Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

OAT preparation ... need tons of help

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by nquinn, Nov 23, 2005.

1. nquinn

nquinn New Member

Pre-Optometry
    So,

I'm considering taking the OAT to see if I could even be accepted into optometry school.

I graduated in '02 with an electrical engineering degree / bioengineering minor.

At this point, I've forgotten a LOT of material. The math and reasoning sections are no big deal. I can also refresh most of the physics pretty quickly.

I'm mostly concerned with the natural sciences / chem / organic chem sections of the test.

Can anyone recommend some good BASIC books that won't go too in depth, but give me most of the information I'll need to get by for the test?

Thanks,

-Neil

2. ariel winter

ariel winter Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

for the natural sciences, the only book you will need to study for the OAT is the DAT study guide. i forget the name, but it is the "official" something or another DAT book. :thumbup:

3. Ning

Ning Ning
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Hey,

I used the big MCAT Kaplan book as an overview. Then I had to use my own notes and old textbooks for a better understanding of some of the concepts. I found Topscore Pro quite helpful too.

Ning-Ju

4. 3eb4me

3eb4me Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Why did you decide optometry?

5. gioiarioia

gioiarioia SCO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I also used the Kaplan MCAT Review book and made notes from each section. Good luck!

6. jcaco

jcaco Member
    5+ Year Member

i used the Kaplan OAT books. They're like the DAT books except for the Physics section.

7. tina13rvs

tina13rvs Membership Revoked
    Removed

I used DAT Achiever (now with the OAT version ready) and my old science textbooks. Make very sure that you refer frequently to the scope of examination stipulated at the ASCO website too.