OB/GYN Resident Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dotsero

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 1st year who is interested in OB/GYN and wondering about the stats of successful OB/GYN residents. What is the typical class rank? GPA? Board scores? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Dotsero said:
I am a 1st year who is interested in OB/GYN and wondering about the stats of successful OB/GYN residents. What is the typical class rank? GPA? Board scores? Thanks
You are a 1st year where? FMG? DO? Allopathic US School? what type of program do you want the stats for? Academic? Community? Community with Academic Affiliation? Any state in particular? California will be harder than the Midwest.

In spite of a recent surge of interest in OB/GYN, it is not a difficult match. Passing scores with solid letters of recommendation from a US allopathic program should place you in a competitive position for the majority of programs.

ohbee gin said:
You are a 1st year where? FMG? DO? Allopathic US School? what type of program do you want the stats for? Academic? Community? Community with Academic Affiliation? Any state in particular? California will be harder than the Midwest.

In spite of a recent surge of interest in OB/GYN, it is not a difficult match. Passing scores with solid letters of recommendation from a US allopathic program should place you in a competitive position for the majority of programs.
Hi there,
If you dont mind I also have a question. Im a 2nd year at the Univ of Miami also interested in OB/GYN. I didnt know about the recent surge of interest, but how hard exactly is it to place in this residency? Step 1 scores etc? Also, Im a guy. Any info will be great thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
ohbee gin said:

I am a 1st year DO interested in an allopathic academic prorgam in the midwest or southwest.

I am a DO applicant going through the process now. I applied to allopathic programs and have 18 interview offers at this point. I think that it is key to apply early when you go through the process. For me as a student, my focus was not always on stats, but developing the best clinical experience and knowledge base that I can, b/c that is what is really most important. I applied East Coast only b/c I am married and not willing to move my husband to some random location. I applied with COMLEX scores only. Do you have any specfic questions?

Where did you apply? Where are you getting interviews? I am a DO student (3rd year) and interested in OBGYN too...just curious...

I've applied East Coast (Maryland, NJ, Conn, MA, NY) and have interviews in those states.

I am from Boston (but at CCOM as a 3rd year) and hoping to go back to Boston...can you tell me about any of your stats? You can PM me if you want to...any advice about getting those interviews would be helpful. Thanks a lot!

Any information available from poster Community in regards to Boston information? Thank you :)

eegerstm said:
Any information available from poster Community in regards to Boston information? Thank you :)

Hey eegerstm,

I only applied to the Brigham Program and Beth Israel Programs because those were the only programs that my husband would be willing to move for. In the area where I live, there were plenty programs at the same level of Tufts, Boston Med, U of Mass, etc. so I didn't feel it was necessary to apply to the ones in Boston. I did believe that DOs are in the Baystate/Tufts program ( http://www.baystatehealth.com/eCons...CRD&ctName=General Entry&subTypeVal=Residents ). You need to research the other programs to see if there are DOs. Also, keep in mind that you can also be the first. Don't rule out a program simply because they have never had a DO in their program; maybe none have applied. I did interview at the Brigham. It is everything you would want in a program and more. Both the residents and faculty are wonderful individuals and very supportive of one another.

My advice to you is to do all of your electives in Boston if you know that you would like to return there when you are done with medical school. Towards the end of the elective month, meet with the program director and chairman to express your interest in the program. It's a good idea to schedule the appointment for when you get there so that you can secure an appointment time. And by meeting towards the end of your elective you can describe your experiences and the qualities that you possess that helped you excel while you were there. Prepare ahead of time for these meetings. Also, taking a resume can't hurt. Be sure to send thank you cards after the encounter. It's best to do this within 24 hours of the interview.

One more comment........while you are at your electives be sure to meet with the individuals who will be evaluating you to find out what their expectations are of you as a student while you are there. At the two week mark (or halfway through the elective) you should meet with them again to discuss your progress. Ask them for feedback (eg. Am I meeting the expectations we discussed?) and for suggestions/strategies for improvement. You should also be able to articulate the progress that you believe you've made.

Good luck with the process!!!!! I hope you end up in Boston.

community

community said:
I am a DO applicant going through the process now. I applied to allopathic programs and have 18 interview offers at this point. I think that it is key to apply early when you go through the process. For me as a student, my focus was not always on stats, but developing the best clinical experience and knowledge base that I can, b/c that is what is really most important. I applied East Coast only b/c I am married and not willing to move my husband to some random location. I applied with COMLEX scores only. Do you have any specfic questions?

I am really interested in becoming an OB/GYN. I am male 1st year DO med student, nontraditional (43 yrs old), that will quite likely be in the lower middle of his class and have average (hopefully) board scores. My past experience includes being a RN in the ER and oncology. What are my chances in securing an academic, allopathic residency?

my stats were:
step 1 192/78
step 2 234/95
grades: about 3.5 overall, 3.1 pre clinical, 3.9 clinical
some research, but nothing serious
great LOR's
IMG

got lots and lots of offers, about 50% were good uni programs. ob/gyn is very open to applicants that can show decent scores/grades, and a strong interest in the field. there are plenty of spots at all kinds of programs in all parts of the country. i was pleasantly surprised at how positive my application was recieved. don't worry at all! if you are serious, you will get a great spot.

My wife is interested in ob/gyn she is c and b student. She failed her boards the first time and made a 195 the second time, she is very discouraged about her chances of getting into a program. I have been trying to encourage her and telling her that her chances are still good, but I need some hard facts.
1. Can she still get into a good residency?
2. How much will failing the boards the first time hurt her, and can good LORs overcome this
3. Does she need to take step 2 before applying?
4. Should she target community based programs over university based
Oh yea we are both 3rd yr med students,
thankyou in advance for any advice

1. yes
2. it hurts. good lor's and a strong step 2 will help. basically, the rest of the application needs to be strong.
3. YES
4. community will likely be easier, but i think that some uni programs will be open to a strong applicant with a weak step 1. target the programs you want, regardless. but, have some back up applications as well. i had a weak step 1 and got solid uni invites, and i am an IMG. so it certainly can be done.

best of luck

There are actually some programs out there that see each applicant as an individual, and not just a set of stats. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to know what those programs are. I would tell your wife to apply as widely as possible, all tiers of programs but a high number of programs to ensure her success. I wish her the best!!!!

community :)

community said:
There are actually some programs out there that see each applicant as an individual, and not just a set of stats. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to know what those programs are. I would tell your wife to apply as widely as possible, all tiers of programs but a high number of programs to ensure her success. I wish her the best!!!!

community :)

actually, i think there are a LOT more of these programs than people think. there are prob only a few that are really numbers based...and who wants to work somewhere like that anyhow? ;) :p

neilc said:
actually, i think there are a LOT more of these programs than people think. there are prob only a few that are really numbers based...and who wants to work somewhere like that anyhow? ;) :p
Thank you and everyone else for the advice, by any chance do you know the name of any of these programs

antmon said:
Thank you and everyone else for the advice, by any chance do you know the name of any of these programs

i think that the larger name, academic institutions will generally be looking for the stronger numbers. as an IMG, it is a bit tougher to guess why i didn't get an interview at some places (ie was it my grades, my IMG status or both), so my input is likely less helpful. but, i think the UCSF's, the johns hopkins, etc....are obviously going to place a higher value on numbers.

i can give you some programs where i interviewed or recieved invites to interview via pm if you want. but, i am not sure that it will be too helpful, really. they were typically university or community with a strong uni affiliation, smaller programs, mainly in the west.

basically, apply to the places you want to go. throw in enough "safety" programs to get enough interviews. include the programs you don't think you have a chance at, cause you may get surprised. i was surprised a lot by my invites. i was offered interviews from programs i truly did not expect to even look at my application, and i got no love from a few of my "safety nets'.

your application is more than your number. i think that most PD's have seen enough applications and applicants to get a decent idea of what they want to see on an application, and i know it goes beyond the step 1 score section.