OAT Experience

JennyyyHoang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I just took the OAT a couple weeks ago, and I wanted to share my experience with you all since this forum has been so helpful in my preparations.

Biology
This was more difficult and random than expected. I consistently scored highly on this section, and I studied every subject covered in the Big Kaplan Book extensively, but there were just a few random questions thrown in that I had to guess on. Overall though, it was not that bad. Expect a few killer questions in each section, but they're there to distinguish the people that melt under pressure (not you!) from those that hold their cool (you!).

Chemistry
A few calculations, but mostly qualitative. More manageable than expected. It was a blur, but a lot of periodic table stuff, and once again, questions outside of what I studied.

Organic Chemistry
Harder than expected. There are just a few reaction questions, and I focused on reactions a lot. A lot of qualitative questions. Advice: study trends.

Reading Comp
Easier than expected! The readings were actually interesting, and for the first time in any of the tests I've taken, I finished early! Tip: Go to the readings that you find most interesting. I tried this strategy for the first time on the real OAT, and it made all the difference. Tip: Do all the questions for one passage before moving onto the next. Keep a very close eye on time.

Physics
Hard. This is one of my weak areas. There were plenty of calculations, and plenty of qualitative questions too. Even though I took the break, I was slowing down at this point. Less kinematics than expected, more calculations.

Quantitative Reasoning
Yeah, very hard. I studied triangles, but I'm starting to think I studied the wrong ones. Are there right ones? (ha..ha..) But seriously, so many triangles. Another thing, the calculator sucks! BUT, you can use the number pad! I did not know that. That would've changed my practice strategy a lot. Tips: none, I have none.

Overall Tips
  • I took the whole 15 minutes prior to the test to calm down. I think that helped a lot. Just tell yourself: You can't control the outcome, that's out of your hands. All you can control is your performance. Breathe, and do the best that you can. No matter how much you prepared, you are here now. If you can leave that room knowing that you tried your best, you will not have regrets.
  • They have thin tipped markers. That was a major area of concern for me, and it was fine.
  • Take the breaks.
  • Personally, the most helpful thing I learned from the practice tests was time management. You can really get a feel for how long you should be spending on each question in each section.
Scores:
  • 400 Bio, 400 GChem, 390 Ochem, 400 RC, 360 Physics, 320 QR
  • 400 TS, 380 AA

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
You did awesome. Congrats. Do you mind sharing what did you use for the study materials, and what did you think was the best material to prepare for this exam. Please let me know. Thank you very much. Once again this is an amazing scores!!! Great work!!!

Really a great effort. It will be so nice of you if you share the study material. It can be helpful to many people around. thank you so much for sharing. :)

Yes! I too, would find it helpful if you could share the study material you used and how you prepared for the test. Great effort and congratulations on a wonderful score!

Reactions: 1 user