OAT Reading Comprehension Question

Dani91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so the first time I took my OAT for the reading comprehension portion I had a lot of questions where there was a statement "X because Y." With these questions you had to decide what the correct statement is and if the statement was true or false.

Now normally reading comprehension is a strong point for me and I had no trouble finding the statements in the passages and completing all of the passages with enough time, but I was not sure how to know if the statements were "true."

I think these questions really affected my score and I ended up with a 300. Does anyone know how to answer these questions? I'm retaking my OAT in a month and I do not want to face this problem again.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

So I think some of the trap answers, as Kaplan puts it, can be too extreme or strongly worded. The false options can include statements that may seem true but are technically not always true. Or they may be true but not mentioned in the passage itself.

Right, that makes sense. It's just that I thought we were not supposed to use outside information to answer the questions for reading comprehension. Each statement that I would find directly in the passage I assumed would be true, but I'm not sure if that's what I was supposed to do.

Exactly, the info has to be from the passage itself. It may be true according to outside sources but the passage itself has to mention it in order for it to be a viable answer option. Use the process of elimination and narrow down the answer choices. Be careful with the wording. Like I said, sometimes they use extreme language which often makes it a wrong answer. Dumb example: John always rides his bike to school. (This would be wrong because the passage does not indicate John ALWAYS rides his bike but only sometimes rides his bike to school).