ob gyn v. plastics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sockandmittens

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was curious whether or not any of you had ever been in my situation. I unfortunately had one of those stereotypical "bad ob" rotations which are frustrating to hear about, but unfortunately exist at some schools. I hated my rotation as a result. However, I love the field, the research, the politics, the conversations that one has in ob. I love the ob patients on other services.

I am a third year so I have time to decide (I'm actually just three months short of being done with the clinics we have a different schedule) so I do actually have a sense of what I like and don't.

However, I'm trying to put together applications for a research year and I'd like to do research in the field I plan on going into. I know it's not the end of the world to do research in the wrong field, but if I choose plastics which I loved as a rotation I can't really afford to do ob research. And I can't do any electives prior to the application deadlines.

Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice: if you think there is any chance you might want to do plastics then I would do the plastics research. It is much harder to match into.

If you can't do an OB elective then I would recommend contacting some private OBs in the community and ask if you can shadow them while you are doing your research elective. You should have plenty of time. In my experience the smaller groups will be more likely to let you shadow. I have also found that those in private practice really love their job so you will probably have a different experience than your rotation which sounds like it sucked.

I agree do the plastics research period! The research time alone will help get you into the ob res of your choice. Combine it with an ob subi if you can...or get a good letter from a someone at your program