ob lifestyle and money

Started by nissangtr
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nissangtr

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can we get some average 'ob/gyn' lifestyles and incomes listed here? there seems to be a huge gap in knowledge about this field regarding lifestyle/money.

also, can someone answer this question: is the income that ob/gyn's earn over fm/im docs negated by their lifestyle? like, do they make 50-75k more but have to work 10-15 hours extra per week to earn it? if thats the case, it's really not worth it.........
 
can we get some average 'ob/gyn' lifestyles and incomes listed here? there seems to be a huge gap in knowledge about this field regarding lifestyle/money.

also, can someone answer this question: is the income that ob/gyn's earn over fm/im docs negated by their lifestyle? like, do they make 50-75k more but have to work 10-15 hours extra per week to earn it? if thats the case, it's really not worth it.........

im not in OB, but i think i can say that if you want lifestyle dont go into OB.
 
im not in OB, but i think i can say that if you want lifestyle dont go into OB.
I have to say that if you're not an ob then your info is not at all helpful....unless you know someone who is. Why does everyone want to put students off being an ob/gyn?? You can never get a straight answer. We need some real qualified ob's to answer our questions and give advice. I know this is the internet but seeing as you're a resident-give at least some thought to a little grammar.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have to say that if you're not an ob then your info is not at all helpful....unless you know someone who is. Why does everyone want to put students off being an ob/gyn?? You can never get a straight answer. We need some real qualified ob's to answer our questions and give advice. I know this is the internet but seeing as you're a resident-give at least some thought to a little grammar.

I am not in OB/GYN (but have done rotation in it) but I agree that the lifestyle is not good at all. I have had multiple OB/GYN residents say that they think the lifestyle is worse than surgery. Unfortunately babies are born at all hours of the day. Can you have a rewarding career in it? Absolutely. Do some people love it? Absolutely. Is it a lifestyle field? nope
 
I think we are talking post-residency here. I don't think the lifestyle is worse than general surgery but it definitely a close second. You have to really enjoy obstetrics to do this job. It is very high volume. I think it is a very rewarding field but it is not for those who don't want to work hard for the rest of their lives. Personally, I love what I do.
 
The average income is extremely variable depending on where you want to live. For full-time newly graduated residents I have seen offers anywhere $150,000 to $350,000 per year. It all depends on where you want to live.
 
The average income is extremely variable depending on where you want to live. For full-time newly graduated residents I have seen offers anywhere $150,000 to $350,000 per year. It all depends on where you want to live.

Just out of curiosity, what is the regional distribution like? Also, i'm very interested in how the malpractice insurance figures into the equation.