OB/GYN Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an MS1 and interested in doing OB/GYN. I was wondering if someone can give me some advice. I am looking for and applying to summer programs, such as research in women's health and Hospital in Medical Education programs. These programs entail involvement for the entire summer (12 weeks). However, some things came up for this summer which is leaving me forced to choose between doing something to beef up my (future) residency applications or the other plans (these involve the family...however, I will still be obtaining exposure to OB/GYN by volunteering in a women's clinic with a close family friend).

My question: What do you recommend? Did you do any programs between MS1 and MS2? Is it beneficial/will it help make me a competitive applicant?

I am looking to try and compromise the situation by looking for programs that are not the entire summer.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades, board scores and third year clerkship grades will be much more important than anything you could do this summer.

Your grades, board scores and third year clerkship grades will be much more important than anything you could do this summer.

Applicants to top programs all have the same grades, board scores and clerkship evals, though. I think one way to differentiate yourself is to pursue unique experiences like the one you may be describing--plus, it makes for interesting interview conversation. As a side note, I would encourage you to keep your mind open at this point to other specialties, as well. I think it is difficult to know as a first year exactly what you want to go into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applicants to top programs all have the same grades, board scores and clerkship evals, though. I think one way to differentiate yourself is to pursue unique experiences like the one you may be describing--plus, it makes for interesting interview conversation. As a side note, I would encourage you to keep your mind open at this point to other specialties, as well. I think it is difficult to know as a first year exactly what you want to go into.

I agree with both of the responses above, but I think overall, there is not one thing that will make or break your application. Do what you love. Everyone has commitments and no one will fault you for choosing to be with your family over doing something that may help your application (and during which you will probably wish you were with your family).

Overall, the best way to beef up your application is to do well on your third year clerkships, your boards, and get awesome letters. Bonuses are programs like you're pursuing, or do something that highlights what you love to do with medicine and what your plans are (international rotation, a master's in public health, a month at a journal, clinical research, etc). Don't worry too much about this one opportunity - there will be many others.

Is there a faculty member at your med school or near your family you could do research with? Research is not necessary for OB/GYN, but based on the programs you're talking about it sounds like you might be interested in it. You could make the project less than 12 weeks and still have time to spend with your family. Good luck!

I would highly recommend research if you have the time for it. It'll help for any residency you decide to pursue even if you end up not doing OBG.

Also keep an open mind. I switched specialties a few times while in med school..lol and said the one thing I would never do was OBG...

I would highly recommend research if you have the time for it. It'll help for any residency you decide to pursue even if you end up not doing OBG.

Also keep an open mind. I switched specialties a few times while in med school..lol and said the one thing I would never do was OBG...

My words exactly!! All of my research until about halfway through 3rd year was in other fields.