Obama or Romney (for pharmacists!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
3.8% is huge on investment income.

0.9% is not a deal breaker but still a huge sum you are single making $300k a year (~$1000 extra to medicare tax). I certainly can fill a lot of gas with $1000.

Yeah, I don't understand how he won with this stupid new rule. I guess people are just dumb and love losing their money. 🙄 Instead of keeping their money they want to give it to other people so they can stay home. :laugh:
 
Here we go again. I was kind of disappointed Romney didn't win simply because I'm sick as @#$* of hearing people complain.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't mind the 0.9% medicare increase on more wealthy individuals as long as it keeps Medicare solvent and around when it's my turn to pull from it. Giving more people access to healthcare is also a good thing and 0.9% on a large sum of money isn't too bad.
 
Love it!!! I couldn't agree with you more🙂



Because I know myself. And I care about people getting health care more than I care about' an additional 1K in my 300K bank account.

But hey, we're all different. it's about what is important to you I guess.

I made 45K before pharmacy school. Another 30 bucks a month to give people health care wouldn't have phased me then either.

But we're talking 300K here. That's a **** ton of money. And I'm not greedy.
 
Love it!!! I couldn't agree with you more🙂

I guess it's about frame of reference.

With 300K, I doubt I would ever have to worry about putting gas in my car or paying my medical bills. But I know what worrying about those things feels like. Is money a consideration for my career? Sure. But it's not the primary consideration. 300K would be a LOT of disposable income. I guess beyond taking a couple vacations every year somewhere cool, I'm not sure what else would improve my quality of life if I already have a home, car, family, a savings and some investments. I mean, 1K probably wouldn't be that noticeable to me at that income level. Just like 20-30 bucks a month now isn't that noticeable to me. A few lattes and a couple red bulls? Lulz and a thousand bucks? Maybe a few new outfits and shoes but I'm sure my closet wouldn't be bare then because it's not now 😛
 
This tax was already set with Obamacare/the Affordable Care Act in 2010. It wasn't really an election issue besides Romney saying he would repeal Obamacare, if that is indeed possible.

The tax also does not fund Medicare. In fact, funding for parts of Medicare will be reduced, and all of these payments and the tax will go towards funding Obamacare, mostly to provide subsidies to low income people to buy insurance.

I kind of agree that the 0.9% on wages does not seem that big. But the 3.8% on investment income is pretty significant. For a dual pharmacist couple, or one pharmacist married to another professional with about $125k income, their combined income is right on the $250k threshold. Then say they want to have a rental property, any net income from that will get taxed at:

3.8% Medicare tax
33% Tax bracket
+3% If Bush tax cuts are not extended for this tax bracket
+ Whatever your state income tax is
====
39.8+%
 
For a dual pharmacist couple, or one pharmacist married to another professional with about $125k income, their combined income is right on the $250k threshold.

Is the 0.9% levied on gross, or taxable, income? In your example, the couple may gross $250K but their taxable income would be less, thanks to various deductions. There are still many loopholes to bring your taxable income down.

I moonlight as a tax preparer, and find our tax code absolutely ridiculous. I fully support a flat-tax, even if it'll put me out of work.
 
Is the 0.9% levied on gross, or taxable, income? In your example, the couple may gross $250K but their taxable income would be less, thanks to various deductions. There are still many loopholes to bring your taxable income down.
It's based on gross income or what they call Modified Adjusted Gross Income. The "Modified" part means you add the foreign income and housing exclusions back onto the AGI. There are much fewer 'above the line' deductions to bring down AGI. I think mostly moving expenses, HSA and self-employed retirement plans, SS/Medicare taxes and health insurance.
 
Tax bracket for those making 174k-378k jumping to 39.6% from 35%. maximum allowed expenses for businesses is dropping from $139k to $25 per year. Corporate tax being REDUCED from 35% to 28% with a $3000 tax credit for every employee hired. When all said and done, i will pay around 40 percent of my income to taxes. Not to be greedy, and i too want people to be healthy, but damn, 40 percent in taxes. for 5 months out of the year, i will be working to pay tax, but hey, i cannot complain as I am living a dream 🙂
 
He's going to get a lot less popular in January.

actually more popular if they let the bush tax cuts expire..tax increase for everyone is not going to be popular and the cause will be republican ignorance. Thats why they dont care if there is a fiscal "cliff"
 
Most pharmacists are women. Most women marry up.

Pharmacist salary + MD salary = MORE than 250K a year.....

So Romney would be better for pharmacists.

Haha u r so right!! I am going to be a pharmer and my fiancé is in med school. It's too late to say who I'd vote for now but I think I'll go republican after we start workin. Lol





Class of 2017

SDN Mobile
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The increased tax is only on income made ABOVE $250k. This isn't really going to affect any of us.. Once its my wife's turn to inherit a full time night shift, we'll be taking in out $280,000 a year. So whoopity do, I'll pay like 3% more tax on $30,000 of income. Oh, no, $900! $17 on each of our paychecks!

I went from living in Appalachian squalor to living a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle in the East Coast Megalopolis. All thanks to the opportunities this country affords me that wouldn't be possible without a social safety net. Like I give a **** about $900 in the grand scheme of things.
 
The increased tax is only on income made ABOVE $250k. This isn't really going to affect any of us.. Once its my wife's turn to inherit a full time night shift, we'll be taking in out $280,000 a year. So whoopity do, I'll pay like 3% more tax on $30,000 of income. Oh, no, $900! $17 on each of our paychecks!

I went from living in Appalachian squalor to living a comfortable upper middle class lifestyle in the East Coast Megalopolis. All thanks to the opportunities this country affords me that wouldn't be possible without a social safety net. Like I give a **** about $900 in the grand scheme of things.

You won't pay even one dime more of taxes WVU. It's $250K in adjusted gross income.

$280K gross
- 17k 401k (WVU)
- 17k 401k (WVU's spouse)
- $4k personal exemption (WVU)
- $4k personal exemption (WVU spouse)
- $10k (standard deduction joint, more if itemizing) =

$228,000 AGI

I find it hard pressed for any dual pharmacist couple to ever have more than $250k in AGI because of easily deducting $17k per pharmacist for 401k/403b, personal exemptions and standard deductions. You'd have to have two pharmacists making ~$150k gross each and then with not itemizing. Pretty much impossible. Even in Cali where it may be possible to earn those salaries you will hit AMT before the increased tax rates matter anyway.
 
Haven't you heard that the world is ending in about a month? None of this matters anymore.
 
The debate about candidates and increased taxes is moot in my view, since, as healthcare providers, we are going to be getting a lot more of that money back in the forms of increased healthcare spending than anyone in other fields, who will ultimately only end up paying, not getting paid by healthcare.

I see obama as being a job insurance policy. With ACA and the inevitable move to national healthcare or coverage for all, pharmacies are going to be getting more than just a small slice of those hundreds of billions of new expenditures.

But other than that, i'm of the same view as rxlea .. is it worth a thousand dollars a year to pay for healthcare for those who are less fortunate? Of course . Not only is it money that will barely be missed (By someone in our income range), and not only does it feel good knowing that my friends and family who cannot afford or cannot get coverage will be taken care of, but also it is nice knowing that that tax money is coming back to us at least in part in the form of increased job security, raises due to higher labor demand, and an expanded provider role.

Imho, supporting obama and increased healthcare is basically a no brainer for a healthcare professional. May be a different story if you are making 500k as a surgeon and are going to get reimbursement cut , but as a regular run-of-the-mill HCP, there is no way you arent coming out ahead in some way.
 
Rxlea your liberal town is making you feel the white collar guilties and you don't even have the salary yet. The issue is not revenue it is spending. Neither party has addressed the entitlement programs or the overlapping agencies which exist. The populist message Obama ran on works well in getting re elected but it will not solve the problems of our country. Taking money from the private sector and transferring it to the public sector will only result in a stagnant economy such as Europe has experienced for the last 30 yrs.
 
Rxlea your liberal town is making you feel the white collar guilties and you don't even have the salary yet. The issue is not revenue it is spending. Neither party has addressed the entitlement programs or the overlapping agencies which exist. The populist message Obama ran on works well in getting re elected but it will not solve the problems of our country. Taking money from the private sector and transferring it to the public sector will only result in a stagnant economy such as Europe has experienced for the last 30 yrs.

armchair.expert.jpg
 
The debate about candidates and increased taxes is moot in my view, since, as healthcare providers, we are going to be getting a lot more of that money back in the forms of increased healthcare spending than anyone in other fields, who will ultimately only end up paying, not getting paid by healthcare.

I see obama as being a job insurance policy. With ACA and the inevitable move to national healthcare or coverage for all, pharmacies are going to be getting more than just a small slice of those hundreds of billions of new expenditures.

But other than that, i'm of the same view as rxlea .. is it worth a thousand dollars a year to pay for healthcare for those who are less fortunate? Of course . Not only is it money that will barely be missed (By someone in our income range), and not only does it feel good knowing that my friends and family who cannot afford or cannot get coverage will be taken care of, but also it is nice knowing that that tax money is coming back to us at least in part in the form of increased job security, raises due to higher labor demand, and an expanded provider role.

Imho, supporting obama and increased healthcare is basically a no brainer for a healthcare professional. May be a different story if you are making 500k as a surgeon and are going to get reimbursement cut , but as a regular run-of-the-mill HCP, there is no way you arent coming out ahead in some way.

Obama wants to cut reimbursment rates for all healthcare providers...so yes you can work, but he wants you to work for FREE.

Obama hasn't address WHERE the money is going to come from. He wants to provide healthcare for everyone (even the ones that are too lazy to work for it). And where is all this money going to come from? He doesn't want these lazy people to work...so where is the money going to come from? Nothing in life is free...

Oh yeah, increase taxes on hardworking people, so people that do NOT want to work can get free healthcare and other things. I guess this is a good system.

If I ever want to quit working. Does that mean Obama's programs will support me for life? :laugh: FREE EVERYTHING b/c I don't have a job. Well, if I look at it this way I guess it's good. :laugh: Who cares if the hardworking is getting taxed like hell...as long as I get everything for free I am cool. 😎
 
Lulz at white collar guilties

I don't feel guilty at all my friend. My liberal town rocks!!!

I remember when I was in college too and everything was wonderful. The only reason your liberal town exists is that hardworking taxpayers are footing the bill for free healthcare,education and food for the illegals. Let's see how happy you are when you enter the real world and you work 5 months of the year so all your "friends" can live well off the gov't tit.
 
I remember when I was in college too and everything was wonderful. The only reason your liberal town exists is that hardworking taxpayers are footing the bill for free healthcare,education and food for the illegals. Let's see how happy you are when you enter the real world and you work 5 months of the year so all your "friends" can live well off the gov't tit.

I'm 30 years old. I've seen enough real world pre pharm school and worked full time at a decent wage.

You don't know me.

"the illegals" ? You sound like a hater to me. Are you?

It's hard to take you seriously when you say stuff like that. If "the illegals" had a better path to citizenship, that would be great. I don't have a problem feeding people, especially children, either way.

As I said, money may not be as important to me as it is to others.
 
I remember when I was in college too and everything was wonderful. The only reason your liberal town exists is that hardworking taxpayers are footing the bill for free healthcare,education and food for the illegals. Let's see how happy you are when you enter the real world and you work 5 months of the year so all your "friends" can live well off the gov't tit.

I am an immigrant myself, but my family came over legally. We also paid more taxes than many Americans! :laugh:

What I don't understand is WHY on earth will people vote for lose immigration laws?

So as an American you want a bunch of people to move over here, steal your jobs, freeload on your money and NEVER pay a penny in taxes?

I don't get that. Why would anyone want a bunch of immigrants to come over and freeload while not paying taxes?

I am an immigrant so I don't have a problem with them...but again my family have also paid alot of taxes unlike illegal immigrants.

I don't understand why people like illegals over here...unless of course you are illegal and love to freeload too. 😕
 
Yeah I also hate those freeloading scumbags! Illegal are just here to freeload. They certainly do not work like dogs sometimes for less than minimum wage doing jobs many Americans consider themselves too good for without many of the benefits of being citizens, that's for sure. In no way whatsoever do they support our ridiculous standard of living. Bunch of trouble makers here to steal 're jobs.

You know what I really hate? Anchor babies. The thought of getting American citizenship just for being in America at time of birth is just crazy. Never mind that's how I got citizenship or that that is how we have always done it, that's not the point. I think we can all agree what we need is a wall with a shoot on site policy to keep em out.

Is America the Great Melting Pot or not? Are we a country of immigrants or not? We can embrace immigration or we can fight it, the difference is with immigration reform people could move here legally and pay into the system properly. It's win-win. Or we can be xenophobic and watch as our borders get less and less secure from actual threats. I have heard our economy wouldn't support actually preventing border crossing anyway. Our choice.
 
👍


After the violence I've witnessed, I'm surprised we don't see Mexicans as refugees. That's basically what many of them are....fleeing violence and corruption for a better life. It wasn't too long ago that people crossed the border freely. To ths day, Mexicans cross the border to shop on our side and contribute to our economy. It's how Nogales began....as a trading port. And people still go back and forth.

In my parents lifetime, nobody gave a crap who came over. They picked our veggies. In fact, we may soon see a rise in watermelon prices because there are no immigrants to pick them. You have to do it by hand and farmer s even offer americans MORE money to do it but they will leave after the first day of work because it's such back breaking labor.

I don't think people get just how much "the illegals" really contribute to our economy. My "liberal town" exists in part because of them lol not because the rich are paying for health care or whatever bull**** dood posted up there.

So, Which is it? Does it cost us money of not?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ille...ion-year-group/story?id=10699317#.UKR0NMVZWe9

Immigrant here, came here in 1980, legally. My family was given the opportunity to come to this country for a better life. We made choices. My father was a medical resident; he went to school in his country for Free and then came here for a career. Although he did not pay for school here, he has contributed greatly by way of his services and taxes he paid for the last 30 years. Paying into the system is crucial to our survival. Sorry, but your utter lack of respect for those working 5 months out of the year to pay taxes is obnoxious. Money may matter LESS to you than some of us and it is NOT about an extra $1000 a year in taxes. Quite Frankly, I could give a rats ass about $1000 a year or in my case may be between $10,000 to $15,000. It is a matter of principle and understanding the value of what this country has to offer. I welcome 100% the idea of immigration; it is what has made our country great. But there has to be some standard that must be followed. Your "illegals" need to be legals so they can work in your liberal town at a fair wage and pay into the system. Remember, everyone must have a fair chance, right? We need to move Forward, right?
 
So, Which is it? Does it cost us money of not?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/ille...ion-year-group/story?id=10699317#.UKR0NMVZWe9

Immigrant here, came here in 1980, legally. My family was given the opportunity to come to this country for a better life. We made choices. My father was a medical resident; he went to school in his country for Free and then came here for a career. Although he did not pay for school here, he has contributed greatly by way of his services and taxes he paid for the last 30 years. Paying into the system is crucial to our survival. Sorry, but your utter lack of respect for those working 5 months out of the year to pay taxes is obnoxious. Money may matter LESS to you than some of us and it is NOT about an extra $1000 a year in taxes. Quite Frankly, I could give a rats ass about $1000 a year or in my case may be between $10,000 to $15,000. It is a matter of principle and understanding the value of what this country has to offer. I welcome 100% the idea of immigration; it is what has made our country great. But there has to be some standard that must be followed. Your "illegals" need to be legals so they can work in your liberal town at a fair wage and pay into the system. Remember, everyone must have a fair chance, right? We need to move Forward, right?

I don't have an utter lack of respect at all. that's your perception. But there is more to legal immigration than what the media portrays. Part of the cost is manning the border with agents and hunting people across the desert. Those figures are skewed....terribly. If there was a better, easier, more affordable path, we could shift our resources.

Yes, we need to move forward. Thankfully, our President also sees it that way.

And if you'd like to discuss this further, I welcome the PM.
 
I don't have an utter lack of respect at all. that's your perception. But there is more to legal immigration than what the media portrays. Part of the cost is manning the border with agents and hunting people across the desert. Those figures are skewed....terribly. If there was a better, easier, more affordable path, we could shift our resources.

Yes, we need to move forward. Thankfully, our President also sees it that way.

Then we are in agreement at least that maybe the "illegals" should be legals? That part would be moving forward. I firmly believe that employing illegal immigrants does cost all of us. I do not have hard numbers or facts, but i believe those not paying into the system will become a burden to society.
 
Then we are in agreement at least that maybe the "illegals" should be legals? That part would be moving forward. I firmly believe that employing illegal immigrants does cost all of us. I do not have hard numbers or facts, but i believe those not paying into the system will become a burden to society.

As I said, we can take it to PM if you want.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am an immigrant too. Paid my fair share in taxes ~double-triple than an average citizen.

Illegals sux... There is a reason they are called illegal crossing border and chit. Because, oh wait... they are NOT legal! Maybe I should start selling cocaine and becoming a pimp because "insert 10 BS reasons" that benefit society. It'll be nice if I can just make babies in any country I want, cross the border without visa/passport and crowd the system for free while sucking all the tax dollars.
 
On a side note: About a year ago I was making some renovation in my house and a company who hire illegals quotes for almost 6k to do the work for me...I thought it was too expensive...Since I speak some spanish I talked to one of the illegals who was working for the company and he did the job for $3500 on the side...It's amazing to see how these companies exploit these people (paying them minimum wage) and these same people turn around and disparaging illegals while exploiting them... Dont think because you are making an 100k+/yr now and it is time for you to unload your frustrations on illegals...THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED AGAINST ALMOST ALL OF US.
 
I am an immigrant too. Paid my fair share in taxes ~double-triple than an average citizen.

Illegals sux... There is a reason they are called illegal crossing border and chit. Because, oh wait... they are NOT legal! Maybe I should start selling cocaine and becoming a pimp because "insert 10 BS reasons" that benefit society. It'll be nice if I can just make babies in any country I want, cross the border without visa/passport and crowd the system for free while sucking all the tax dollars.

you've been watching too much news :meanie:

We needed another thread on cocaine and medicaid babies. Wait, no mention of Escalades?
 
On a side note: About a year ago I was making some renovation in my house and a company who hire illegals quotes for almost 6k to do the work for me...I thought it was too expensive...Since I speak some spanish I talked to one of the illegals who was working for the company and he did the job for $3500 on the side...It's amazing to see how these companies exploit these people (paying them minimum wage) and these same people turn around and disparaging illegals while exploiting them... Dont think because you are making an 100k+/yr now and it is time for you to unload your frustrations on illegals...THE SYSTEM IS RIGGED AGAINST ALMOST ALL OF US.

That's pretty much spot on. People have no problem paying less for some dry wall and then turning around and saying gtfo! But only after THEY benefit in some way. This **** happens everyday people.

I'm not the wacko liberal y'all may think. I love my country. But this blatant disregard for human life because they're on the other side of a fence that cost millions to build is wrong. I get trying to keep out drugs and all that. But the family coming for work? They are the majority of those coming over.

Man, the drug cartels have a nice setup. Next to the biggest consumer of illegal drugs in the world, an impotent government, and a suppressed people. Seems to me that Mexicans are more like refugees escaping the turmoil. Don't be fooled by fancy resorts. Take a walk a few miles outside of them and you'll see. An officer will let a thug out of jail for a pair of Air Jordans.

And yes, I'm feisty. I'm feisty because this matters to me. People matter to me. This country could be a freaking utopia if we get over the "what's in it for me; mentality that exists on both sides of the spectrum. We need to get over the differences and hatefulness. Admittedly, I mess up. I get angry sometimes where I should be trying to reach out. I'm working on it.

I hope Obama keeps his promise with this one. I really, really do. It will be one less obstacle to making this country greater.
 
Last edited:
Taking money from the private sector and transferring it to the public sector will only result in a stagnant economy such as Europe has experienced for the last 30 yrs.

Doesn't that sort of depend on the situation? I could see someone who lived through Soviet Russia saying this, but let's be honest, the US economy right now is becoming a plutocracy and is facing a crisis of demand. There is enough, in fact MORE than enough, capital being held by the "private sector." The dow is way up and profits for corporations have been huge since the (business) recession ended. The problem right now is that there isn't the demand to create a boom cycle. Everyone from the true middle class and lower just do not have the expendable money to buy ****. This can really only be fixed by more jobs and paying workers more. So what the hell do you do when those with capital keep moving jobs away from the US and wages have been stagnant in the face of increased living expenses since the 1970s? Do you think the "private sector" will raise pay and bring back manufacturing to the US out of the goodness of their hearts when they have third world slave labor at their finger tips? Hell no. We are stuck with this ****ty service economy.

That's kinda what's going down right now. Putting your faith in the "magical" free market as if it will always set you free and save you in every situation is a fool's game. This seems to be what the conservatives in the US and the idiots in Europe don't seem to understand. Hence, in Europe, all of these drastic Austerity measures have just done nothing but increased unemployment AND their debt load relative to GDP. They make cuts and they get into what's known as a liquidity trap. Nobody spends money...nobody makes money.

I know it was the vogue thing to be an antikeynesian a few years ago, but the world economy since 2008 has pretty much confirmed the man's economic theory. Spend in the bust, pay it back in the boom. Americans seem to get that one backwards. We had a president start a new drug program for seniors, start two wars on the other side of the globe, and simultaneously cut taxes during the boom...then during the bust, we get caught in a liquidity trap and cut gov't spending and jobs. You are right though, thank God we aren't as stupid as the Europeans. They have a single currency and each country can issue their own bonds. How ****ing stupid....seriously...
 
I will send 2 homeless couple to break into your house and camp there for the rest of your life. Hey, you can't evict them! They are good, I told them to wash your dishes, mop your floor and clean your toilet because Oh I don't know... you told me you don't like doing chores. The least you can do is to let them crash on your sofa. Oh wait, I forget to mention one of them is pregnant and demand their child to be raised in your house. They mention their kid is a genius and you should help them feeding him and be pleased put him as your beneficiaries. :meanie:
 
I will send 2 homeless couple to break into your house and camp there for the rest of your life. Hey, you can't evict them! They are good, I told them to wash your dishes, mop your floor and clean your toilet because Oh I don't know... you told me you don't like doing chores. The least you can do is to let them crash on your sofa. Oh wait, I forget to mention one of them is pregnant and demand their child to be raised in your house. They mention their kid is a genius and you should help them feeding him and be pleased put him as your beneficiaries. :meanie:

🙄
 
WVUPHARM those are all very good points. It's hard to argue with any of that. I do think corporations are building cash reserves due to tax uncertainty, Obamacare and the fiscal cliff. Every CEO you hear on Squawkbox echoes this. China has changed the equation over the last 20 years with their cheap labor and currency manipulation. It's hard to compete with their total communist control of their industry and financials. We will probably go to war with China in 20 years over resources or be annexed by them.

Rxlea, if a hater is someone who doesn't like when people vote solely on the color of one's skin and not on one's economic policies or business experience then I guess I'm a hater. I also don't like when people come here and use all the luxuries of our society without contributing through taxes. They have babies and expect us to pay for them. Hispanics for the most part are Catholic, hard working and chasing the American Dream. These are all republican conservative principles. The repubs were stupid for not courting them and it is their own fault.
 
WVUPHARM those are all very good points. It's hard to argue with any of that. I do think corporations are building cash reserves due to tax uncertainty, Obamacare and the fiscal cliff. Every CEO you hear on Squawkbox echoes this. China has changed the equation over the last 20 years with their cheap labor and currency manipulation. It's hard to compete with their total communist control of their industry and financials. We will probably go to war with China in 20 years over resources or be annexed by them.

Rxlea, if a hater is someone who doesn't like when people vote solely on the color of one's skin and not on one's economic policies or business experience then I guess I'm a hater. I also don't like when people come here and use all the luxuries of our society without contributing through taxes. They have babies and expect us to pay for them. Hispanics for the most part are Catholic, hard working and chasing the American Dream. These are all republican conservative principles. The repubs were stupid for not courting them and it is their own fault.

Who's voting solely on the color of one's skin? That had nothing to do with what we were discussing. I'm not sure where you're going with that.
 
Hey has anyone been hit with the AMT? I think it affects families in the $150k-$350k range. Could make the discussion about raising the >$250k tax bracket or not moot if you get hit by the AMT anyway.
 
3.8% Medicare tax
33% Tax bracket
+3% If Bush tax cuts are not extended for this tax bracket
+ Whatever your state income tax is
====
39.8+%

Some of you are deeply embarassing me. I expect that you understand how a progressive tax works, and not assume that your entire income is taxed at 33% (or 50%, as I read in another post). That is ludicrous, shameful, and ignorant; qualities that should not be associated with our profession. Your duty is to protect and promote the health of the public and to administer quality healthcare. Unless your argument for/against 'Obamacare' includes some consideration of this, I think you might be forgetting that oath you took.
 
Some of you are deeply embarassing me. I expect that you understand how a progressive tax works, and not assume that your entire income is taxed at 33% (or 50%, as I read in another post). That is ludicrous, shameful, and ignorant; qualities that should not be associated with our profession. Your duty is to protect and promote the health of the public and to administer quality healthcare. Unless your argument for/against 'Obamacare' includes some consideration of this, I think you might be forgetting that oath you took.
Hey you cut off the first part of my post. If you read it completely, you'll see that I was only referring to investment income over the $250k threshold.
I kind of agree that the 0.9% on wages does not seem that big. But the 3.8% on investment income is pretty significant. For a dual pharmacist couple, or one pharmacist married to another professional with about $125k income, their combined income is right on the $250k threshold. Then say they want to have a rental property, any net income from that will get taxed at:

3.8% Medicare tax
33% Tax bracket
+3% If Bush tax cuts are not extended for this tax bracket
+ Whatever your state income tax is
====
39.8+%
 
. Your duty is to protect and promote the health of the public and to administer quality healthcare. Unless your argument for/against 'Obamacare' includes some consideration of this, I think you might be forgetting that oath you took.

Are you crazy or on drugs? LOL...We are in this profession for money, lifestyle and the ability to work as little as possible for a decent paycheck. We like to KEEP our money. ALL OF IT preferably.... :laugh: Get it straight. I don't care if it's 10%, 20% or 50%....No one likes to pay for a group of lazy asses. Pay for your own damn healthcare.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Doesn't that sort of depend on the situation? I could see someone who lived through Soviet Russia saying this, but let's be honest, the US economy right now is becoming a plutocracy and is facing a crisis of demand. There is enough, in fact MORE than enough, capital being held by the "private sector." The dow is way up and profits for corporations have been huge since the (business) recession ended. The problem right now is that there isn't the demand to create a boom cycle. Everyone from the true middle class and lower just do not have the expendable money to buy ****. This can really only be fixed by more jobs and paying workers more. So what the hell do you do when those with capital keep moving jobs away from the US and wages have been stagnant in the face of increased living expenses since the 1970s? Do you think the "private sector" will raise pay and bring back manufacturing to the US out of the goodness of their hearts when they have third world slave labor at their finger tips? Hell no. We are stuck with this ****ty service economy.

That's kinda what's going down right now. Putting your faith in the "magical" free market as if it will always set you free and save you in every situation is a fool's game. This seems to be what the conservatives in the US and the idiots in Europe don't seem to understand. Hence, in Europe, all of these drastic Austerity measures have just done nothing but increased unemployment AND their debt load relative to GDP. They make cuts and they get into what's known as a liquidity trap. Nobody spends money...nobody makes money.

I know it was the vogue thing to be an antikeynesian a few years ago, but the world economy since 2008 has pretty much confirmed the man's economic theory. Spend in the bust, pay it back in the boom. Americans seem to get that one backwards. We had a president start a new drug program for seniors, start two wars on the other side of the globe, and simultaneously cut taxes during the boom...then during the bust, we get caught in a liquidity trap and cut gov't spending and jobs. You are right though, thank God we aren't as stupid as the Europeans. They have a single currency and each country can issue their own bonds. How ****ing stupid....seriously...

Is this true? I'll wait until I see it on FOX before I decide....

👍 Knows what he is talking about.
 
I believe the problem is the political system. Politicians in an periodic popular elective system will only seek to gain political points and votes. Hence they formulate policies to do "stimulus" when the economy is bad, but then do tax cuts while times are good. Who cares if there is he'll to pay? That's the next guy's problem.

I don't have full faith in the democratic system because of these short sighted popularity contest driven government and the general ignorance of the populous. Hence I have always been a fan of meritocracy, where leadership is chosen based on merit by peers/people in the know, and is held accountable and evaluated by them. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to have patients pick the medical director, the same is asking for general population to pick the president.