SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

OB and Caribbean Grad

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by LBishop, Mar 1, 2007.

1. LBishop

LBishop Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Is it difficult to get an OB/GYN residence coming from a Caribbean school? Specifically a hospital in the Northeast.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. pruritis_ani

pruritis_ani Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 10, 2005
    It is getting more competitive, but it is very possible. Good scores, strong interest and motivation and good interview skills are a must, but there are plenty of jobs out there, in any region of the country. I interviewed ALL over the place (Ca, west, midwest, mid atlantic, northeast)at all kinds of programs (strong university as well as community) as an IMG, and had no issues at all.

4. FormerOB

FormerOB 2+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I am not quite sure about OBGYN becoming more competitive (as I have not kept up with the recent trends) but I suspect you won't have any problem. Most American medical grads realize the medicolegal implications and overall poor status of pursuing OBGYN at the present time so I believe it is very reasonable as an FMG to pursue this. You WILL find a spot, I guarantee you. Have you ever considered anesthesiology? An excellent field, procedure oriented, friendly residents, happy people (something I rarely came across during my training) I believe there are still spots that FMGs can land. Just one person's opinion.

5. LBishop

Mar 21, 2006
    Thanks for the advice. I had thought that anesthesiology was almost impossible to get into coming out of a Caribbean school.

6. Inkabellous

Inkabellous 2+ Year Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Anesthesiology has indeed become more competitive during these past two years. Good hours, interesting procedures, reasonable lifestyle, and GREAT compensation are the reasons why this field has become more competitive. Even with this trend, Carrib grads still match into Anesthesiology every year (especially schools like SGU, ROSS, and AUC). Also, I think that the recent gain in popularity for Anesthesiology is pretty normal. The wheel does go around and when the compensation starts to decrease, the popularity will suffer as well. Well, what do I know. I am not even a medical student yet.

7. toxic-megacolon

toxic-megacolon Toxic Member 10+ Year Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Where I was last year, the entering anethesia class at a large midwestern academic program was over 50% FMG (and most of them carribean grads).

8. LBishop

Mar 21, 2006
    Is there anywhere that lists the percent accepted/hardest OB residences to get?