OAT vs other standardized exams

preoptooo

Reaction score
On the OptomCAS website, it has a chart of each school and which standardized exams they accept. Almost every school says they require the OAT, but also say they accept the GRE, MCAT, DAT, etc. Does that mean I would be okay with just taking, for example, the GRE (unless they ask me to take the OAT)?

Members don't see this ad.

So I can't speak for other schools but I recently attended an informational webinar for UIWRSO and they mentioned that you are welcome to take the GRE, but keep in mind that since the GRE does not focus on science, they will place more weight on your science grades during school. I guess if you did poorly in your Physics class during undergrad, that can be buffered by a good OAT physics score. However, when you take the GRE, there is not really a buffer for poor grades. Hope that makes sense and once again, this is only from UIWRSO. If you're not concerned about this aspect, then I don't think taking the GRE will look bad on you.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with @oatstudentadvice. I had an informal info session with Salus and although they accept the GRE, they have a preference to the OAT because of the science scores whereas the GRE is very general. If you feel like your science scores need to be boosted, then taking the OAT would reflect a little bit better if you get a higher score in the sciences.