Ob/gyn vs EM residency decision

Started by CaliCol
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaliCol

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know this has been discussed a few times in the past, but it is beginning to become that critical point where I must choose between the two specialities for residency. I have completed 3 rotations in ob/gyn and 1 rotation in ER (level 1 trauma). I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed both specialities. I liked the pace and variety and the ability to do procedures. During my ob/gyn rotations, most of the docs tried to turn me away from it, which I found alarming. I want to have a family in the future and am worried about the ob/gyn call/stressful lifestyle.

ob/gyn pros: enjoy the subject, love having "my" patients, love the procedures, fast paced, variety, rewarding, possible fellowship
ob/gyn cons: stressful, high liability, dec reimbursement, lots of hours, high burnout, malignant residencies, some horrible outcomes

ER pros: great variety, fast paced, nice income, ability to move around, ability to do as many shifts as you want, laid back personality, enough ob/gyn, procedures
ER cons: works 1/2 nights/weekends/holidays, high burnout/liability, not memorable, everyone hates the ER docs, bad patients, hospital administrations overrule docs, no professional development

If anyone has any insight or was in this position, can you explain how you decided?
Thanks!
 
I know one person who switched from OB to ED, and one who switched from ED to OB. The person who ended up in ED mainly switched because she liked procedures, but didn't like being in the OR as much as she thought she would as a student. Assisting on a hysterectomy, she'd be thinking "I can't wait until this is over!!" not "I can't wait until I'm primary on these!!" The person who switched into OB wanted to operate more. That would probably the most helpful distinction for you to figure out.
 
I actually really enjoy going to work each day. This may sound corny but the "my patients" and "rewarding" categories actually are very meaningful and are my favorite parts of the job. I'm only 3 years out of residency so I suppose that could change but my senior partners seem to feel the same way. There will be none of this in ER. Also, in OB, labor and delivery is your own unique domain that no other physician really understands.