OAT Experience 9/19/11

the3ddy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking the OAT forums and I've read a lot of people's oat experiences and I would also like to share mine after taking it yesterday. I am ecstatic about my score, especially since my gpa is low, but I have no one to share it with since I am surrounded by pre-meds :( Well I hope this is of benefit to you guys.

My Oat scores (Opted score in paranthesis):
Quantitative Reasoning - 350 (360)
Reading Comprehension - 400 (340)
Biology - 350 (400)
General Chemistry - 400 (360)
Organic Chemistry - 340 (330)
Physics - 320 (340) =(
Total Science - 350
Academic Average - 360 (360)

So before I go into each section, I have to say that when I took the Opted practice test, this was my first practice test so I didn't know what to expect in regards to timing and also I was really sleep deprived. I really expected to do better on the real OAT but I can't complain :) That aside, I found the real one to be just a bit harder overall.

Biology
This section was harder and much more random than the opted one. There were questions that even though I went through all of the Biology section in the Kaplan book, there were a few problems that I don't think I've ever studied or even seen. It made me worry about the rest of the test but my worries were soon alleviated.

G-Chemistry
I found this section to be easier than the opted one, or maybe I was just more confident about it. This had questions that were not unexpected.

O-Chemistry
I also found this section to be easier than the opted one and I really thought I did better than what I got since I didn't have to mark any questions but they must have tricked me somewhere...

Reading Comprehension
The Reading Comprehension was for the most part straightforward. The first passage was simple in both reading and the questions. For the 2nd passage, the passage was harder but the questions were easy. However for the 3rd one, they had a lot of inference, main idea, what is the thesis, type questions that I've never seen on a Kaplan RC practice before so be aware! Just a side note, during the practice one I was really tired so I couldn't even focus on the one passage.

Physics
This was supposed to be my strong subject but I personally thought that opted and the real one were similar. I just didn't practice physics enough.

Quantitative Reasoning
Let me tell you that I never ever freaked out so much during a test. I almost gave up at one point after around the tenth problem because there were so many word problems/difficult problems. But then I told myself, just go back to the hard/long ones after I've gone through the rest like what people on this forum have mentioned before. Given that I realized that they saturated the first 10 problems with the hardest/longest problems of the QR, I went through the rest of the problems and they seemed relatively simpler and prevented me from having a nervous breakdown.

Overall the test was harder than the opted one as I said earlier but that's mainly because of the Biology and the Quantitative Reasoning.

I hope this was of use to you because I am really happy about my scoress :D

Members don't see this ad.

For the biology section, what types of question did you encounter that you never saw while studying?

Really curious.