OAT Study Materials

REJ815

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the OAT again end of Dec because SUNY and PCO asked me to. I used the big Kaplan book to study for the test the first time around. This time I was planning on using MCAT Exam Krackers for the science subjects and the ARCO GRE/GMAT Math Review for QR. Has anyone been successful on the OAT using these two sources... or would I be better off with the OAT Destroyer?

Members don't see this ad.

What were your scores first time, and what do you feel were your chief problems for not achieving a higher score the first time?

I'm taking the OAT again end of Dec because SUNY and PCO asked me to. I used the big Kaplan book to study for the test the first time around. This time I was planning on using MCAT Exam Krackers for the science subjects and the ARCO GRE/GMAT Math Review for QR. Has anyone been successful on the OAT using these two sources... or would I be better off with the OAT Destroyer?

I checked out the MCAT Exam krackers from the library and they were not as good as the kaplan book. They were just a less in depth version of the kaplan book. I did purchase some of the 1001 MCAT question series books. There is a book for each section and its 1001 tough questions. The organic and inorganic were very helpful. I also bought the OAT Destroyer and it was also very helpful. My advice would be to do as many practice problems as possible and study the concepts of the problems you miss.

You should definitely look back at your weaknesses on the actual OAT. What topics were you doing poorly on? What sections gave you the most difficulty? Did you have adequate time to complete the actual OAT? Why are you switching your resources for OAT prep?
Sometimes the resources that other students recommend will not work for you, so it's a difficult question to answer if your new resources will really work for YOU. You'll just have to try them out and do plenty of timed practice problems on your areas of weakness. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not proud to say... but TS 300 and AA 310.
My two weakest subjects were biology and physics. I actually studied bio from the big kaplan book the most and felt I knew all the material and when taking practice exams (top score and opted) bio was my best section so I'm not sure what happened.. I felt like a lot of the bio on the actual OAT was not covered in kaplan. As far as physics.. I thought the OAT was a lot more difficult than the kaplan physics section. By the time I got to QR I was exhausted and started freaking out bc I knew I'd be getting my score any minute so I could barely concentrate on the last 10 questions.. no excuses though. I know I shouldn't let that get to me. Anyways, thanks for all of your input!

I would recommend doing practice problems in the MCAT Physics Book by Biehle...he does an excellent job of explaining the physics' concepts. In addition, there are plenty of conceptual problems that will help you score higher on the actual OAT Physics test. If you can get a copy, then check it out...it's definitely worth it.

I'm not proud to say... but TS 300 and AA 310.
My two weakest subjects were biology and physics. I actually studied bio from the big kaplan book the most and felt I knew all the material and when taking practice exams (top score and opted) bio was my best section so I'm not sure what happened.. I felt like a lot of the bio on the actual OAT was not covered in kaplan. As far as physics.. I thought the OAT was a lot more difficult than the kaplan physics section. By the time I got to QR I was exhausted and started freaking out bc I knew I'd be getting my score any minute so I could barely concentrate on the last 10 questions.. no excuses though. I know I shouldn't let that get to me. Anyways, thanks for all of your input!

This is a good start. You know your weaknesses, now you just need to step up your game. Create a plan of attack, and execute.

Bio was the same for me. I did really well on kaplan, but not so well on the actual. Kaplan = really specific, OAT = general concepts applied. Get your key concepts down and you should do well.

Also, take full length practice tests to build up your stamina. Maybe invest in one of the 50$ programs. Remember, it is important to see which sections you did well on, and see why you did well on those sections.

I am applying to SUNY as well. Its been 3 1/2 weeks since I sent out my application. I haven't heard anything from them yet. Meanwhile, I contacted Dr. Johnston regarding my scores. Btw, my AA is 320 and TS is 350 so they are very similar to yours. He told me that I may retake the exam to increase my scores in Bio, QR and RC. I am applying to few other schools and hoping to get in somewhere. I am also waiting to hear from ICO but if I dont hear anything from either schools in next few weeks then I'll probably retake OAT which is not fun.
Anyway, Good Luck to you and keep us posted.