OAT RETAKE. YIKES!!! I'm scared. Any awesome suggestions?

ewat08

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first OAT score of 270 was embarrassing to be honest. My goal is 350 because that will get me into my dream school at SCCO. I have taken practice FL exams recently and got about the same 270...

1.) Chad's Videos
2.) Kaplan
3.) OAT Detroyer
WHAT ARE YOUR GUYS' THOUGHTS ON THESE RESOURCES? I HAVE A POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.

Physics has been difficult on me. Any suggestions?

I know 270 is not the end of the world. But it won't get me into any of the optometry schools. I feel like I understand the material, but have some obvious gaps in knowledge. I'm not sure what will get me over the hump, but I am hoping to gain direction and confidence going forward to improve my score.

Take Care! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There is a website called coursesaver, you can buy about 1500 quizzes for $50. I used them the week before I took the OAT and it helped prepare me tenfold from the gold standard optometry books. Fire alarm went off during my reading comp section (I also have never been a strong reader lol) and physics just flat out beat me.

AA: 330
TS: 350
Bio: 380
Ochem: 390
Gchem: 360
QR: 310
RC: 280
Physics: 290

Thanks @jmbird17 for your response. I too am using Chad's videos or coursesaver. I find the quizzes and videos helpful. Did you use any other sources to study from? You might naturally get like organic chem for example ?

Primarily just the gold standard OAT books and coursesaver. Sign up for kaplan emails but don't buy it. It gives you a free OAT practice test that I ended up not completing due to time constraints, but you can go back and look at the questions, answers and explanations. Helped me justify what I thought would be on the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@jmbird17 first of all, you did great, congrats! do you think that you maybe lost test endurance a little bit since you did so well on overall sciences, but reading comp and physics you were fatigued? I find both Physics and Reading Comp to be my weak points.

Yes, fatigue definitely set in because I decided to power through instead of take my 30 minute break lmao, but physics was difficult because at that point I was friend and couldn't really think critically about physics problems. Plus my physics professor at my university wasn't the best, got an A in both 1 and 2, but I had old tests. Focus on your weak points, but don't forget about the strong cause the strong can carry your score like science did for me.

DAT Bootcamp helps too! You can make a free account. It accurately represents the new QR section along with the free questions that can be found on OAT Destroyer's admin profile.

I did the Kaplan self paced course online, mostly because I needed to have some sort of structure to my studying. I thought I was well prepared with that, but, as I’m sure you know, it is kind of expensive. It comes with the notes book, online videos/workshops/quizzes, a lessons book to go with the videos, 5 full length practice tests, and a lot of flash cards for every section (except RC). Most people think that Kaplan physics is an overkill, and I kind of agree there, but I would say all the other sections of the practice tests weren’t too much harder than the actual OAT. My diagnostic test scores were 300 AA/290 TS, full length 1 were 310 AA/ 300 TS, full length 2 were 330/330, and actual OAT 360/360. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
My first OAT score of 270 was embarrassing to be honest. My goal is 350 because that will get me into my dream school at SCCO. I have taken practice FL exams recently and got about the same 270...

1.) Chad's Videos
2.) Kaplan
3.) OAT Detroyer
WHAT ARE YOUR GUYS' THOUGHTS ON THESE RESOURCES? I HAVE A POLL AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE.

Physics has been difficult on me. Any suggestions?

I know 270 is not the end of the world. But it won't get me into any of the optometry schools. I feel like I understand the material, but have some obvious gaps in knowledge. I'm not sure what will get me over the hump, but I am hoping to gain direction and confidence going forward to improve my score.

Take Care! Thank you!!

I'm using OAT Achiever now and believe they have very good and challenging questions especially the physics sections that would make me want to study harder for better results. Use your textbooks frequently as a complete guide to work on your weaker links. It will take a little more time but you can never go wrong from there.

Do any of you know an appropriate timeline to study the Chad's Videos on course saver? I am wanting to retake the exam but don't know how much time I should allot for studying the material. Also, did any of you find the quizzes on course saver helpful? Please let me know!

Do any of you know an appropriate timeline to study the Chad's Videos on course saver? I am wanting to retake the exam but don't know how much time I should allot for studying the material. Also, did any of you find the quizzes on course saver helpful? Please let me know!

I think coursesaver is about $50 per month which is a lot cheaper than many other methods like Kaplan. I recommend planning on having it with you for maybe 3 months since it is a recurring payment until you cancel subscription. Also, Chad's videos may take 1-2 months studying about every day and doing all quizzes. I think it is a great method for a visual learner!

I feel you on the retake, any Plans to make a change and up your OAT score on the next attempt?

DAT Bootcamp helps too! You can make a free account. It accurately represents the new QR section along with the free questions that can be found on OAT Destroyer's admin profile.

hi shevchenko277, I have some qustion 1: what the webiste on DAT Bootcamp to create a free accoout?
2: it has Reading Comp? this is my weakness. or what is best resource for RC and physics to prepare?

thanks a lot

There is a website called coursesaver, you can buy about 1500 quizzes for $50. I used them the week before I took the OAT and it helped prepare me tenfold from the gold standard optometry books. Fire alarm went off during my reading comp section (I also have never been a strong reader lol) and physics just flat out beat me.

AA: 330
TS: 350
Bio: 380
Ochem: 390
Gchem: 360
QR: 310
RC: 280
Physics: 290
How did you study for organic Chemistry, chem, and biology ?

Optician2OD

I used the gold standard DAT books and coursesaver. Coursesaver was awesome because it offered a plethora of quizzes and the format is very similar to the OAT. With all of the quizzes I felt like I knew everything on those three sections. It was relatively straight forward. I just confirmed my interview with SCO today as well. Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Optician2OD

I used the gold standard DAT books and coursesaver. Coursesaver was awesome because it offered a plethora of quizzes and the format is very similar to the OAT. With all of the quizzes I felt like I knew everything on those three sections. It was relatively straight forward. I just confirmed my interview with SCO today as well. Best of luck.
Congrats. That’s my first choice school but they want me to retake the OAT. hopefully I can do much better and see you there next fall. Good luck

I haven't taken mine yet but Ive had Kaplan, destroyer, OAT flashcard system, and Princeton review. The material I like the best so far is DAT Bootcamp.