well (unless you have other practice tests that you could time yourself with)
good luck!

Thanks for all your responses... I'm going to go ahead with the destroyer and possibly achiever if I still have enough time. I'm taking it on October 16th... talk about major cramming!!! :eek:

I liked destroyer for QR but that was pretty much it. I liked the kaplan materials better overall. I also think using topscore or achiever is good to get a hang of the timing..but I haven't taken to actual test yet, I'll let you know more when I take it next friday..

hey how did you do on your OAT? did you think that which one do you think is harder OAT ACHIEVER or OAT DESTROYER?

All I did for prep was using OAT achiever and used "Chad's Videos" from ***********. I like OAT achiever because (as crazy is it sounds) it was WAY more difficult than the real OAT and it put me in freak-out mode. When I got to the real OAT I felt so relieved. Would really not recommend Kaplan courses. I talked to them a few times and did a free-test and found them to be quite incompetent about the OAT.