OB/GYN-the unreachable dream?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

woundup2011

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Y'all,

Long time lurker, first time advice seeker. I'm a rising 4th year about to start the long painful process of match. A little about me to help any thoughts out there that you may have.
1)I was a solid C student in the first two years, I had a remediation for a systems section during 2nd year which I repassed with a B.
2)My Step 1 was a disappointing 192 even after an extension of study time.
3)My rotation grades have been a mixed bag of As and Bs.
4)Strong LORs, some non-OB research, strong volunteer record.

Given these circumtances, I have to do reasonbly well on Step 2 CK and CS. I plan on taking CK August 30th and CS September 30th. I anticipate CK scores to be released 4-8 wks from test date and CS scores released on Dec 8th.

Are my testing dates planned too late to make me any kind of a candidate for residency????? Will my application be on hold until CS scores are released???? Will programs even look at my application if my CK scores come back in Nov.???? Any thoughts, advice, opinions? I'll even take criticisms! 🙁
 
Hey Y'all,

Long time lurker, first time advice seeker. I'm a rising 4th year about to start the long painful process of match. A little about me to help any thoughts out there that you may have.
1)I was a solid C student in the first two years, I had a remediation for a systems section during 2nd year which I repassed with a B.
2)My Step 1 was a disappointing 192 even after an extension of study time.
3)My rotation grades have been a mixed bag of As and Bs.
4)Strong LORs, some non-OB research, strong volunteer record.

Given these circumtances, I have to do reasonbly well on Step 2 CK and CS. I plan on taking CK August 30th and CS September 30th. I anticipate CK scores to be released 4-8 wks from test date and CS scores released on Dec 8th.

Are my testing dates planned too late to make me any kind of a candidate for residency????? Will my application be on hold until CS scores are released???? Will programs even look at my application if my CK scores come back in Nov.???? Any thoughts, advice, opinions? I'll even take criticisms! 🙁


Step 1 score is low and will hurt you. If you can take Step 2 CK at the end of July you would get it for sure before applications are due. Nobody really cares when you take Step 2 CS so take it but don't blow it off and fail or anything.

I did only a few points better than you on Step 1 but studied more effectively for Step 2 CK and got 240+ so you should be fine.

As far as the remediation, it happened in your preclinical years so it shouldn't be a big deal. If they do ask, just answer honestly but to be frank, most of the PDs can hardly read a university transcript and basically skim the MSPE for key words and an idea of your percentile.

The main key for you is to apply BROADLY. The match was pretty tough this year for OB and I'm guessing it will only get a bit tougher this year.

Apply to a wide mix of community and academic programs.

Most important things for you:
1. Kill Step 2
2. Apply to a large number of programs. You are a weaker candidate and need to cast a really wide net in order to match, but it is definitely possible. It probably won't be at a super academic institution.

I matched with a worse record than yours so have hope.
 
Hey Obpgy1, Thanks for your advice. I'm working really hard on my Step 2 CK prep and hopefully having a more effective strategy and doing lots of questions will pay off. I've been told to apply to anywhere from 30-50 programs to get at least some interviews. Crossing my fingers that things go smoothly!Thanks again.
 
agree with everything obpgy1 said.

another suggestion is (presuming you perform strongly) doing several ob/gyn away rotations at programs you have a decent shot at. personal networking is huge, and if you rotate somewhere, shine like a star, and gel with the people you're working with, they'll usually forgive a suboptimal board score or transcript. in the end, regardless of the numbers game, programs are looking for people that will be reliable to work with.

do you have a good ob/gyn mentor at your medical school? finding one to be your advocate, who will review/revise your personal statement, make calls to programs on your behalf can go a long way as well.

best of luck to you.