OAT Score Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akwong44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys..i just wanted to get an opinion...i got my OATs back today and wanted an honest opinion:

QR: 330
RC: 350
Physics: 310
Bio: 300
OChem: 290
GenChem: 300

As you can see my science scores are terrible compared to most..what do you think my chances will be? I have a decent gpa and have been working with an optometrist since april..but with these science scores is an interview even possible? :( any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i was given interviews before my scores came out. they told me i was fine as long as i receive a total score of 290. of the schools i applied to only suny required a minimum of 320.

dj1013 said:
i was given interviews before my scores came out. they told me i was fine as long as i receive a total score of 290. of the schools i applied to only suny required a minimum of 320.

Hi, I got 290 on the academic average and 310 on total science. Could you tell me which school tolls you that 290 is fine?
Thank .
:idea:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi akwong44,

Are you biology or a science major? If you have fairly good grades for the pre-reqs (A's and high B's), then it will look better for your average science OAT scores. The RC and QR are good scores. The science parts may hurt you, so try to get your science GPA up if that means taking some extra classes.

Two years ago, Dr. Johnston from SUNY told me that they usually look for at least 300 in each section but will accept someone with a lower score if their GPA is higher (3.4+).

Where did you apply to? If you haven't tried, I think your scores and experience in the field will at least get you an interview at NEWENCO. When I interviewed there, someone had a 2.6 GPA and below average OAT scores. I'm not sure if they got in but they did get interviewed.

- Rosanna

Hi, I got 290 on the academic average and 310 on total science. Could you tell me which school tolls you that 290 is fine?
Thank . :)

Has anyone applied to UMSL? I got a 320 overall and 310 science OAT with a GPA of about 3.8, have a year and a half experience in optical. Do you think these stats will be good enough to get into UMSL? I havent heard of many people applying there but I hear the class size is about 40 and I would like to know what my chances are...