OB/GYN - Primary Care ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LIDO

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks,

I have been told that many woman use their OB/GYN as a primary care doctor. Will this bode well for OB/GYN doctors in the future?

With the HUGE shortage of primary care doctors.....plus the huge push for more primary care doctors.....

Are OB/GYN docs considered primary care docs under this new legislation and reworking of medicare rates?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.....thank you very much :)

Members don't see this ad.

I heard the same thing about many women using their Ob/Gyn as their primary care provider. I thought maybe we could benefit from the primary care scholarship, so I asked our financial aid chancellor. After checking, he told me that Ob/gyn isn't considered primary care under the primary care scholarship offered by the government.

They probably use the same definition for primary care physician in the government for the rest of their legislation.

Hello folks,

I have been told that many woman use their OB/GYN as a primary care doctor. Will this bode well for OB/GYN doctors in the future?

With the HUGE shortage of primary care doctors.....plus the huge push for more primary care doctors.....

Are OB/GYN docs considered primary care docs under this new legislation and reworking of medicare rates?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.....thank you very much :)

I heard the same thing about many women using their Ob/Gyn as their primary care provider. I thought maybe we could benefit from the primary care scholarship, so I asked our financial aid chancellor. After checking, he told me that Ob/gyn isn't considered primary care under the primary care scholarship offered by the government.

:confused: Which scholarship? The NHSC (National Health Service Corps) scholarship considers OB/gyn to be primary care....

Members don't see this ad :)
It's the Primary Care Loan Program (PCL). This is what the email said:

"In response to your question, I was informed that OBGYN is not acceptable under the Primary Care Scholarship and Loan program. Now there have been some updates in the Primary Care program, so you may want to continue to stay in contact in the event this status changes."

The email was send Dec 2009.

I took a peek at the website, and found this as well.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/dsa/pcl.htm

" NON-PRIMARY HEALTH CARE
NON-ACCEPTABLE
Cardiology
Gastroenterology
Obstetrics/Gynecology
Surgery
Dermatology
Radiology
Rehabilitation Medicine
Psychiatry
Emergency Medicine"

It's the Primary Care Loan Program (PCL). This is what the email said:

"In response to your question, I was informed that OBGYN is not acceptable under the Primary Care Scholarship and Loan program. Now there have been some updates in the Primary Care program, so you may want to continue to stay in contact in the event this status changes."

The email was send Dec 2009.

I took a peek at the website, and found this as well.

http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/dsa/pcl.htm

" NON-PRIMARY HEALTH CARE
NON-ACCEPTABLE
Cardiology
Gastroenterology
Obstetrics/Gynecology
Surgery
Dermatology
Radiology
Rehabilitation Medicine
Psychiatry
Emergency Medicine"

For starters, there are several primary care programs. The one that you're describing is a loan program (i.e. you have to pay it back with interest), but there are other programs that are scholarships, that do allow you to do ob/gyn.

Really? What are some of the other ones? The mini presentation that the Financial Aid people gave us made it seem like this was the only one specifically for Primary Care.

Really? What are some of the other ones? The mini presentation that the Financial Aid people gave us made it seem like this was the only one specifically for Primary Care.

That may be the only loan available for primary care. There are scholarships, including the NHSC and state-run programs. The NHSC allows IM, FM, peds, psych, and OB/gyn. Each state program has different requirements.

Finally, there is also the loan repayment program, which is also run by the NHSC. They help pay back your loans after you finish residency.

Thanks for the sharp responce. I'll definately look into those.