Obama Addresses Physicians at AMA Meeting: Transcript of President Obama's Remar

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are threads on this in Topics in Healthcare and the SocioPoliticial forums. Naturally, they are divided right down the middle with the Kool-Aid drunks proclaiming his benevolent superiority... while the Ocommie crowd decries his strong handed political thuggery and the steady, relentless march to a state of social fascism....

In sum, he said "we're going to pay you less, NOT cap malpractice, stop the practice of defensive medicine, and afford you the opportunity to work more for less... and, if somehow you find a way to continue to earn a good living, we will tax the **** out you in order to pay for the opportunity to serve your common man. I mean, let's be honest here... it is only fair, in a country as rich as ours, that our doctors should be healers, not well paid professionals. Civil servants, not businessmen. Paupers, not evil speculators and pariahs... "

There are threads on this in Topics in Healthcare and the SocioPoliticial forums. Naturally, they are divided right down the middle with the Kool-Aid drunks proclaiming his benevolent superiority... while the Ocommie crowd decries his strong handed political thuggery and the steady, relentless march to a state of social fascism....

In sum, he said "we're going to pay you less, NOT cap malpractice, stop the practice of defensive medicine, and afford you the opportunity to work more for less... and, if somehow you find a way to continue to earn a good living, we will tax the **** out you in order to pay for the opportunity to serve your common man. I mean, let's be honest here... it is only fair, in a country as rich as ours, that our doctors should be healers, not well paid professionals. Civil servants, not businessmen. Paupers, not evil speculators and pariahs... "

Yeah, by the way, how much does President Obama and the congressmen make? Should they not lead by example? What about the Hollywood celebs who love to shout about injustice from their soap boxes made of gold? Should they not have their salary made fair too? Most importanly, where is my bail out for my medical school education debt?

Here is an idea Obama - no malpractice cap - BUT:

1. For all frivilous law suits, the plantiff pays the doctor's court fees/lawyer fees, for time lost at work and the doctor has the record of the law suit brought against him/her taken off the record.

2. Any lawyer found to be a part of 3, as in three strikes and you are out, frivilous law suits is disbarred either permanently, or suspended from practicing law for a decade.

Sound fair?

Lastly, the patient who refuses to take care of their chronic disease, such as diabetes, and come back over and over to the hospital with HbA1c of 11 should not get free care (at the expense of hard working people) to take care of the effects of the patient's lack of responsibility. You smoke, you get lung cancer, you pay for your treatment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with both analyzes... we have already started to call each other comrade around the office to get a head start...

But seriously, one of his ways to reduce the cost of health care is to reduce the reimbursement for laboratory test.. ( I guess we have to start paying to be allowed to do genetic/DNA test)..

I think basically, if we want top rated service we have to pay for it...

..In general the comrade in chief or chief Czar... encourages us NOT to take responsibility for your actions (take mortgages etc that we can not afford) or for your help (BMI or 60 and smoking)

That being said.. I have always thought that insurance companies have caused lots of problems in the way that we bill. Specifically, we charge much more for CPTs than we need in order to anticipate the amount that the insurance (particularly Medicare will reimburse.)

An example: lets say that a test cost $20 to run, we charge $100 to the insurance companies, and from Medicare will get $24 and from private ins. will get $70, but we have to charge the patient that is self-pay $100 (based on law). It seems that it would be easier (and more fair) if we get paid for what we charge, which would allow us to charge a lower amount.

Having just looked at our lab reimbursements, roughly 70% of our workload is from medicare/Medicaid patients however, they only account for 23% of our reimbursements.

Yeah, by the way, how much does President Obama and the congressmen make? Should they not lead by example? What about the Hollywood celebs who love to shout about injustice from their soap boxes made of gold? Should they not have their salary made fair too? Most importanly, where is my bail out for my medical school education debt?

Here is an idea Obama - no malpractice cap - BUT:

1. For all frivilous law suits, the plantiff pays the doctor's court fees/lawyer fees, for time lost at work and the doctor has the record of the law suit brought against him/her taken off the record.

2. Any lawyer found to be a part of 3, as in three strikes and you are out, frivilous law suits is disbarred either permanently, or suspended from practicing law for a decade.

Sound fair?

Lastly, the patient who refuses to take care of their chronic disease, such as diabetes, and come back over and over to the hospital with HbA1c of 11 should not get free care (at the expense of hard working people) to take care of the effects of the patient's lack of responsibility. You smoke, you get lung cancer, you pay for your treatment.

Bravo!!! my sentiments EXACTLY. too bad you're not in charge.