OB and Caribbean Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBishop

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult to get an OB/GYN residence coming from a Caribbean school? Specifically a hospital in the Northeast.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it difficult to get an OB/GYN residence coming from a Caribbean school? Specifically a hospital in the Northeast.

It is getting more competitive, but it is very possible. Good scores, strong interest and motivation and good interview skills are a must, but there are plenty of jobs out there, in any region of the country. I interviewed ALL over the place (Ca, west, midwest, mid atlantic, northeast)at all kinds of programs (strong university as well as community) as an IMG, and had no issues at all.

I am not quite sure about OBGYN becoming more competitive (as I have not kept up with the recent trends) but I suspect you won't have any problem. Most American medical grads realize the medicolegal implications and overall poor status of pursuing OBGYN at the present time so I believe it is very reasonable as an FMG to pursue this. You WILL find a spot, I guarantee you. Have you ever considered anesthesiology? An excellent field, procedure oriented, friendly residents, happy people (something I rarely came across during my training) I believe there are still spots that FMGs can land. Just one person's opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not quite sure about OBGYN becoming more competitive (as I have not kept up with the recent trends) but I suspect you won't have any problem. Most American medical grads realize the medicolegal implications and overall poor status of pursuing OBGYN at the present time so I believe it is very reasonable as an FMG to pursue this. You WILL find a spot, I guarantee you. Have you ever considered anesthesiology? An excellent field, procedure oriented, friendly residents, happy people (something I rarely came across during my training) I believe there are still spots that FMGs can land. Just one person's opinion.

Thanks for the advice. I had thought that anesthesiology was almost impossible to get into coming out of a Caribbean school.

Anesthesiology has indeed become more competitive during these past two years. Good hours, interesting procedures, reasonable lifestyle, and GREAT compensation are the reasons why this field has become more competitive. Even with this trend, Carrib grads still match into Anesthesiology every year (especially schools like SGU, ROSS, and AUC). Also, I think that the recent gain in popularity for Anesthesiology is pretty normal. The wheel does go around and when the compensation starts to decrease, the popularity will suffer as well. Well, what do I know. I am not even a medical student yet.

Anesthesiology has indeed become more competitive during these past two years. Good hours, interesting procedures, reasonable lifestyle, and GREAT compensation are the reasons why this field has become more competitive. Even with this trend, Carrib grads still match into Anesthesiology every year (especially schools like SGU, ROSS, and AUC). Also, I think that the recent gain in popularity for Anesthesiology is pretty normal. The wheel does go around and when the compensation starts to decrease, the popularity will suffer as well. Well, what do I know. I am not even a medical student yet.

Where I was last year, the entering anethesia class at a large midwestern academic program was over 50% FMG (and most of them carribean grads).

Is there anywhere that lists the percent accepted/hardest OB residences to get?