Aug 28, 2015
Hey Everyone. Just thought I would share my experience with the OAT since I have received a lot of advice from this forum throughout my preparation.

I used the Kaplan course to prepare for the test. I read the entire kaplan blue book and completed most of the online assignments in 2 months over the summer and I feel like it really paid off. The kaplan full length exams were similar to the actual OAT.

BIO - Scored horribly during my diagnostic, but it steadily improved as I reviewed the material in the bluebook and quizzes. There were a few curve ball questions on the actual OAT that I wasn't prepared for. Overall, the kaplan prep was enough.

Chem - I had the most trouble preparing for this section because it has been so long since taking G chem. I just kept on practicing problems and rereading chapters in the book that I was having trouble remembering. There was about half calculations and half conceptual questions on the actual OAT.

Ochem - I didn't have much trouble preparing for ochem. I did not spend too much time here. Just read the chapters in the book once and completed the quizzes. The actual OAT was very similar to kaplan in this section.

Physics - This was one of my worst subjects. Most of the kaplan questions were very difficult, but overall was a good indicator on what I would see on the test. The actual test had more calculations than I expected. About half concepts, half calculations.

Reading - This caught me off guard because the time limit was 60 min and there were 50 questions. I guess it recently got changed to be more similar to the DAT. Kaplan did not notify me about this. The easiest passage was at the end and time was a problem for me.

QR - From what I was reading, most people were saying kaplan did not do a good job of preparing them for this section, but it worked quite well for me. Mostly word problems and you can get a few wrong and still get a decent score. Make sure to mark and go back to really difficult problems. This unexpectedly my best subject on the actual OAT.

Scores: Diagnostic/Actual
Bio - 270/380
Chem - 280/360
Ochem - 340/360
Physics - 280/320
Reading - 290/310
QR - 330/400
TS - 290/370
AA - 300/360

I am also selling my kaplan study material that came with the course. I would also be willing to sell the remaining time on my kaplan online course (expires 11/15/2015) for a huge discount. PM me if interested.

Thanks for reading. Good Luck Everyone!

Jun 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Optometry
Do you know if the Reading comprehension Passages restart from question to question like the Kaplan Practice tests? And is the scroll box of the passage just as small? Or does the whole passage stick while you go from question to question? The layout for the Reading portion will make a big difference for me so any tips would be appreciated!

OP
B
Aug 28, 2015
Do you know if the Reading comprehension Passages restart from question to question like the Kaplan Practice tests? And is the scroll box of the passage just as small? Or does the whole passage stick while you go from question to question? The layout for the Reading portion will make a big difference for me so any tips would be appreciated!
The passage did restart from question to question, but I was able to highlight during the OAT. I don't remember being allowed to do that during the kaplan passages, so it was much easier to find my place when scrolling through questions. The scroll box for the passage was bigger than kaplan's.