OBGYN LIFESTYLE

Started by docmimi
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docmimi

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it mandatory for obgyns to work in a clinic or can they just work in the hospital with the women that are going into labor ? Also what are their schedules and hours like, do they have shift hours? Will I be able to be there and take care of my 3 kids and watch them grow or am I stuck in the hospital most of the week? Does this specialty affect family and marriage that much since it is portray as such a non-family friendly job?

Thank you!
 
Is it mandatory for obgyns to work in a clinic or can they just work in the hospital with the women that are going into labor ? Also what are their schedules and hours like, do they have shift hours? Will I be able to be there and take care of my 3 kids and watch them grow or am I stuck in the hospital most of the week? Does this specialty affect family and marriage that much since it is portray as such a non-family friendly job?

Thank you!

You can do whatever schedule you like depending on the job you are looking for. There are laborist positions that are pure shift work. You can work in a large group and share call or hang a shingle and go single.

I don't know if you'll be able to take care of your kids. If you do part time work, then it is more likely. Less likely with full time work. But part time work comes with a pay cut etc.