OAT physics

Igurl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I was studying for the OAT physics section. This whole time I've been using the Kaplan- MCAT for the physics section thinking that I needed as much detail as possible. However, I recently received my Kaplan OAT book 2009-2010 edition (not the one you get from taking the class but the one with lots of practice exams and 2 full length OAT exams). Apparently the physics section covers:
Vectors,
Energy and Momentum,
Thermodynamics,
Magnetism &
Optics.

Is that really true? or should i continue focusing kinematics, DC/AC circuits, Atomnic phenomena and Nuclear phenomena?

I hope i make sense! HELP ME!
:mad:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!
I was studying for the OAT physics section. This whole time I've been using the Kaplan- MCAT for the physics section thinking that I needed as much detail as possible. However, I recently received my Kaplan OAT book 2009-2010 edition (not the one you get from taking the class but the one with lots of practice exams and 2 full length OAT exams). Apparently the physics section covers:
Vectors,
Energy and Momentum,
Thermodynamics,
Magnetism &
Optics.

Is that really true? or should i continue focusing kinematics, DC/AC circuits, Atomnic phenomena and Nuclear phenomena?

I hope i make sense! HELP ME!
:mad:
Kinematics is definitely something you should study. There is a bit of circuits on the exam, and maybe one nuclear question. Take the opted test to see the types of questions and the frequency, and study from there.

I was wondering what everyone thought of the physics exams on the kaplan online course.

I have always found physics extremely hard, but i can get through most of the destroyer problems, but when i take a kaplan test, i do really bad.

i heard the oat is more conceptual, and destroyer is more math, but how does the real oat compare to kaplan and destoyer?

thank you!

I have the OAT Destroyer.. So I would like to know too if I need to study more...

Members don't see this ad :)
The OAT Destroyer got my quick problem solving/math skills up to par; Kaplan's ridiculous questions got my conceptual knowledge down, and the opted test simulated exactly what the real test is like.

I was wondering what everyone thought of the physics exams on the kaplan online course.

I have always found physics extremely hard, but i can get through most of the destroyer problems, but when i take a kaplan test, i do really bad.

i heard the oat is more conceptual, and destroyer is more math, but how does the real oat compare to kaplan and destoyer?

thank you!

I thought the Kaplan questions were terrible. I'm pretty sure they recycled them from another test, since they test much too thoroughly on calculations.

The OAT really is much more conceptual. I reviewed physics with an SAT prep book, and that actually was much more helpful than Kaplan questions.
Just be sure to do the opt ed. test, you'll probably even see repeated questions on test day.

thanks guys!

also, i was wondering on both QR and physics some kaplan questions require you to calculate the acrsin/tan/cos of things to get the accurate angle, this doesnt happen on the test right?

and i think kaplan needs to redo its physics portion, it helps in no way. there is 1 workshop, for physics and like a bunch of qr and bio, i dont get it!

thanks guys!

also, i was wondering on both QR and physics some kaplan questions require you to calculate the acrsin/tan/cos of things to get the accurate angle, this doesnt happen on the test right?

and i think kaplan needs to redo its physics portion, it helps in no way. there is 1 workshop, for physics and like a bunch of qr and bio, i dont get it!

Know how to work with arc functions. I had a bunch of questions in QR and had no clue how to answer them.

The physics on the real OAT is reeeeeeally not as bad as Kaplan makes it out to be. Force, kinematics and general equations (like V=IR, etc) should be your main focus. Make sure you can do those problems in your sleep!

Also make sure you know where real/virtual images are depending on the type of mirror/lens, etc. Like was said, its not so much about the math, but more about actually knowing what's conceptually going on.

Hey. I'm using Kaplan's online course and making around 300-320 on their full lengths. Does anyone else who has used Kaplan know if that is an accurate gauge of how I'll do on the real OAT? I'm testing on the 18th- ahh!

Also, my physics is AWFUL! Does anyone have tips on studying, websites, and/or books they used? I'm really scared that schools will reject me for a low physics score even if I have decent-average on the rest.

Hey. I'm using Kaplan's online course and making around 300-320 on their full lengths. Does anyone else who has used Kaplan know if that is an accurate gauge of how I'll do on the real OAT? I'm testing on the 18th- ahh!

Also, my physics is AWFUL! Does anyone have tips on studying, websites, and/or books they used? I'm really scared that schools will reject me for a low physics score even if I have decent-average on the rest.

Kaplan is harder for the sciences but about par for QR and RC (in my opinion anyhow).

For physics just know the stuff from first semester (force, kinematics, easy circuits, etc) and a little bit of optics from second semester. If it makes you feel better, my physics score was SIGNIFICANTLY better (as in +100 points) on the real test compared to what I was getting on the Kaplan practice test the week before my OAT. The more problems you do, the better off you'll be. As far as SPEED, make sure you're rounding and taking shortcuts... don't spend much time on each problem. If you are, you're doing something wrong.