OAT...help!

boss123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey i'm fairly new to this and have a couple of questions ...so if anyone could help me out that would be great!

- I'm planning on writing my mcat this summer, but also want to write OAT - from what i've read the materails seems to very similar (in terms of the content they test)... would studying for mcat be sufficient enough to write the OAT at the same time?

- also, how do you find out about the available test dates for the OAT ?

Members don't see this ad.

i suggest that i "write" all over your face. haha.. just kiddin'.

from reading all the respones from the SDN regarding OAT prep, many of us used the MCAT book as the main review source. many have also said that after taking the MCAT, the OAT seemed like "a walk in the park". but again, the question that people r gonna ask is "why are u taking both"? im sure you're not gonna do it just for fun right. MD and OD are obviously two very different fields and it'd be best to know which one u want to pursue and commit to it, not just because it's easier to get into one than the other. but nevertheless best of luck to you! :thumbup:

they offer the OAT pretty much every day of the week, but i believe you need to register to TAKE the test before they show you all the available times at the prometric testing center conveniently located near you.

http://www.opted.org/

click on OAT info to get all that u'll need have fun!

i suggest that i "write" all over your face. haha.. just kiddin'.

from reading all the respones from the SDN regarding OAT prep, many of us used the MCAT book as the main review source. many have also said that after taking the MCAT, the OAT seemed like "a walk in the park". but again, the question that people r gonna ask is "why are u taking both"? im sure you're not gonna do it just for fun right. MD and OD are obviously two very different fields and it'd be best to know which one u want to pursue and commit to it, not just because it's easier to get into one than the other. but nevertheless best of luck to you! :thumbup:

... by "people" will question me about it.. do u mean - you guys... or say the admissions committee ?

Members don't see this ad :)
i just sent in my apps so i don't know whether the admissions committee will ask that or not. however, many applications do ask if you have taken the mcat or pcat, etc. your extra curriculars and internship experience will also tell them how committed you are to optometry. just my own opinion, but i think people who tried real hard to be an optometrist but got average scores deserve a seat more than those with high test scores but are using optometry as a back-up plan.