OBGYN Residents Gather here plz..

Started by Gypsy04
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gypsy04

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you very much for taking time reading my post. I am an IMGs with previous OBGYN Residency in my home country. I get my ECFMG Certificate. I love being in my career. I have a lot of commitment to this field, i always ranked the top among my colleagues in my home country and my CGP is 3.87 out of 4. I have average scores in USMLE becuase i was studying usmle during my obgyn residency in Egypt. I have i have attempt in CK during this residency too. I have not gotten any interviews, since 2011 after first application.

I moved here to the state becasue i got married to someone who work here. right now i completed step3 exam. I have done three research publications but no hope for any IV.

i was thinking to apply to transitional year, but i dont know how to get one specially that i applied through ERAS once befrore and i did not have any interviews...?please advice about obgyn and Transitional year.

Thx
 
Hope this is not too late for you!

US Clinical experience is important along with the application. Most of the hospitals will ask for this on their application. For US MD/DO students, this is usually not an issue because most if not all of their rotations are done at a US hospital. For students that went to school in the Caribbean, most of their clinical experience during their 3rd and 4th year clerkship is also in a US Hospital. If you are a foreign graduate, completed step1,2, and 3, along with the PE, US experience may be the only difference.

On another note, you have to realize that OBGYN is a VERY competitive field despite what some other people may think. Match rate is usually very high, above 95% 1st round through from what I remember.

We also have to consider a few things as well. Are you now a US citizen? I'm assuming maybe not due to the 5 year limit from permanent resident to US citizenship. Are you at least a permanent resident of the US? or do you require a VISA?

I am not sure about the OBGYN program requirements specifically, but unfortunately, a good amount of ACGME programs have limitations on years after graduation. Some set their limit to 3 and 5 years, while others have the extreme of 1-2 years or don't even have a requirement.

If you are set on becoming a physician, applying through OBGYN may or may not be the best option at this time since you've already tried 3 times. Perhaps your application is lacking certain things I mentioned above? or perhaps, OBGYN is far too competitive nowadays which makes it very hard. Either way, if you are set in becoming a physician, perhaps you should consider other specialty.

Last option: re-apply for medical school in the US.

I know of a young girl whom finished her residency in India, applied 3 years and did not succeed. She applied for DO schools, got into NYCOM, did 4 years of medical school, took her COMLEX and got >90%, she got about 10-15 interviews MDs/DOs mixed evenly.
 
Greetings @sia_simba and all others. I wanted to post in this thread since I have a similar question. I am getting prepared to enter the next match season and I'm having a hard time determining how competitive I am for OB/GYN. Also, I am a male and like others I have struggled with my gender since I have at times been discouraged from the field by others. Regardless, I plan to apply OB/GYN but i would like to be as informed as possible. Here are my credentials: I am an IMG from a Caribbean School (in the Dominican Republic),US citizen, Step 1 229 Step 2CK 242 Step2CS Pass all in the first attempt. I have 8 months of US clinical experience and will be graduating this coming July. Can you shed some light for me?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Jecave,

1. It is hard to predict "How" competitive you are because the competitiveness of each specialty changes per year.
2. There is NO STRUGGLE with gender in the residency application process. All programs for the most part will pick you NOT based on sexual orientation, that is actually illegal.
3. Reason you are probably being steered away from the field is probably the Liability issue.
4. You will/should apply early. That is always key. And also, apply to ALL the programs if possible. Those programs that don't take any IMG, I would maybe steer away from as you will be submitting over 100 applications. I would go through each residency program page, look to see where they take their residents from. Some programs will ONLY take US grads. Also check their cut-off for USMLE scores, most if I remember are either 200 or 220 which is documented on their page, however higher standard upon their evaluation is also dependent. I've dealt with a lot of IMG from off-shore schools, and the trend is usually to apply to A LOT of programs. Even if you spend $5,000 on applications, its a piss in the ocean. Do not be penny wise, pound foolish. You should not worry about US clinical experience as I have mentioned, your clinical rotation counts as US Clinical experience.
5. The scores you have are respectable in my opinion. Also need to consider your "Other" activities, publications, leadership roles, etc. I would NOT worry with those numbers. Make sure you have a good picture. =)

Another thoughts?