OAT: Take it or Wait

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, So I wanted to take the OAT for my first time this winter break. However, this leaves me with only 4 weeks to study.
I am taking Chemistry and Organic 1 this semester so it will be fresh in my mind.

But will 4 weeks be sufficient for me to briefly review and memorize the rest of the content or is this a bad idea? I don't really remember a lot of stuff, nor am I an exceptional science student.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think 4 weeks is enough time. You will probably be able to pass the OAT with a 300 but not get a good score.

Have you taken any practice tests? If you are scoring constantly high on practice tests then you are probably ok taking 4 weeks to study. The OAT is a tough test both in material and endurance. I would say spend a little bit longer studying and taking practice tests. You could take your OAT into January (depending on the school) and still have a good shot.

Depends on how you study and how efficient it is. I cranked out a 360 with maybe 2-3 weeks of studying?

I spent a week and a half studying with the Kaplan blue book and got a 330. Depends on how much time you have to devote to your studies(I'm currently taking 19 credit hours in undergrad and did nothing but the bare minimum in that week and a half for my classes), and how effective your methods are. It also depends on how strong your background is in the material. I spent almost no time studying for bio, but the content in that section is what I've studied during the past 3 years.