1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

OAT study materials

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by imru2, Dec 9, 2005.

1. imru2

imru2 New Member

Hi all,

My boyfriend will be taking the OAT sometime within the next 12 months, and I would like to give him some study materials for Christmas. (I know, lame gifts…) I have read everything you all have written in this forum about study materials, but I’m not sure exactly what to get. I would greatly appreciate you opinions and recommendations!

1. Should I get Topscore or OAT Achiever?

2. Should I get the Kaplan 2005 OAT prep book? Or is there something better, and if so, what is the name and/or isbn?

3. What is the name and/or isbn of the official DAT book about which you rave? And should I get that instead of or in addition to the Kaplan study guide?

4. Are there any additional materials that are extremely helpful?

Thank you all so much for your help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gioiarioia

gioiarioia SCO Class of 2010
    5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I had the Topscore CD, but didn't like it... it costs about $50 (and expires, be careful if you buy to buy new, not used). I don't know anything about the OAT Achiever.

I primarily used the 1000 page Kaplan MCAT Comprehensive Review (about $70) and Kaplan OAT (used this to take practice tests).

Many have recommended the Kaplan DAT book, so I'm sure it is good, too. But it doesn't cover Physics (which is on the OAT).

If you know his study methods, you might also package together some notecards (for flashcards), highlighters, etc. as part of the gift. Merry Christmas to you both!

4. pre-O.D.

pre-O.D. Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    I am in the process of studying myself. I bought the Kaplan OAT book, which has practice tests, topscore (haven't used yet), and all of the materials from the Kaplan OAT course. I did not take the course itself, but someone was selling the material that they use in the course. I will be using this mostly to study. There are flashcards for each subject, a huge review book for each subject, a lesson book, and a bunch of subject tests. This is a great resource. So if you can find someone who has taken the class and who is willing to sell their materials, that is a great option. Keeping looking on this forum or go to ebay.

5. tina13rvs

tina13rvs Membership Revoked
    Removed

I used Kaplan DAT blue book, DAT Achiever (OAT version available now), and my college textbooks. The first two are complementary to each other. Just pick anyone as a gift and ask your boyfriend to make up for the other one ... :)

6. UABSO2010

UABSO2010 Junior Member

Pre-Optometry
    I used Kaplan and Topscore in addition to a lot of questions out of MCAT physics and organic question books.
    Kaplan was really good for the most part, great explanations and a fairly good representation of what the test is really like (except that its paper)...
    Topscore on the other hand I wasn't so impressed with. It was really nice to have 3 full length tests to take as practice on the computer before the real thing, but I had 2 problems with it: 1) It wasn't very accurrate... some sections were much easier than the real thing, and the physics especially was much harder.... Obviously this probably varies from year to year and test to test, but I just didn't think it was all that accurate. 2)The third test especially is FULL of errors... I mean like to the tune of 10-15 significant errors between all the sections. Really makes you do a double take the first time you see your score for the third practice test, and if you don't know your stuff well enough to know that some of the answers are flat out wrong, I think it would REALLY mess you up!

Also: If you can get access to MCAT study materials for the verbal section, that really is a great way to prepare for the verbal on the OAT. I took MCAT prep-classes for 2+ years (once a week) before I actually took the OAT prep class, and we barely covered verbal once during the OAT prep class- because the OAT verbal is sooo easy compared to the MCAT stuff. If you can get good at that, you'll do well on the OAT verbal- I scored a 400. :)