OBGYN Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toft32

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife just finished interviewing at 11 OBGYN residency programs and we're having difficulty figuring out our ROL. We're torn between how to rank two different programs: one that offers a great program, but not a very good location for the spouse, and one that offers in incredible location for the spouse, but the program is lacking in what she is ultimately looking for.

How do you go about making this decision?!?!

She's done incredibly well in medical school and will most likely get her first choice (but obviously that's not guaranteed). I'd list the two programs, but do not want to give away her identity if the programs monitor this site. I definitley wouldn't want to cause any issues with that!

In your expert opinions, what are the better OBGYN residency programs that offer a good balance of OB and GYN? It seems as though some really focus on the GYN part, which is not as interesting to her as OB. Thoughts?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Not quite the answer to your main question (I'll let others answer that part), but just a simple thought to help the decision making process. Remember, residency is only temporary! However, what you learn in residency is permanent. As such, "sacrificing" yourself for 4 years so that your spouse could get optimal training at a good program will be very rewarding in the long run. I know it's a lot more complicated than I'm making it sound, but it all boils down to what both of you hold most dear (a location that offers opportunity/entertainment or a program that guarantees excellent training). I wish you good luck on your decision.

Thanks for responding.
In more recent discussions, we've brought more programs into the mix. Does anyone have any opinions on OBGYN residencies at Parkland (Dallas), U of F - Gainesville, U of M - Ann Arbor, U of A - Tucson, or Mayo - Rochester?

I definitely think she could get great training at any one of those programs, but I do think there big differences in program features, like night floats, call schedules, OB vs GYN, etc...

Has anyone experienced any of these programs first hand and would you be willing to comment on them?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
go to a program that has a night float! It will probably save her sanity and give you two more time together as the calls are less. Also a larger residency program allows more interaction
Good luck
Feel free to email me with specifics
[email protected]

I was wondering if anyone knows about those Chicago programs? How difficult is it to get a spot in ObGyn residency in Chicago in general and which programs are better in terms of reputation, training, options for getting into competitive fellowships after residency training?

Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Program
Cook County Hospital Program
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Program
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center Program
Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center of Chicago Program
Rush University Medical Center Program
St Joseph Hospital Program
University of Chicago Program
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program
St Francis Hospital of Evanston Program
Loyola University Program
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital Program

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer :)

Advocate is a very nice place , people get along and the program has gotten better,it may not be the bes if you are thinking of fellowships, its a comunity hospital. It depends what you want.

delphynium said:
I was wondering if anyone knows about those Chicago programs? How difficult is it to get a spot in ObGyn residency in Chicago in general and which programs are better in terms of reputation, training, options for getting into competitive fellowships after residency training?

Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center Program
Cook County Hospital Program
McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University Program
Mercy Hospital and Medical Center Program
Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Center of Chicago Program
Rush University Medical Center Program
St Joseph Hospital Program
University of Chicago Program
University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago Program
St Francis Hospital of Evanston Program
Loyola University Program
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital Program

Thank you in advance for taking the time to answer :)