Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

OB GYN programs & strategy for the perfect match

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by 237875, Dec 19, 2008.

1. 237875

Medical Student
    Rockstars :

1. Experiences and thoughts (during rotations) about OB GYN programs across the US? I'm looking for something friendly, academic and in a major city on the east coast but curious whats out there in general:idea:

2. Best order for 4th year rotations to get the perfect match at a great program? ie is it better to showcase at reaches, safeties or a couple of each?

-Dan :thumbup:
    MS III family planning and std wonk

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. smq123

smq123 John William Waterhouse
    Administrator Physician SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Judging from your SN and from your sig, I take it that you're interested in family planning and providing abortions.

Pittsburgh is a VERY good program that has a very, very strong family planning component. The residents are almost unbelievably nice, and get along very well. I would highly recommend doing a family planning rotation at Magee/UPMC.

Doing a rotation there also helps you, since they interview everyone who does an away there.

Everyone has a different opinion about away rotations.

Doing a rotation at a reach might really be a waste of money and time. If it's a reach, and you don't blow them away, they may STILL not interview you - and that's a huge blow to your ego, trust me.

It's also a LOT harder to impress people on an away rotation. You don't know the hospital system, so you have to adjust. You have to deal with living in a strange apartment/city for a few weeks, and sometimes you can get homesick. It's also harder to choose a "good" rotation where you will have the opportunity to shine, because you don't know which services are good for students, and which are not.

4. 237875

Medical Student
    Thanks for the tip about Pitt, I had heard some good things about them and global health OB. :xf:

-Dan