Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably not, it's the internet.Is it possible to have a non-pedantic discussion on the internet that doesn’t get taken to the absolute extreme?
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Probably not, it's the internet.Is it possible to have a non-pedantic discussion on the internet that doesn’t get taken to the absolute extreme?
It's kinda "baked in", or the <<raison d'etre>>.Is it possible to have a non-pedantic discussion on the internet that doesn’t get taken to the absolute extreme?
What you wrote is far more rational than the overwhelming majority of posts and likes in this thread. However, I will point out that it is incumbent on you to be willing to have a mature and rational discourse with curious cops, and this often begins with a statement that goes something like this, “Hey Officer, we have rather strict privacy laws that govern what patient information we can release. Help me understand the nature of your investigation so that I can better determine if I’m allowed to discuss this with you.” I’m far more likely to be helpful to an officer is trying to determine if the girl in bed 6 is being trafficked, than say an officer who is trying to determine if the drunk guy in bed 7 was the driver or passenger.I'm a "never talk to the police guy", but I'm not that black and white in my thinking.
I talk with the police all the time, e.g.
What I don't do is just talk to curious cops who are just looking to clear things up...
- On shift.
- If I get pulled over (turns out acting like a normal person seems to be really appreciated and I usually just get a warning, they probably like having a drama free encouter with someone who's sober and not a jerk).
- Calling in that a sketchy guy is hiding on my property. You know what I don't need to do? Get in a fight, maybe even a gun fight with a sketchy guy if I can help it. My life and my loved ones' lives weren't in danger, let someone else deal with it. They did, with a dog.
It started getting twisted when you posted the ridiculous and false claim that talking to the police, “can ONLY get you in trouble.” That’s insane. It really went off the rails when a forum moderator posted a video about not trying to talk your way out of an arrest as if it’s somehow pertinent to interactions with police as part of our jobs. Seriously, they couldn’t tell the difference between free legal advice to suspects being detained by the police versus how we as EPs should be interacting with cops as part of our jobs? So yes, some people should never talk to the police and a select few should probably even avoid eye contact.I’m not sure why this keeps getting twisted. Obviously there are situations where calling the police is a prudent move.
The thread was regarding being asked questions by police unsolicited, and by extension, any other unsolicited request/citation/confrontation by police.
Is it possible to have a non-pedantic discussion on the internet that doesn’t get taken to the absolute extreme?
What you wrote is far more rational than the overwhelming majority of posts and likes in this thread. However, I will point out that it is incumbent on you to be willing to have a mature and rational discourse with curious cops, and this often begins with a statement that goes something like this, “Hey Officer, we have rather strict privacy laws that govern what patient information we can release. Help me understand the nature of your investigation so that I can better determine if I’m allowed to discuss this with you.” I’m far more likely to be helpful to an officer is trying to determine if the girl in bed 6 is being trafficked, than say an officer who is trying to determine if the drunk guy in bed 7 was the driver or passenger.
It started getting twisted when you posted the ridiculous and false claim that talking to the police, “can ONLY get you in trouble.” That’s insane. It really went off the rails when a forum moderator posted a video about not trying to talk your way out of an arrest as if it’s somehow pertinent to interactions with police as part of our jobs. Seriously, they couldn’t tell the difference between free legal advice to suspects being detained by the police versus how we as EPs should be interacting with cops as part of our jobs? So yes, some people should never talk to the police and a select few should probably even avoid eye contact.
There are literally hundreds of EP-police discussions each day that involve rational discourse about crimes committed in our communities. The overwhelming majority are legal, compliant with HIPAA, serve the greater good of our society, and come at no harm to the physician. In fact interacting with LE is such an integral part of our jobs as emergency physicians that our residencies often have shared didactic instruction with LE (ie range day, lectures on ballistics and wounding, SWAT operations, preservation of evidence, etc).
It’s not always easy to know when they’re asking for your help and actually investigating you. Maybe you missed the part where I was questioned about a case and only realized in retrospect that I was personally being investigated. For nonreporting of NAT (which had no hallmarks of NAT).What you wrote is far more rational than the overwhelming majority of posts and likes in this thread. However, I will point out that it is incumbent on you to be willing to have a mature and rational discourse with curious cops, and this often begins with a statement that goes something like this, “Hey Officer, we have rather strict privacy laws that govern what patient information we can release. Help me understand the nature of your investigation so that I can better determine if I’m allowed to discuss this with you.” I’m far more likely to be helpful to an officer is trying to determine if the girl in bed 6 is being trafficked, than say an officer who is trying to determine if the drunk guy in bed 7 was the driver or passenger.
It started getting twisted when you posted the ridiculous and false claim that talking to the police, “can ONLY get you in trouble.” That’s insane. It really went off the rails when a forum moderator posted a video about not trying to talk your way out of an arrest as if it’s somehow pertinent to interactions with police as part of our jobs. Seriously, they couldn’t tell the difference between free legal advice to suspects being detained by the police versus how we as EPs should be interacting with cops as part of our jobs? So yes, some people should never talk to the police and a select few should probably even avoid eye contact.
There are literally hundreds of EP-police discussions each day that involve rational discourse about crimes committed in our communities. The overwhelming majority are legal, compliant with HIPAA, serve the greater good of our society, and come at no harm to the physician. In fact interacting with LE is such an integral part of our jobs as emergency physicians that our residencies often have shared didactic instruction with LE (ie range day, lectures on ballistics and wounding, SWAT operations, preservation of evidence, etc).
So you’re telling me that you can’t distinguish between being a victim and not a suspect?6 years of law enforcement experience (3 local and 3 federal) before making the career change to keeping people alive long after their expiration date. Thus, I probably have a bit of a different take than many on this forum.
The rule “never talk to the police” and “talking to the police can never help you” sounds like great advice for people who don’t have the common sense to distinguish when the interaction is because they are a suspect, witness, or victim of crime.
In other words, I’m curious to know if the law enforcement mutes follow their own advice when the cops show up because that patient’s family member kicked THEIR ass for not refilling the oxy, or someone put a gun in THEIR face in the parking deck and demanded the car keys. Or, do you follow your own advice, refuse to talk to the cops, and just go home and put an ice pack on your face?
Keep in mind that many crimes are solved by witnesses willing to come forward and, you know, talk to the police.
…talking about the police… and the police are easily triggered.Probably not, it's the internet.
It really went off the rails when a forum moderator posted a video about not trying to talk your way out of an arrest as if it’s somehow pertinent to interactions with police as part of our jobs
In my state, the minimum initial training to be a cop is 2 weeks. Yes, they are with a FTO after that, but they are uniform, carrying a firearm, and have arrest powers after 80 hours of training.…talking about the police… and the police are easily triggered.
If I just started blasting away because an acorn fell, I doubt I would be free to walk away from the person I tried to kill.
In NY it's 1095 hours. So, more like paramedic than your EMT hours.In my state, the minimum initial training to be a cop is 2 weeks. Yes, they are with a FTO after that, but they are uniform, carrying a firearm, and have arrest powers after 80 hours of training.
Yeah, but that’s not exactly what you posted.You threw that video up there with the comment, “Fantastic lecture on why not to talk to the police…” with no qualification and in the context of other posts about never talking to the police as we conduct or jobs as physicians.While the video did not discuss the scenario posted by OP (e.g. being asked to state "on the record" what your thoughts about a case were), I still thought it was a relevant reminder that seemingly innocuous conversations with the police may carry legal ramifications.
If this somehow came across as derisive or offensive, that was not my intent. I certainly do not view this information as inflammatory or decidedly off topic, however, I am also not approaching this from the perspective of a former LEO.
Do you know the minimum number of intubations an EP in residency must have according to the ACGME?In my state, the minimum initial training to be a cop is 2 weeks. Yes, they are with a FTO after that, but they are uniform, carrying a firearm, and have arrest powers after 80 hours of training.
I could show you a former cop who started with a badge and a gun with two weeks of training. I won't online, but he runs the private security company that covers the ER I work at. He was a a cop for several years before leaving to have his own gig. He became a cop when he was 18 years old.Now, you show me a police officer who was given a badge and a gun after 80 hours of training, and I’ll work on finding you an EP who completed EM residency with just 35 intubations under their belt. I’m not saying that neither exists - I am saying that neither is the norm…and that both minimums are pathetic and an embarrassment.
No it isn't.Probably not, it's the internet.
Remember that time a police officer entered the wrong apartment and murdered the lease holder... and it took 3 days before the police decided to actually arrest her? Her union paid for her defense. Do you think that if I went into the wrong apartment and murdered the people inside I'd enjoy an extra 72 hours of freedom?It’s also telling when forum members start posting the extreme examples of police misconduct such as the acorn shooting as reasons for not talking to police.
Scottie Scheffler. Still think you’re safe because you’re a physician and follow the rules?
Avoid police interactions at all cost.
Scottie Scheffler. Still think you’re safe because you’re a physician and follow the rules?
Avoid police interactions at all cost.
Yes. The number 1 ranked millionaire white golfer that was on his way to the tournament. Was trying his best to follow instructions in an unclear situation. And yet STILL got assaulted by a police officer and is facing felony charges now. It’s a perfect example.The golfer? that’s your example?
I think assaulted is a bit dramatic here and race is irrelevant. Confusing situation in which an officer made bad choices, will likely be reprimanded, and Scheffler will likely get all charges dropped.Yes. The number 1 ranked millionaire white golfer that was on his way to the tournament. Was trying his best to follow instructions in an unclear situation. And yet STILL got assaulted by a police officer and is facing felony charges now. It’s a perfect example.
The officer pushed him against the car. Assault.I think assaulted is a bit dramatic here and race is irrelevant. Confusing situation in which an officer made bad choices, will likely be reprimanded, and Scheffler will likely get all charges dropped.
Regardless of the situation specifics, of which all signs point to the officer being an unreasonable ego-driven brute who essentially created a situation where he injured his own self, I’m sure Scheffler wishes that in retrospect he could have just…avoided a police interaction in the first place. Which goes back to the beginning topic of this thread.I’m not it’s at all clear what happened. The office banged on the window and he drug the officer instead of stopping. He was out on his own recognizance with no bail or anything in time to make his tee time, which was certainly special treatment.
In this situation, if he wasn’t a golfer in the tournament then he wouldn’t have been waved to go around by anybody (I believe the players all have courtesy cars marking them as such and they were being waved around) so he would have been breaking the law.The officer pushed him against the car. Assault.
So the fact that charges will probably/most likely be dropped negate the fact that he has active felony charges for nothing? What if he wasn’t a famous golfer and just say…a nobody doctor? What about a young black man? Would they still likely get dropped? Maybe just bumped down to a misdemeanor? Why did this happen at all???
I thought you said he was assaulted? If he were black or not a famous golfer you feel like he would have been assaulted harder (morer?).If he wasn’t white or a famous golfer, he would have a good chance of being a felon in the coming months. If he was a young black man, the odds of him having force used against him would drastically increase.
What does my own race have to do with it?
It’s is completely different than interactions with medicine. Agree that bad outcomes are unavoidable with a certain amount of volume. What are the potential GOOD outcomes with unsolicited police interactions? Neutral at best.
You don’t think there’s levels of assault? To use your words, yes you can be assaulted harder.I thought you said he was assaulted? If he were black or not a famous golfer you feel like he would have been assaulted harder (morer?).
I think your race is just as irrelevant as Scottie’s but you’re the one that continues to use hypotheticals largely based on race. Using useless hypotheticals, what if the officer was black?
What are the potential outcomes with anyone unsolicited? That makes no basis for your seemingly anti-police (or should I see neutral at best) views.
The cop also didn’t know who Scottie was so I’m not sure if saying if he were someone else the result would have been worse holds much water. The one thing that Scottie didn’t do was resist and make things much more complicated in an already complicated situation. You’re not going to resist your way out of that situation so comply and let the process play out. When things get escalated, the risk for an unavoidable bad outcome goes way up.You don’t think there’s levels of assault? To use your words, yes you can be assaulted harder.
It’s fairly undeniable that black Americans, especially young black men, get a less fair shake than a famous wealthy white man from the police when taken on the whole. Are you denying any kind of racial discrepancy in policing outcomes? I’m not trying to turn this into a “racism in America” post. I only brought it up because this golfer is statistically the least likely person to have a bad outcome with the police, and yet he is facing felony charges for a misunderstanding. It is relevant for anyone thinking “well, I’ll just cooperate and be fine!”
You posit that I am anti-police, when all I am saying is you should do everything in your power to avoid police interactions. On a personal level, this is the best path to self preservation. This entire thread is about willingly engaging with police when you have no business that requires their help. I think a police force is good for society. For the individual, you should avoid them unless you need their help directly. Otherwise you should stay away, as they can only hurt you. I find nothing contradictory about that belief set.
In NY it's 1095 hours. So, more like paramedic than your EMT hours.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.