OAT experience 2019

a072

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Score: I took my last practice exam three weeks before the actual test, so that might explain the score jump. The actual exam also felt much easier.
exam numberaveragebiologygen chemO chemphysicstotal sciencereadingquantitative
1 (kaplan)320260270290380300390350
2 (kaplan 1)330340350310270320370330
3 (kaplan 2)350320390330320350350370
4 (achiever 1)340360370370300360300350
actual390400370370380400400400

Time Spent: Late June -Mid August
From late June to early July, I spent a few hours a day taking notes from the princeton review books and doing the practice problems from there. From early July to mid August, I realized that I was running out of time, so I started studying 8-9 hours a day (don’t recommend haha, I was pretty burned out by the end).

Resources Used:
  • Kaplan OAT Book and Practice Exam
    • I used it to review for o chem, gen chem, and bio. The chapters offer pretty good explanation, and the practice problems at the end of the chapters were helpful. The book also came with two online practice exams, which made it a really good deal.
  • The Princeton Review Cracking the OAT Book
    • This book only has detailed review for physics. Physics was one of my weaker sections, so I needed a more extensive review. I liked that there was a formula page at the end of every chapter, and there were practice problems scattered throughout each chapter. The book comes with two practice tests, but they are in pdf form compared with the kaplan online practice tests, which mimic the real exam.
  • DAT Bootcamp
    • They have a lot of amazing free resources here. They have a 100 pg ish biology notes that is really detailed. I felt like some sections were a bit too detailed, but I used it to study embryology and taxonomy. They also have a mnemonics page for biology, which was super helpful.
  • OAT destroyer
    • This is a booklet that has a ton of practice problems. I bought it kinda late, so I didn’t use it too much, but I liked the problems and detailed answer explanations. There is also an OAT/DAT destroyer FB group you can join. I think Dr. Romano, the author of the book, answers and posts practice questions on there.
  • OAT Achiever
    • This is a computer program you can download. I definitely thought the questions in here were hard, especially for reading. But the program mimics the actual test, so it’s good practice.
  • old notes from school
Tips that worked for me:
  • You can do a test drive with prometric. I think it costs $30. During the test drive, you get to go through the security check and become familiar with the testing environment.
  • Bring soft ear plugs to the exam room
  • Practice for your exam as if it is an actual test. For example, if your actual exam is at 11 AM, take your practice exam at the library at 11 AM. Don’t drink water or eat until it is your break.
  • Read the test topic outline in the 2019 guide. This definitely helped me pinpoint my weak areas and review areas I forgot about.

Hope this helped! And good luck studying!
    (I am planning to sell my OAT destroyer books and Princeton Review book, so lmk if you are interested. Both don't have writing inside)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The method that worked the best for me was to skim through the passage (just get the general idea of what each paragraph was about) while highlighting key vocab. Then, I would answer the questions by searching from the key vocab I highlighted. I used to take notes of each of the paragraphs, but that ended up taking way too long.