OB/GYN NBME #4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would really appreciate your help.

A previously healthy 39 yo at 37 wks gestation comes to the ER 2 hrs after the onset of acute pain in the Lt. hemithroax, says that the pain is worsened by breathing. her temp is 38.2C, pulse is 120, RR is 24, bp is 110/70. fetal heart tones are 170/min, exam shows no abnormalities. An x-ray of the chest shows no abnormalities. ECG shows nonspecific changes. ABG is below:

pH 7.43
pCO2: 35
pO2: 70

dx?

A. angina pectoris
B. costochondritis
C. myocardial infraction
D. pul embolus
E. viral pneumonia

So I am leaning toward D, but would the pain be worsened with breathing? I am not sure if that's one of the symptoms of PE as I think pain is not always there with PE. fetal HR 170 doesn't sound bad so I don't think it's E either. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if im completely wrong but she's pregnant so she is in a hypercoagulable state. She has sudden onset CP with tachycardia. To me that's a PE.

Viral pneumonia will give you CP with a fever but it's not sudden in onset.

Reactions: 1 user

A previously healthy 39 yo at 37 wks gestation comes to the ER 2 hrs after the onset of acute pain in the Lt. hemithroax, says that the pain is worsened by breathing. her temp is 38.2C, pulse is 120, RR is 24, bp is 110/70. fetal heart tones are 170/min, exam shows no abnormalities. An x-ray of the chest shows no abnormalities. ECG shows nonspecific changes. ABG is below:

pH 7.43

dx?

A. angina pectoris
B. costochondritis
C. myocardial infraction
D. pul embolus
E. viral pneumonia

So I am leaning toward D, but would the pain be worsened with breathing? I am not sure if that's one of the symptoms of PE as I think pain is not always there with PE. fetal HR 170 doesn't sound bad so I don't think it's E either. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Hypercoagulable
Pleuritic chest pain
Tachycardia
Tachypnea
Low grade fever
Respiratory alkalosis

That's got PE written all over it

Sent from my XT1585 using SDN mobile

pH 7.43

dx?

A. angina pectoris
B. costochondritis
C. myocardial infraction
D. pul embolus
E. viral pneumonia

Pleuritic pain (worse with breathing) is one of the cardinal symptoms of PE.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about this one? Any help/explanation is greatly appreciated.

A 42-year-old woman comes to the physician because of 3-month history of urinary urgency and frequency and occasional incontinence and a 2-month history of numbness below her waist. She has had to get up at least three times at night to void. She has not had fever, pain with urination, or cloudy urine. She has relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis; symptoms have included double vision 10 years ago and right leg weakness 3 years ago. Sensation to vibration is decreased over both feet. Deep tendon reflexes are 3+ at the knees. Urinalysis is within normal limits. Her postvoid residual volume is 45 mL, which of the following is the most likely cause this patient’s urinary findings?
A) Detrusor hyperreflexia
B) Detrusor hypotonia
C) External sphincter hyperactivity
D) External sphincter incompetence
E) Overflow incontinence secondary to bladder outlet obstruction

How about this one? Any help/explanation is greatly appreciated.

A 42-year-old woman comes to the physician because of 3-month history of urinary urgency and frequency and occasional incontinence and a 2-month history of numbness below her waist. She has had to get up at least three times at night to void. She has not had fever, pain with urination, or cloudy urine. She has relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis; symptoms have included double vision 10 years ago and right leg weakness 3 years ago. Sensation to vibration is decreased over both feet. Deep tendon reflexes are 3+ at the knees. Urinalysis is within normal limits. Her postvoid residual volume is 45 mL, which of the following is the most likely cause this patient’s urinary findings?
A) Detrusor hyperreflexia
B) Detrusor hypotonia
C) External sphincter hyperactivity
D) External sphincter incompetence
E) Overflow incontinence secondary to bladder outlet obstruction

A. Detrusor hyperreflexia
Patients with MS most commonly develop urge incontinence due to the loss of central nervous system inhibition of detrusor contraction (detrusor hyperreflexia) in the bladder. As the disease progresses, the bladder can become atonic and dilated, leading to outflow incontinence.

This was a note I had on the subject from Step 1, not sure if Kaplan or UW as source.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks man, I should have known this with the hx of MS and neurological deficit. For somehow, I thought residual urine volume being less than 50 ml being normal and ruled it out. Stupid of me. Thanks!

Can anyone help me with this q?

a 23 year old primigravid woman at 33 weeks gestation is admitted to the hospital b/c she has not felt fetal movement for 2 day. Pregnancy had been uncomplicated. She has no history of serious illness. Her sister had 3 spontaneous abortions The patient's temp is 37C, pulse 80/min, BP 110/60. Examination shows a soft uterus consistent in size w/ a 33-week gestation. Fundal height is 34cm. Fetal heart tones cannot be auscultated. Ultrasonography confirms intrauterine fetal demise. Labarotory studies show the patient to be a homozygote for the factor V Leiden mutation. Thrombosis of which of the following is the most likely cause of the fetal demise?

a) fetal cerebral arteries
b) fetal ductus arteriosus
c) maternal lower extremity
d) umbilical cord
e) uteroplacental artery

Anyone?

Here are another another qs one I would like to discuss:

A 36-year-o d woman, gravida 1, para 1, has been unable to conceive for 1 year. Her vaginal delivery 2 years ago was complicated by postpartum hemorrhage and endometritis treated With dilatation and curettage. She has not resumed menses since delivery but does have cyclic abdominal pain. Examination shows normal findings. Her husband's semen analysis shows normal findings. Which of the following is the most likely cause?

A) Anovulation
B) Antisperm antibodies
C) Endometriosis
D) Luteal phase defect
E) Periadnexal adhesions
F) Tubal occlusion
G) Uterine synechiae

A 52-year-old postmenopausal woman comes to the physician for a health maintenance examination. She does not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. Her diet is low in fat. She receives estrogen and progestin replacement therapy for vasomotor symptoms. Her blood pressure is 130/76 mm Hg. Examination shows no abnormalities. This patient is at greatest risk for which of the following types of cancer?
A. Breast
B. Cervical
C. Endometrial
D. Lung
E. Ovarian

A 32-year-o d woman, gravida 1, para 1, at 34 weeks' gestation is admitted to the hospital in labor. Pregnancy had been complicated by blurred vision and a 23-kg (5-1b) weight gain over the past week. Her last routine prenatal Visit 1 month ago showed no abnormalities. Her temperature is 37 oc (98.6'F), pulse IS 80/min, respirations are 20/min, and blood pressure is 150/110 mm Hg. Examination shows retinal arteriolar spasms and pedal edema Laboratory studies show:

Hemoglobin 12.5 g/dL
Leukocyte count 8000/mm^3
Platelet count 200,000/mm^3
Serum creatinine 1.2 mg/dL
Urine protein 2+

This patient's fetus is at greatest risk for which of the following obstetric complications?

A) Brachial plexus injury
B) Fetal growth restriction
C) Hydrops
D) Macrosomia
E) Pulmonary hypoplasia
F) Sepsis

Last edited:
Anyone?

1) A 36-year-o d woman, gravida 1, para 1, has been unable to conceive for 1 year. Her vaginal delivery 2 years ago was complicated by postpartum hemorrhage and endometritis treated With dilatation and curettage. She has not resumed menses since delivery but does have cyclic abdominal pain. Examination shows normal findings. Her husband's semen analysis shows normal findings. Which of the following is the most likely cause?

A) Anovulation
B) Antisperm antibodies
C) Endometriosis
D) Luteal phase defect
E) Periadnexal adhesions
F) Tubal occlusion
G) Uterine synechiae

2)A 52-year-old postmenopausal woman comes to the physician for a health maintenance examination. She does not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. Her diet is low in fat. She receives estrogen and progestin replacement therapy for vasomotor symptoms. Her blood pressure is 130/76 mm Hg. Examination shows no abnormalities. This patient is at greatest risk for which of the following types of cancer?
A. Breast
B. Cervical
C. Endometrial
D. Lung
E. Ovarian

3) A 32-year-o d woman, gravida 1, para 1, at 34 weeks' gestation is admitted to the hospital in labor. Pregnancy had been complicated by blurred vision and a 23-kg (5-1b) weight gain over the past week. Her last routine prenatal Visit 1 month ago showed no abnormalities. Her temperature is 37 oc (98.6'F), pulse IS 80/min, respirations are 20/min, and blood pressure is 150/110 mm Hg. Examination shows retinal arteriolar spasms and pedal edema Laboratory studies show:

Hemoglobin 12.5 g/dL
Urine protein 2+

This patient's fetus is at greatest risk for which of the following obstetric complications?

C) Hydrops
D) Macrosomia
E) Pulmonary hypoplasia
F) Sepsis

For question one, it sounds like it could be G given her history uterine surgery with her D&C.

Question 2.... my guess would be breast cancer since its common and they're giving you limited risk factors.

So question three sounds like preeclampsia with severe features. Those kids are at greatest risk for IUGR so your answer is B.

For question one, it sounds like it could be G given her history uterine surgery with her D&C.

Question 2.... my guess would be breast cancer since its common and they're giving you limited risk factors.

So question three sounds like preeclampsia with severe features. Those kids are at greatest risk for IUGR so your answer is B.
Thanks for the input, I will let you know the answers in case they are wrong.

How about this one?

a 23 year old primigravid woman at 33 weeks gestation is admitted to the hospital b/c she has not felt fetal movement for 2 day. Pregnancy had been uncomplicated. She has no history of serious illness. Her sister had 3 spontaneous abortions The patient's temp is 37C, pulse 80/min, BP 110/60. Examination shows a soft uterus consistent in size w/ a 33-week gestation. Fundal height is 34cm. Fetal heart tones cannot be auscultated. Ultrasonography confirms intrauterine fetal demise. Labarotory studies show the patient to be a homozygote for the factor V Leiden mutation. Thrombosis of which of the following is the most likely cause of the fetal demise?

d) umbilical cord
e) uteroplacental artery

How about this one?

d) umbilical cord
e) uteroplacental artery

Honestly not 100% sure on this one but I want to say D...only because I literally just saw this scenario in person.

27 yo primigravid woman at 37 wk is admitted for labor after an uncomplicated pregnancy. fetal heart tones are reactive. spontaneous rupture of membrane occurs with moderate blood-stained fluid, followed by a deep, persistent fetal heart bradycardia. The uterus is soft and nontender. the cervix is 3 cm dilated, there is a vertex presentation, which is the dx?

A. abruptio placentae
B. cervical cancer
C. cervical polyp
D. ectopic pregnancy
E. hydatidiform mole
F. incomplete abortion
G. placenta previa
H. ruptured uterus
I. threatened abortion
J. vasa previa

So I want to say the dx is abruption that can cause fetal bradycardia, but can this also be threatened abortion? any thoughts? Also, ruptured uterus can also cause fetal brady, right?

27 yo primigravid woman at 37 wk is admitted for labor after an uncomplicated pregnancy. fetal heart tones are reactive. spontaneous rupture of membrane occurs with moderate blood-stained fluid, followed by a deep, persistent fetal heart bradycardia. The uterus is soft and nontender. the cervix is 3 cm dilated, there is a vertex presentation, which is the dx?

A. abruptio placentae
B. cervical cancer
C. cervical polyp
D. ectopic pregnancy
E. hydatidiform mole
F. incomplete abortion
G. placenta previa
H. ruptured uterus
I. threatened abortion
J. vasa previa

So I want to say the dx is abruption that can cause fetal bradycardia, but can this also be threatened abortion? any thoughts? Also, ruptured uterus can also cause fetal brady, right?
Dang, never mind, the fact that there is only moderate blood stained fluid, I want to rule out abruption. Also, the pt's uterus is soft and nontender so it cannot be ruptured uterus either. I guess "I" is the answer. You guys all agree with me?

Members don't see this ad :)

How about this one?

d) umbilical cord
e) uteroplacental artery
It's between D and E. I'm leaning towards E because hypercoagulablity is something intrinsic to the mother and doesn't directly transfer to the fetus. The uteroplacental artery directly interacts with mother's blood and, therefore, it seems to be more vulnerable for thrombosis than the umbilical cord.

Dang, never mind, the fact that there is only moderate blood stained fluid, I want to rule out abruption. Also, the pt's uterus is soft and nontender so it cannot be ruptured uterus either. I guess "I" is the answer.
Would the cervix be closed in threatened abortion? I'm thinking abruption.

It's between D and E. I'm leaning towards E because hypercoagulablity is something intrinsic to the mother and doesn't directly transfer to the fetus. The uteroplacental artery directly interacts with mother's blood and, therefore, it seems to be more vulnerable for thrombosis than the umbilical cord.
Man, that's deep. Makes sense. thanks, I will pick E and let you know if I get wrong.

Here are some more qs I would like to get some help.

27 yo gravida 3, para 3, had the sudden onset of severe, sharp pain in the Rt. lower quadrant of the abdomen, pain in the Rt. shoulder, light-headedness, nausea, and rectal pressure 6 hours ago. uses a diaphragm for contraception, and her last menstrual period was 24 days ago. her bp is 120/70 mm Hg, and pulse is 80 with no orthostatic changes. there is moderate tenderness of the Rt. lower quadrant of the abdomen w/o guarding or rebound tenderness, bowel sounds are active. Culdocentesis shows 15 ml of nonclotting, serosanguineous fluid with a hematocrit of 5%. a pregnancy test is negative. dx?

So culdocentesis is to see if there is any PID, but I don't know if the finding of culdocentesis is normal here. Any thoughts? Thank you.

A 25 year old primigravid woman is admitted in labor at 39 weeks gestation. The cervix is 6 cm dilated and 100% effaced. The presenting part is not palpable. Fetal heart rate is 140/min. The estimated fetal weight is 3200 g (7 lbs 1 oz). Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?
a) X ray pelvimetry
b)Ultrasonography
c) Oxytocin augmentation
d) Amniotomy
e) Cesarean delivery.

25 yo woman comes to physician b/c of 4 wk hx of Rt sided pelvic pain. she has been sexually active with one partner for 3 years. they use condoms for contraception. her last menstrual period was 3 wks ago. she is afebrile. pelvic exam shows a 12 cm, cystic, mobile, right adnexal mass. her CA 125 is 35 (N<35). b-hCG is negative. x-ray of the abdomen shows calcium deposits in the mass. dx?

A. cystic teratoma
B. ectopic preg
C. fallopian tube carcinoma
D. follicular cyst
E. leiomyomata uteri

So what is the significance of "calcium deposits?" I want to pick D, but not really sure.

32 yo primigravida at term has a cervix 5 cm dilated x 4 hours despite oxytocin. contractions every 3 minutes and are 55 to 64 mm hg. exam shows molded vertex and caput succedaneum. diagnosis?
a. arrest of active phase
b. hypotonic contractions
c. protracted latent phase
d. normal active phase
e.normal second stage

A 17 yr old primigravid patient comes to the physician b/c she has had decreased fetal movement over the past 2 days. she doesn't recall the date of her last menstrual period and has had only one previous visit. exam shows a uterus consistent in size with 32 wk gestation. ultrasound shows a biparietal diameter consistent with a 31 wk gestation. there is a duodenal bubble and flaccid tone of the fetus. which one is the most likely cause of these findings?

A. congenital megacolon (Hirschsprung dz)
B. Down syndrome
C. fetal growth restriction
D. gonadal dysgenesis 45, X (Turner)
E. placental insufficiency

Last edited:

Yes you were right on both qs. Breast and IUGR.

So abruption was not the answer, any thoughts?
hmm. interesting. OK, I see why abruption is wrong. The stem doesn't mention abdominal pain. It's not threatened or incomplete abortion either. Not ruptured uterus either because of no mention of pain or loss of station. Obviously not a mole or ectopic.

The only remaining plausible options are the previas.

hmm. interesting. OK, I see why abruption is wrong. The stem doesn't mention abdominal pain. It's not threatened or incomplete abortion either. Not ruptured uterus either because of no mention of pain or loss of station. Obviously not a mole or ectopic.

The only remaining plausible options are the previas.
Which previa though? Both are painless which is the case in this pt.

A. abruptio placentae
B. cervical cancer
C. cervical polyp
D. ectopic pregnancy
E. hydatidiform mole
F. incomplete abortion
G. placenta previa
H. ruptured uterus
I. threatened abortion
J. vasa previa

It's J, vasa previa (got this one correct).

For the bleeding questions, always consider first if painful or not. As you already considered, painful = either rupture or abruption. If painless, it's one of the previas. Next step is to determine who is bleeding. Placenta previa = mom is losing blood. Vasa previa = baby is losing blood. This vignette is telling you that the source of bleeding is baby given the deep and persistent bradycardia. Hope that helps!

Here are some more qs I would like to get some help.
Answers below:
A 25 year old primigravid woman is admitted in labor at 39 weeks gestation. The cervix is 6 cm dilated and 100% effaced. The presenting part is not palpable. Fetal heart rate is 140/min. The estimated fetal weight is 3200 g (7 lbs 1 oz). Which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?
a) X ray pelvimetry
b)Ultrasonography
c) Oxytocin augmentation
d) Amniotomy
e) Cesarean delivery.
Answer = B. By telling you the presenting part is not palpable despite being fairly dilated and effaced, they are saying that baby is likely not vertex. You would do an ultrasound next to determine baby's position.

25 yo woman comes to physician b/c of 4 wk hx of Rt sided pelvic pain. she has been sexually active with one partner for 3 years. they use condoms for contraception. her last menstrual period was 3 wks ago. she is afebrile. pelvic exam shows a 12 cm, cystic, mobile, right adnexal mass. her CA 125 is 35 (N<35). b-hCG is negative. x-ray of the abdomen shows calcium deposits in the mass. dx?
A. cystic teratoma
B. ectopic preg
C. fallopian tube carcinoma
D. follicular cyst
E. leiomyomata uteri
Answer = A. In the cyst questions, calcium deposits always indicate teratoma (can have teeth, bone, etc - my favorite cyst!!)

32 yo primigravida at term has a cervix 5 cm dilated x 4 hours despite oxytocin. contractions every 3 minutes and are 55 to 64 mm hg. exam shows molded vertex and caput succedaneum. diagnosis?
a. arrest of active phase
b. hypotonic contractions
c. protracted latent phase
d. normal active phase
e.normal second stage
This one I got incorrect (because I was using the 6cm cutoff for active labor), but I believe it's A. They use the old cutoff of 4cm for active phase still (as of April 2017), so if she's been at the same dilation for 4 hours in active labor that means arrest. Molding and caput also point to baby's head being compressed by the vaginal canal for a while.

A 17 yr old primigravid patient comes to the physician b/c she has had decreased fetal movement over the past 2 days. she doesn't recall the date of her last menstrual period and has had only one previous visit. exam shows a uterus consistent in size with 32 wk gestation. ultrasound shows a biparietal diameter consistent with a 31 wk gestation. there is a duodenal bubble and flaccid tone of the fetus. which one is the most likely cause of these findings?
A. congenital megacolon (Hirschsprung dz)
B. Down syndrome
C. fetal growth restriction
D. gonadal dysgenesis 45, X (Turner)
E. placental insufficiency
Answer = B. Duodenal bubble is telling you duodenal atresia, which is associated w/ Down syndrome. Hypotonia is also associated.

Hope that helps! I'm procrastinating studying for step 2 :)

Last edited:
A 36-year-o d woman, gravida 1, para 1, has been unable to conceive for 1 year. Her vaginal delivery 2 years ago was complicated by postpartum hemorrhage and endometritis treated With dilatation and curettage. She has not resumed menses since delivery but does have cyclic abdominal pain. Examination shows normal findings. Her husband's semen analysis shows normal findings. Which of the following is the most likely cause?
A) Anovulation
B) Antisperm antibodies
C) Endometriosis
D) Luteal phase defect
E) Periadnexal adhesions
F) Tubal occlusion
G) Uterine synechiae
Answer = G. This is synonymous with Asherman syndrome aka adhesions. The clue here is previous endometritis treated w/ D&C.

A 52-year-old postmenopausal woman comes to the physician for a health maintenance examination. She does not smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. Her diet is low in fat. She receives estrogen and progestin replacement therapy for vasomotor symptoms. Her blood pressure is 130/76 mm Hg. Examination shows no abnormalities. This patient is at greatest risk for which of the following types of cancer?
A. Breast
B. Cervical
C. Endometrial
D. Lung
E. Ovarian
Answer = A. Estrogen replacement increases risk for both breast and endometrial cancers. However, she is also getting progestin, which counteracts the increased cancer risk of in the endometrium.

A 32-year-o d woman, gravida 1, para 1, at 34 weeks' gestation is admitted to the hospital in labor. Pregnancy had been complicated by blurred vision and a 23-kg (5-1b) weight gain over the past week. Her last routine prenatal Visit 1 month ago showed no abnormalities. Her temperature is 37 oc (98.6'F), pulse IS 80/min, respirations are 20/min, and blood pressure is 150/110 mm Hg. Examination shows retinal arteriolar spasms and pedal edema Laboratory studies show:
Hemoglobin 12.5 g/dL
Urine protein 2+

C) Hydrops
D) Macrosomia
E) Pulmonary hypoplasia
F) Sepsis
Answer = B. She has pre-eclampsia (high BP w/ elevated Cr and blurred vision in her case), which can cause uteroplacental insufficiency leading to fetal growth restriction.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Could you please help me with these qs?

42 yo gravida 2, para 1 at 20 wks gestation comes to the physician for a routine prenatal visit. she has tested positive for factor V Leiden mutation. her 1st pregnancy was uncomplicated, and she delivered at term by c section for breech presentation. she has smoked one pack of cigarette daily for 20 yrs and has continued to smoke during pregnancy. she does not drink alcohol. she maintains a vega diet, and owns/manages a vegetarian restaurant. lives at home with her partner and son. temp is 37C, pulse is 80/min, resp 16, bp 100/60 mm Hg. physical exam shows no abnormalities. ultrasound shows a fetus consistent in size with a 20 wk gestation with normal amniotic fluid volume. placenta is anterior, and the distal portion covers the internal cervical os. which of the following is the greatest predisposing factor for this pt's findings on ultrasonsography?

A. maternal age
B. nutritional status
C. previous cesarean delivery
D. smoking hx
E. thrombophilia
--> So this sounds like placenta previa right? I chose A and got it wrong. I really have no clue with this.

19 yo female comes to the ER b/c of moderate lower abdominal pain and vaginal spotting that began after her last menstrual period 2 wks ago. menses occur at regular 28 day intervals. she underwent a first trimester elective abortion 8 months ago and has been using an oral contraceptive since then. she has been sexually active with one male partner for 1 year. her temp is 37.6C, other vital signs are within normal limits. abdominal exam shows no tenderness. pelvic exam shows blood tinged discharge at the cervical os. there is cervical motion and mild uterine tenderness. urine pregnancy test is negative. which of the following is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?

A. chlamydia trachomatis infection
B. endometrial polyp
C. levonorgestrel induced endometrial atrophy
D. retained products of conception
E. trichomoniasis
--> So I chose B and got wrong, so she has cervical motion and uterine tenderness so PID? A is the answer perhaps?

22 yo primigravid at 39 wks gestation has had ruptured membrane for 5 hours w/o contraction. her prenatal course was uncomplicated. her cervix is 80% effaced and 2 cm dilated. the fetal position is right occipitoposterior. fetal HR is 160 with little variation. which of the following is the most likely explanation for this pattern?

A. chorioamnionitis
B. fetal sleep state
C. occipitoposterior position
D. umbilical cord compression
E. uteroplacental insufficiency
--> I chose A and got it wrong, any idea?

27 yo female gravida 3, para 3, had the sudden onset of severe, sharp pain in the Rt. lower quadrant of the abdomen, pain the Rt. shoulder, light headedness, nausea, and rectal pressure 6 hrs ago. she uses diaphragm for contraception, and her last menstrual period was 24 days ago. her bp is 120/70, and pulse is 80 with no orthostatic changes. there is moderate tenderness of the Rt. lower quadrant of the abdomen w/o guarding or rebound tenderness, bowel sounds are active. culdocentesis shows 15 mL of nonclotting, serosanquineous fluid with a hematocrit of 5%. pregnancy test is negative

A. adenomyosis
B. adnexal torsion
C. appendicitis
D. diverticulitis
E. ectopic pregnancy
F. endometriosis
G. endometritis
H. inflammatory bowel dz
I. leiomyomata uteri
J. ovarian carcinoma
K. pelvic inflammatory dz
L. primary dysmenorrhea
M. renal calculus
N. ruptured corpus luteum cyst
O. spontaneous abortion

--> chose K and was wrong. what gives "pain the Rt. shoulder, light headedness, nausea, and rectal pressure ?"

36 yo female gravida 2, para 1, 41 wks has had ruptured membranes w/o contractions for 8 hrs. her first infant weighed 4422g at birth. this pregnancy has been uncomplicated except for gestational diabetes, which was diagnosed at 26 wks gestation and has been well controlled with diet. initial assessment shows a fundal height of 40 cm. on ultrasonography, the estimated fetal weight is 3714 g. the cervix is 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. the fetal heart rate is within normal limits. labor is induced with intravenous oxytocin. 4 hrs later, her cervic is 4 cm dilated and completely effaced. continuous epidural anesthesia is administered. 2 hours later, the fetal heart rate pattern demonstrates late decelerations with each contraction. the contractions occur every minute, last 45 seconds, and are 75 mm Hg at their peak. which of the following is the most likely explanation for this pattern?

A. epidural anesthesia
B. fetal macrosomia
C. gestational diabetes
D. oxytocin administration
E. postdates pregnancy
--> I chose B and it was wrong.

42 yo gravida 2, para 1 at 20 wks gestation comes to the physician for a routine prenatal visit. she has tested positive for factor V Leiden mutation. her 1st pregnancy was uncomplicated, and she delivered at term by c section for breech presentation. she has smoked one pack of cigarette daily for 20 yrs and has continued to smoke during pregnancy. she does not drink alcohol. she maintains a vega diet, and owns/manages a vegetarian restaurant. lives at home with her partner and son. temp is 37C, pulse is 80/min, resp 16, bp 100/60 mm Hg. physical exam shows no abnormalities. ultrasound shows a fetus consistent in size with a 20 wk gestation with normal amniotic fluid volume. placenta is anterior, and the distal portion covers the internal cervical os. which of the following is the greatest predisposing factor for this pt's findings on ultrasonsography?

A. maternal age
B. nutritional status
D. smoking hx
E. thrombophilia
--> So this sounds like placenta previa right? I chose A and got it wrong. I really have no clue with this.

This one is between A and C. Since A is wrong, it's going to be C. My rationale is that it's the only choice that directly disrupts the architecture of the uterus.

19 yo female comes to the ER b/c of moderate lower abdominal pain and vaginal spotting that began after her last menstrual period 2 wks ago. menses occur at regular 28 day intervals. she underwent a first trimester elective abortion 8 months ago and has been using an oral contraceptive since then. she has been sexually active with one male partner for 1 year. her temp is 37.6C, other vital signs are within normal limits. abdominal exam shows no tenderness. pelvic exam shows blood tinged discharge at the cervical os. there is cervical motion and mild uterine tenderness. urine pregnancy test is negative. which of the following is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?

B. endometrial polyp
E. trichomoniasis
--> So I chose B and got wrong, so she has cervical motion and uterine tenderness so PID? A is the answer perhaps?

This one I'd go with A due to the cervical motion tenderness.

22 yo primigravid at 39 wks gestation has had ruptured membrane for 5 hours w/o contraction. her prenatal course was uncomplicated. her cervix is 80% effaced and 2 cm dilated. the fetal position is right occipitoposterior. fetal HR is 160 with little variation. which of the following is the most likely explanation for this pattern?

A. chorioamnionitis
B. fetal sleep state

This one is not A because mother would have fever and baby would have higher pulse. It's not D because this would result in variable deceleration. It's not E because it would result in late deceleration. It's between B and C. I'd go with B because of the "little variation" clue.

27 yo female gravida 3, para 3, had the sudden onset of severe, sharp pain in the Rt. lower quadrant of the abdomen, pain the Rt. shoulder, light headedness, nausea, and rectal pressure 6 hrs ago. she uses diaphragm for contraception, and her last menstrual period was 24 days ago. her bp is 120/70, and pulse is 80 with no orthostatic changes. there is moderate tenderness of the Rt. lower quadrant of the abdomen w/o guarding or rebound tenderness, bowel sounds are active. culdocentesis shows 15 mL of nonclotting, serosanquineous fluid with a hematocrit of 5%. pregnancy test is negative

A. adenomyosis
B. adnexal torsion
C. appendicitis
D. diverticulitis
E. ectopic pregnancy
F. endometriosis
G. endometritis
H. inflammatory bowel dz
I. leiomyomata uteri
J. ovarian carcinoma
L. primary dysmenorrhea
M. renal calculus
O. spontaneous abortion

--> chose K and was wrong. what gives "pain the Rt. shoulder, light headedness, nausea, and rectal pressure ?"

This one I'd go with ruptured cyst. the shoulder pain indicates diaphragm irritation by the intraabdominal fluid from the cyst.

36 yo female gravida 2, para 1, 41 wks has had ruptured membranes w/o contractions for 8 hrs. her first infant weighed 4422g at birth. this pregnancy has been uncomplicated except for gestational diabetes, which was diagnosed at 26 wks gestation and has been well controlled with diet. initial assessment shows a fundal height of 40 cm. on ultrasonography, the estimated fetal weight is 3714 g. the cervix is 2 cm dilated and 50% effaced. the fetal heart rate is within normal limits. labor is induced with intravenous oxytocin. 4 hrs later, her cervic is 4 cm dilated and completely effaced. continuous epidural anesthesia is administered. 2 hours later, the fetal heart rate pattern demonstrates late decelerations with each contraction. the contractions occur every minute, last 45 seconds, and are 75 mm Hg at their peak. which of the following is the most likely explanation for this pattern?

A. epidural anesthesia
B. fetal macrosomia
C. gestational diabetes
E. postdates pregnancy
--> I chose B and it was wrong.

This one is a crapshoot. I'd go with D.

A. maternal age
B. nutritional status
D. smoking hx
E. thrombophilia

B. endometrial polyp
E. trichomoniasis

A. chorioamnionitis
B. fetal sleep state

A. adenomyosis
B. adnexal torsion
C. appendicitis
D. diverticulitis
E. ectopic pregnancy
F. endometriosis
G. endometritis
H. inflammatory bowel dz
I. leiomyomata uteri
J. ovarian carcinoma
L. primary dysmenorrhea
M. renal calculus
O. spontaneous abortion

A. epidural anesthesia
B. fetal macrosomia
C. gestational diabetes
E. postdates pregnancy
--> I chose B and it was wrong
Sure! This is actually quite helpful for my step 2 review, so it's win-win.

Which of the following is the greatest predisposing factor for this pt's findings on ultrasonsography?
A. maternal age
B. nutritional status
D. smoking hx
E. thrombophilia
Answer = C. You're correct in thinking this is a previa. Prior cesarean is a risk for abnormal placentation due to the scar tissue it creates.

Which of the following is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?
B. endometrial polyp
E. trichomoniasis
Answer = A. You're correct again, this is PID, which can be due to Chlamydia infection. The cervical motion tenderness and uterine tenderness was key. Polyps aren't painful to my knowledge and it tends to occur in an older age group.

Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this pattern?
A. chorioamnionitis
B. fetal sleep state
Answer = B (probably). I also got this one wrong and had to look it up, but B is what my notes say. The other answers just don't make sense and a non-reactive stress test is frequently due to a sleep state.

Most likely explanation for pain:
A. adenomyosis
B. adnexal torsion
C. appendicitis
D. diverticulitis
E. ectopic pregnancy
F. endometriosis
G. endometritis
H. inflammatory bowel dz
I. leiomyomata uteri
J. ovarian carcinoma
L. primary dysmenorrhea
M. renal calculus
O. spontaneous abortion
Answer = N. The keys here are the acuity of onset and where she is in her cycle. The severe onset of RLQ pain with light headedness is consistent with ruptured cyst, and the fact that she is in the luteal phase (24 days post period) points to a corpus luteum cyst. The cyst is fluid filled, so when it ruptures, the fluid goes into the abdominal cavity and annoys it, which I believe is what's causing some of the symptoms you mentioned.

Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this pattern?
A. epidural anesthesia
B. fetal macrosomia
C. gestational diabetes
E. postdates pregnancy
--> I chose B and it was wrong
Answer = D. The baby is certainly huge, but that doesn't explain the contraction pattern and late decels. Contractions every minute = tachysystole (>5 contractions in 10 min over 30 minute period), which is a side effect of too much oxytocin. This stresses out baby, which is causing the late decels.

Reactions: 1 users

A. maternal age
B. nutritional status
D. smoking hx
E. thrombophilia

Just had a question in UW about same exact thing. painless bleeding and PMHx of C-section. Answer was placenta previa

These are my last qs for #4 promise lol!

37 yo primigravid woman at 35 wks gestation comes to the physician for a routine prenatal visit. she has been receiving routine prenatal care since 8 wks gestation. pregnancy has been complicated by the onset of HTN at 18 wks gestation that has been well controlled with labetalol. she has an 18 yr hx of type 1 DM. her hemoglobin A1c at 8 wk was 5.7%, her bp is now 140/90. exam shows a soft uterus w/ a fundal height of 32 cm. the fetal HR is 140, serum shows urea nitrogen conc of 8 mg/dl and creatinine conc of 1 mg/dl. 24 hr urine collection shows a protein conc of 800 mg. ultrasonography shows a normal fetus at the 5th percentile for weight, the placenta is ant. and fundal. there is a mild decrease in the amount of amniotic fluid. which is the most likely cause of the ultrasound findings?

A. adverse drug effect
B. fetal congenital malformation
C. incorrect gestational age
D. placental dysfunction
E. trisomy 21

I chose C and got it wrong, so is it B then? I really have no clue.

A 32 yo gravida 2, para 1, at 27 wks gestation is brought to the ER b/c of 3 hrs hx of painful contractions every 5 min. she has not had vaginal discharge or itching, during her 1st prenatal visit, routine urine culture grew 10,000 colonies of group B strep. she was not treated at that time b/c she was asymptomatic. she has no hx of serious illness, pregnancy has been otherwise uncomplicated. she takes no meds and has an allergy to penicillin. her 1st pregnancy ended in spontaneous vaginal delivery at 33 wk. her temp is 37.8C, pulse is 100, bp 90/50. abdominal exam shows tenderness to percussion over the Rt. flank. the uterus is nontender and consistent in size with a 27 wk gestation, the fetal HR is 160, uterine contractions occur every 5 min and lasts 45 sec. pelvic exam show the cervix is 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced, the vertex is at 0 station, which is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?

A. chorioamnionitis
B. incompetent cervix
C. premature rupture of membranes
D. pyelonephritis
E. sepsis

Chose C and was wrong, so A???

These are my last qs for #4 promise lol!

37 yo primigravid woman at 35 wks gestation comes to the physician for a routine prenatal visit. she has been receiving routine prenatal care since 8 wks gestation. pregnancy has been complicated by the onset of HTN at 18 wks gestation that has been well controlled with labetalol. she has an 18 yr hx of type 1 DM. her hemoglobin A1c at 8 wk was 5.7%, her bp is now 140/90. exam shows a soft uterus w/ a fundal height of 32 cm. the fetal HR is 140, serum shows urea nitrogen conc of 8 mg/dl and creatinine conc of 1 mg/dl. 24 hr urine collection shows a protein conc of 800 mg. ultrasonography shows a normal fetus at the 5th percentile for weight, the placenta is ant. and fundal. there is a mild decrease in the amount of amniotic fluid. which is the most likely cause of the ultrasound findings?

A. adverse drug effect
D. placental dysfunction
E. trisomy 21

A 32 yo gravida 2, para 1, at 27 wks gestation is brought to the ER b/c of 3 hrs hx of painful contractions every 5 min. she has not had vaginal discharge or itching, during her 1st prenatal visit, routine urine culture grew 10,000 colonies of group B strep. she was not treated at that time b/c she was asymptomatic. she has no hx of serious illness, pregnancy has been otherwise uncomplicated. she takes no meds and has an allergy to penicillin. her 1st pregnancy ended in spontaneous vaginal delivery at 33 wk. her temp is 37.8C, pulse is 100, bp 90/50. abdominal exam shows tenderness to percussion over the Rt. flank. the uterus is nontender and consistent in size with a 27 wk gestation, the fetal HR is 160, uterine contractions occur every 5 min and lasts 45 sec. pelvic exam show the cervix is 2 cm dilated and 75% effaced, the vertex is at 0 station, which is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?

A. chorioamnionitis
B. incompetent cervix
D. pyelonephritis
E. sepsis

Lol, no worries.

Which is the most likely cause of the ultrasound findings?
A. adverse drug effect
D. placental dysfunction
E. trisomy 21
Answer = D. They told you she's had routine prenatal care since 8 weeks. Dating from around that time is the most accurate, so C is unlikely. Preeclampsia (which she has based on 24 hour urine protein) can cause uteroplacental insufficiency. The "mild decrease in amniontic fluid" is also telling you it could be oligohydramnios or nearing that point, which can be caused uteroplacental insufficiency, so answer D makes the most sense.

Which is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?
A. chorioamnionitis
B. incompetent cervix
D. pyelonephritis
E. sepsis
Answer = D. Remember that not all complications of pregnancy have to do with the uterus/fetus. They told you she had bacteria in her urine that was untreated and now she is having CVA tenderness, classic for pyelo. Pregnancy predisposes to pyelo because of urinary stasis, which is why you treat asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy.

Lol, no worries.

Which is the most likely cause of the ultrasound findings?
A. adverse drug effect
D. placental dysfunction
E. trisomy 21
Answer = D. They told you she's had routine prenatal care since 8 weeks. Dating from around that time is the most accurate, so C is unlikely. Preeclampsia (which she has based on 24 hour urine protein) can cause uteroplacental insufficiency. The "mild decrease in amniontic fluid" is also telling you it could be oligohydramnios or nearing that point, which can be caused uteroplacental insufficiency, so answer D makes the most sense.

Which is the most likely cause of this pt's symptoms?
A. chorioamnionitis
B. incompetent cervix
D. pyelonephritis
E. sepsis
Answer = D. Remember that not all complications of pregnancy have to do with the uterus/fetus. They told you she had bacteria in her urine that was untreated and now she is having CVA tenderness, classic for pyelo. Pregnancy predisposes to pyelo because of urinary stasis, which is why you treat asymptomatic bacteriuria in pregnancy.
hey Doyou, if I pass my OB GYN, it's all b/c of you man, thanks so much!!!!

hey Doyou, if I pass my OB GYN, it's all b/c of you man, thanks so much!!!!
My pleasure! Did you just start third year, is this your first shelf? I would think this would be a difficult one to start on.

I've always been a fast test taker, so I didn't do any practice for the shelf exams with a timer. I did most of the practice NBMEs untimed and took notes on all the questions as I went. It was great to be able to go back to my notes right before each shelf and review both the questions I got right and the ones I got wrong. It's annoying you only get to see your incorrects in the official score report. But it's fairly easy for me to go back to my notes and look up what I put for each question, except they give the questions to everyone in a different order, so finding the question is the hardest part.