OAT Test day schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maribell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey can anyone let me know how the actual day is ganna be when we take the OAT. Its this Friday and I'm trying to see what its ganna be like. I know there's like 4 sections: Nat Sci, physics, quant reasoning, and reading comp....rt?? So I just want an idea of in which order its ganna be in? But more, I know we get some kind of break (15min or so). Is that it? And its not just one big test, rt? Meaning, we'll have the Nat Sci part...timer will start and timer will stop when finished...move on to physics...timer start up again and once done timer will stop...next section and so on. The timer is not on thru all the section, rt??? We will get some kind of break inbetween sections, rt? At least a minute or 2??? Can you tell I'm nervous. I'm trying to relax and not really study anymore, cuz I Lord knows I've been studying like crazy. I guess I want and idea of the timing situation so I can stratigize myself.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought it's saturday OCt. 16?
What I know, it's going to be Natural science First, followed by physics..then a break, then a non-graded test, then R/C then Math

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Here's the official schedule taken from www.opted.org. It has all the info you'll need:

Test Schedule

Survey of Natural Sciences 90 Minutes
Reading Comprehension Test 50 Minutes
Rest 15 Minutes
Pretest (Not scored) 25 Minutes
Physics Test 50 Minutes
Quantitative Reasoning Test 45 Minutes

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey thanks guys. And yes, the test is this Sat, not Friday. I made a mistake. See how nervous I'm getting.

So whats up with this non-graded section? Does anyone know what the subjet its ganna be one? And will they let us know which section is ganna be the non-graded one? Or is it ganna be where they don't tell us which one it is so that we have to give it our all on every section??

thanks again

They'll tell you! =)
it's very straight forward test (Although I haven't written it, it seems like I know how the test is LOL)
I'm so nervous too, especially when I can't find materials about the 5 kingdoms etc..MCAT books don't cover them! =(

does the five kingdoms classification still exist? i thought it got replaced by three domains: archaebacteria, eubacteria, and eukaryotes. this was a relatively recent discovery when microbiologists looked at the rna sequences of organisms. maybe i'm just completely off with this information...

Katalio said:
They'll tell you! =)
it's very straight forward test (Although I haven't written it, it seems like I know how the test is LOL)
I'm so nervous too, especially when I can't find materials about the 5 kingdoms etc..MCAT books don't cover them! =(

scraders said:
does the five kingdoms classification still exist? i thought it got replaced by three domains: archaebacteria, eubacteria, and eukaryotes. this was a relatively recent discovery when microbiologists looked at the rna sequences of organisms. maybe i'm just completely off with this information...

I highly doubt this, althrough I've been out of school for 5 years, I'm sure that OAT will test the established information, not the new findings. Also, where would plants or fungi fit in this 3 domain theory? I'm also taking it this Sat. :scared: in Los Angeles and I'm VERY nervous too as this is my one chance, so its do or die for me. :eek:

I know it's a bit late, but those who studied like crazy for the OAT, what specifics do we need to know for the 5 kingdom ? Coz I'm really guessing rite now since i have no clue how detail we need to know it.. any insight will be greatly appreciated! =)

For those who has Top Score Pro, did you find any mistakes in your test? Coz I think there are mistakes in them...

I was do or die when I took it too guys... it can be done !! I can't believe I'm a fourth year already :) You guys'll do great !! GOOD LUCK OPTOM PEEPS !!!!

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Katalio said:
I know it's a bit late, but those who studied like crazy for the OAT, what specifics do we need to know for the 5 kingdom ? Coz I'm really guessing rite now since i have no clue how detail we need to know it.. any insight will be greatly appreciated! =)

For those who has Top Score Pro, did you find any mistakes in your test? Coz I think there are mistakes in them...

Hey Katalio,

I've been using top score pro to study too. And I think there might be at least a few mistake on it. Can't really remember but I think they might be in the Quant Reas section and maybe in Gen Chem part. But I really can't remember. What sections have you found mistakes in?? Have that cd rom been helping you?? I think its pretty good. Its better than nothing for me since I didn't take any prep courses.

Good Luck

od2b77 said:
I highly doubt this, althrough I've been out of school for 5 years, I'm sure that OAT will test the established information, not the new findings. Also, where would plants or fungi fit in this 3 domain theory? I'm also taking it this Sat. :scared: in Los Angeles and I'm VERY nervous too as this is my one chance, so its do or die for me. :eek:

Hey just wondering if you're ganna take it at UCS this Sat??? IF you or anyone else are ganna take it this Sat at USC, see you there.

AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!! :)

I'm taking mine at UCD....Try to relax tomorrow everyone; I know it's hard to do the day before a big test but it will calm your nerves. Good luck to everyone! When in doubt, pick B :D

maribell said:
Hey just wondering if you're ganna take it at UCS this Sat??? IF you or anyone else are ganna take it this Sat at USC, see you there.

AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!! :)

Yep, at usc :) so see you there. Have you ever been there? What does taper hall looks like? I never been on that campus, so I'll need some extra time finding that hall.

Are those places somewhere in California?? hehe..sorry..I'm in Cdn, so I don't know the abbreviations..
Yeah..I 've found some in physics as well, it's really really weird. Some Q are just way off, I thought we don't have to know AC Circuits!!!!
What parts do you guys find the hardest with time?

Katalio said:
Are those places somewhere in California?? hehe..sorry..I'm in Cdn, so I don't know the abbreviations..
Yeah..I 've found some in physics as well, it's really really weird. Some Q are just way off, I thought we don't have to know AC Circuits!!!!
What parts do you guys find the hardest with time?

I was actually asking Maribell as he/she mentioned that place. :)
I found to errors on top score too, just a few. But I got my hands on Barron's DAT to practice nat.science and a LOT of their answers are definately incorrect. Even when I felt sure, I double checked with the book.

Hey guys... :)
I sutdy for the OAT with a Kaplan book and the Top Score cd. I did find errors in probably all sections...(excpet reading... i didnt double check those)...but if you can see the mistakes then your more than prepare...
Just want to say GOOD LUCK :luck: for every one taking the test...( I'm freaking out)....I hope you all get into the schools of your choice :)

od2b77 said:
Yep, at usc :) so see you there. Have you ever been there? What does taper hall looks like? I never been on that campus, so I'll need some extra time finding that hall.

hey od2b77,

Well I've lived in LA almost my whole life (moved away for undergrad but now I'm back) and I too have never been to the campus. Getting there is not the hard part. Its rt off the 110 fwy. The hard part will be finding where to park and finding the building. I think what I'm ganna do is drive out there tomorrow and find it that way I know exactly where to go and not waste time. So if you have the time, you might think about doing the same. And by the way, I'm a she :p

Good luck again to all

maribell said:
hey od2b77,

Well I've lived in LA almost my whole life (moved away for undergrad but now I'm back) and I too have never been to the campus. Getting there is not the hard part. Its rt off the 110 fwy. The hard part will be finding where to park and finding the building. I think what I'm ganna do is drive out there tomorrow and find it that way I know exactly where to go and not waste time. So if you have the time, you might think about doing the same. And by the way, I'm a she :p

Good luck again to all

I took a test a few weeks ago at USC and it was in Taper Hall too. I can't remember the name of the street, but if you do a search on Mapquest, it should give you the driving directions. You should enter on the east side of the campus. There's a parking booth and after you pay your $6 dollars for parking, ask the attendent where Taper Hall is. She will point you to it. Overall, the building is not hard to find. It's right next to the street so you don't have to walk all over campus looking for it.

maribell said:
Hey can anyone let me know how the actual day is ganna be when we take the OAT. Its this Friday and I'm trying to see what its ganna be like. I know there's like 4 sections: Nat Sci, physics, quant reasoning, and reading comp....rt?? So I just want an idea of in which order its ganna be in? But more, I know we get some kind of break (15min or so). Is that it? And its not just one big test, rt? Meaning, we'll have the Nat Sci part...timer will start and timer will stop when finished...move on to physics...timer start up again and once done timer will stop...next section and so on. The timer is not on thru all the section, rt??? We will get some kind of break inbetween sections, rt? At least a minute or 2??? Can you tell I'm nervous. I'm trying to relax and not really study anymore, cuz I Lord knows I've been studying like crazy. I guess I want and idea of the timing situation so I can stratigize myself.

Thanks guys.

there's one break... many people bring raisons