OAT Scores in!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xine15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally they came in the mail this morning!!

All went well for me except an embarrasing showing in quantitative reasoning.

Overall I'm really happy!

Do they look at the individual scores?? Or do schools just look at your overall....

Thanks!

Xine

Members don't see this ad.

I have never spoken to a person how was happy with their quantitative section. I'm reasonable sure they look at the overall score for the most part, that is persuming you scored at least a reasonable respectible score in each section. If did really well in every section, but got like a 200 in one section...that probably would raise a few questions.

I'm sure you will be fine.

Hi guys,

Just got my OAT scores. I am not sure what they look at with most schools. I got a 370 academic average... a total science of 400 and a quantitative reasoning of 290 which is what worries me. Do they look at individual scores or just one score?

Members don't see this ad :)
If everyone is getting 300+ scores, whoz getting the 300- scores?

Originally posted by r3kapur
Hi guys,

Just got my OAT scores. I am not sure what they look at with most schools. I got a 370 academic average... a total science of 400 and a quantitative reasoning of 290 which is what worries me. Do they look at individual scores or just one score?

good god! way to go man! :clap:

Hi guys,

I don't think you need to worry:)

r3kapur,

if u are applying to berkeley, your quantitative reasoning might be too low. they like to see scores in the "above 350's" across the sections. but if in doubt just ask the admissions on what they think.

rule of thumb: score average across the sections for the schools you want to apply to and you're good. one sub 300 score may not be too bad relative to your super high score :) . nice job!

To be competitive, most schools look for 310 or above in overall score and similar scores in each section.

Hi guys,

Hi all,

So I'm getting both views. Some say it's not a problem and others think it will be.

Anyway, I guess the best thing to do is to ask the schools myself.

Cheers.

Originally posted by rpames
I have never spoken to a person how was happy with their quantitative section...
I was just reading on another thread that the MCAT doesn?t have a quantitative reasoning section. So, are the OAT prep books the only way to prepare for this section?

ACT and SAT math prep books are really good. I used a book called Math for Standardized Tests, i think. It was sooooooo helpful. I strongly recommend getting something like this. It had all the basic reviews of geometry and percents and such. And all those crazy word problems like how many fenceposts you need for your yard or whatever. It also had really great tips on how to solve problems fast. They worked. I finished the quantitative reasoning section with plenty of time to spare!

Originally posted by J.opt
I was just reading on another thread that the MCAT doesn?t have a quantitative reasoning section. So, are the OAT prep books the only way to prepare for this section?
I did really well on the quant section, and I'm convinced it's because I was taking a genetics lab class at the time where we weren't allowed to use calculators. I got really good at estimating calculations in my head and thinking about whether the result made sense or not rather than blindly depending on my calculator. Of course I've completely lost that skill since taking the OAT and the lab class :rolleyes: .

Whoa! Those are high scores! I'm just wondering, are those scores percentiles or actual raw scores? Also, are the OATs THAT easy? It seems like breeze just looking at these high scores! Any advice on studying?

JG777 said:
r3kapur,

if u are applying to berkeley, your quantitative reasoning might be too low. they like to see scores in the "above 350's" across the sections. but if in doubt just ask the admissions on what they think.

All the optometry schools would like to see that you are consistent for all sections of the OAT.

The OAT scores for UCBSO students have been averaged at least 330+ since 1996 (http://spectacle.berkeley.edu/admissions/admitprofl.html).

I would be a bit concerned of the 290 score as 300 is usually the national average. However, your high science score should balance that a bit.

Schools are looking for more than just OAT scores. Great volunteer or work experience, leadership skills and other traits are considered.

- Rosanna

((Total Science: 350, Bio: 360, G Chem: 340, O Chem: 330, Physics: 330, Reading Comp: 310, Quantitative Reasoning: 330, Academic Average: 330, and I was accepted into all five schools I applied to))

The OAT is scored on a scale of 200-400, with 300 as the national average.

OAT Score: Percentile Band Equivalent:
400 99.3 - 100
390 98.5 - 99.2
380 97.1 - 98.4
370 96 - 97
360 93 - 95
350 88 - 92
340 82 - 87
330 75 - 81
320 66 -74
310 56 - 65
300 46 - 55