OAT score and GPA

eyegirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With an overall GPA of 2.8 :eek: (Chemistry), what sort of OAT score do you guys think I would need to be a competitive applicant at schools like PCO, UHCO, NOVA.. etc.

Members don't see this ad.

eyegirl said:
With an overall GPA of 2.8 :eek: (Chemistry), what sort of OAT score do you guys think I would need to be a competitive applicant at schools like PCO, UHCO, NOVA.. etc.

I'd say a 340 would be competitive, but in a situation like that I think your work experience would count alot. If you have years of work experience at an optometrist office you could probably get away with a 320 at NOVA.

eyegirl said:

Don't even think about Nova - they suck, check their boards passage rates, then check SCO - 340 is about right. BTW, they care a heck of a lot more than you think about those OAT scores, one good or bad test score and your GPA means nothing, they base about 70% on OAT's. Check out boards passage rates before you select a school, I've got a few ex-NOVA students in my class who hated nova for their poor education. Their passage rates for Part 1 Boards fluctuates between 50 and 70% vs 95% at SCO last year and 85-90 at lots of other schools like Houston, SCCO, Berkley, PCO, etc. BTW SCO owns the last 3 Optometry Superbowl titles root root! Just make sure you take lots of practice tests so you know what to expect and so you know how you're doing. Good Luck

Hey eyegirl,
I am in the same boat as you. I didn't get in this past year, but I did manage to get an interview at NECO. However, I have very little experience. My OAT AA = 320. So, I am going to try to improve my score. Physics was my only section below a 300. And I am trying to find a job to get the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureIrishOD said:
Hey eyegirl,
I am in the same boat as you. I didn't get in this past year, but I did manage to get an interview at NECO. However, I have very little experience. My OAT AA = 320. So, I am going to try to improve my score. Physics was my only section below a 300. And I am trying to find a job to get the experience.

If you don't mind me asking, did you go to a "well-known" college? And what was your major? Oh, and what schools did you apply to?

Sorry, I'm not a stalker. REALLY. :p

eyegirl said:
If you don't mind me asking, did you go to a "well-known" college? And what was your major? Oh, and what schools did you apply to?

I went to Texas Tech Univeristy. My GPA is like a 2.88. I got B.S. in Zoology and a minor in Chemistry. I was also involved in a quite a few activities. I applied to New England, UHCO, SCCO. But I also applied late (the end of Jan). So, make sure you apply early. I plan on having all my stuff in like the day the applications become available.

oh..yeah..I stalker just lets you know that you are wanted. haha ;)

eyegirl said:

I worked for an optometrist that actually got into school with a 2.7 GPA and a 300 on the OAT. (He isn't that old either) But he was involved in school and worked for an optometrist. So I guess that goes to show that Test Scores aren't everything.