Obligatory "help me choose my college" thread

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wpierce118

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Somewhat of a crosspost from the Class of 2013 thread, but I think I'd be remiss not to make a thread about it separately.

Anyway, I've put in most of my applications already as the deadline for January start applications is November 1st (I graduate in December). My top choices are (not necessarily in order):

-University of Chicago
-Northwestern
-Loyola University Chicago
-Boston University
-Northeastern

Loyola is significantly ahead of the rest in terms of preference. And I think my major will be Bio on the pre-med track.

I actually haven't completed my applications to UofC and Northwestern and probably won't since they don't do January start and I would likely not get in. Also, all the advice on this forum seems to be to choose the cheaper and less competitive university you like the best... which for me is Loyola. Would you guys say this is the correct conclusion?

And finally, any recommendations on other colleges to apply to? My general criteria are for medium to large schools in or near cities, specifically Boston and Chicago (but I'm open to other options). My GPA is a mediocre 3.3 (unweighted on a 4.0 scale) and my SAT is a 2270, the reason for the mismatch being that I missed many months of school due to surgeries.

For ECs I own 2 businesses (one making smartphone apps, another a snack shop at my school), am president of a philanthropy club, an RA at my boarding school, have many volunteer hours, and sail competitively.

I've generally decided that Ivies and second tier schools (such as UofC and Northwestern) are out of reach because of my GPA, and for the reasons I mentioned above they might not even be that much better for me in the context of applying to medical school than somewhere like Loyola.

Thoughts?
 
Hello fellow '13er! 🙂

If Loyola is your first choice and is affordable, I don't see why you're applying to other colleges. You also don't need to go to the "least competitive" university. Some people thrive in competitive environments and get bored in slower-paced courses.

Great job on your SAT, but I recommend that you or your guidance counselor send a letter explaining your mismatched lower GPA (definitely not mediocre!). Colleges will take your surgeries in consideration as long as you notify them.

Next, UChicago and Northwestern are definitely not second-tier. That's very silly to say. They are among the most elite colleges in the US.

What state do you live in? It seems like you're from Illinois. Have you looked at UIUC? Have you looked into financial aid at all? Do you know how much you can pay?

I can't help you with finding other colleges though, because I'm probably more clueless about college than you are. 🙂
 
Thanks for the reply, all good points. While LUC might be less competitive on that list of five, I actually applied to a lot more less competitive schools. Loyola seems to be just right for me in terms of boredom versus stress.

I did have my guidance counselor write a letter, and my essay is about a specific experience of mine while in the hospital as well.

As far as Northwestern and UofC go, I certainly don't consider them second rate schools, just a level of competitiveness behind the Ivies. That was all I meant.

And although I'm applying to a lot of Chicago schools, I actually live in Connecticut. So I haven't really considered public universities in Illinois. But I grew up in the Midwest, want to move a reasonable distance away from my folks, and love Chicago, which is why it's my first choice for a place to go to college.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It seems you like Loyola and would enjoy your time there. But I would recommend you decide your college with acceptances come out. Remember to not apply to colleges that you KNOW that you can't afford after financial aid/potential merit aid.

I'm not saying Loyola isn't competitive and that you won't be challenged there. I'm just saying that you should make sure that if you prefer a school where you expand your horizons then don't go to "Remedial Local U Where There's Nothing to Do but Party and Drink". If you're not eligible for in-state tuition, do NOT look into UIUC. Big 10 flagships aren't the best for financial aid. You also seem to like the Chicago area best and Urbana-Champaign might not be for you then. 🙂

If you're parents are fine with that and you can afford to leave Connecticut, then by all means go ahead. If not, you might want to consider UConn.
 
Thanks again, you've pretty much confirmed for me my logic in making my decision.

I'm very lucky to be in a position where I don't need to worry about finances so much. My dad's a doctor himself, and can afford to send me to a relatively expensive school. If money was a big issue, I probably would go to UConn. It sounds like a great school for a great price, and I actually have quite a few friends who are there for premed.

Now I'll just have to wait for my decision from Loyola. While everyone I've talked to has said I'm a shoe in because of my scores and EC's, the complication of applying for January plus the uncertainty of any application means it's no guarantee.